CBSSports/Jerry Palm rankings

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
If we had been able to play a bunch of horrible CUSA teams last year we would probably be higher than 77.

Reactions: mfelske

Gordyo5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 3, 2007
Glenwood, Ia
They are/or a pretty solid team last year as were we. If they played in the Big 12 I am assuming it would have been pretty similar to us. I think the teams are pretty even, the only real question is which school did they rank accurately us at 77 or them at 55.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
So what exactly did they use to come up with this rating?

"The CBSSports.com 124 rankings are produced by Jerry Palm's own computer formula. They measure how a team has performed against its schedule this season to date, including game location. Margin of victory is a consideration, to a degree. The date the game was played, the name on the front of the jersey, the name on the front of the opponents' jerseys, conference affiliation and what a team did last year are not factors.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
So what exactly did they use to come up with this rating?

"The CBSSports.com 124 rankings are produced by Jerry Palm's own computer formula. They measure how a team has performed against its schedule this season to date, including game location. Margin of victory is a consideration, to a degree. The date the game was played, the name on the front of the jersey, the name on the front of the opponents' jerseys, conference affiliation and what a team did last year are not factors.

So shouldn't every team be tied for #1??

Or if he factors in returning players but not how they did last year??

Holy worthless ranking system!

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
So shouldn't every team be tied for #1??

Or if he factors in returning players but not how they did last year??

Holy worthless ranking system!

It's an okay ranking system, but a worthless preseason ranking system. It shouldn't come out until after about week 4 or 5.

So I really want to know, did they just post the end of season rankings from last year?

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
It's an okay ranking system, but a worthless preseason ranking system. It shouldn't come out until after about week 4 or 5.

So I really want to know, did they just post the end of season rankings from last year?

That's a key point: It says it measures how a team has performed "against its schedule this season to date." That seems reasonable.

I realize any system has to start somewhere ... I find it amusing where ISU is placed as a starting point.

Iowa State would beat the following teams ahead of it on this list at least 8 times out of 10 (not even counting anybody in the top 30):

UL-Lafayette
Western Michigan
Ohio
FIU
Arkansas State
La. Tech
Miami Ohio
San Jose State
UL-Freaking Monroe

On the flipside, some teams listed below Iowa State could probably split a 10-game series: Texas Tech, UConn are examples.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
No surprising to them, considering they only lost one game to a team ranked outside the top 10.... and that team was in the top 25

Baffan

Aug 22, 2007
Ames, IA
Does anyone know if the the SOS he has listed for each team are similar to those on other credible sites? Just noticed half of the Big 10 are shown in the top 10 of SOS, and considering Minnesota is at #9, we are at #12, and they play UNLV, Syracuse, Purdue, W. Michigan, New Hampshire, Illinois, etc. it's not the Big 10's non-cons that are pushing them up that high.

I guess he doesn't specifically list that the SOS has anything to do with his ranking system, and for all I know he could have the SOS of each team perfect. It's just surprising to me is all.

Last edited: