CBS Season predictions...ISU both overrated and underrated..

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

Common theme throughout ISU’s preseason analysis wherever you look. If you are of the opinion that losing DM and Butler is going to kill this team regardless of the team’s other strengths, then ISU is overrated and they may struggle to be in the top half of the conference.

If you’re of the opinion that ALL teams lose top talent every year, but realize that ISU is a young team yet is loaded with returning starters, has not only the Big 12’s best defense (that was probably a bigger factor in ISU’s success last year than even DM or Butler was), but one of the nation’s best defenses, and a young QB that’s perhaps a Heisman front runner in a couple of years, then 3rd is a safe pick for this team and they should be competing for a conference title.

L

LincolnWay187

Common theme throughout ISU’s preseason analysis wherever you look. If you are of the opinion that losing DM and Butler is going to kill this team regardless of the team’s other strengths, then ISU is overrated and they may struggle to be in the top half of the conference.

If you’re of the opinion that ALL teams lose top talent every year, but realize that ISU is a young team yet is loaded with returning starters, has not only the Big 12’s best defense (that was probably a bigger factor in ISU’s success last year than even DM or Butler was), but one of the nation’s best defenses, and a young QB that’s perhaps a Heisman front runner in a couple of years, then 3rd is a safe pick for this team and they should be competing for a conference title.
Man let's not mention the H word. If he lights the world on fire this year then maybe we think about it

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I think I agree with Chip's take that we're getting a little overrated. That'd be a big jump for us to comfortably be better than those 3-6 range teams in the B12.

• Agree
Reactions: CYCLNST8

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I think I agree with Chip's take that we're getting a little overrated. That'd be a big jump for us to comfortably be better than those 3-6 range teams in the B12.
I don't know if comfortably better should be the phrasing, but I'd certainly say we are better than Baylor, TCU, TTU, and OSU. The defenses for Baylor, TTU, and OSU have been pretty bad, TTU has a brand new coach, and OSU will have a brand new QB. TCU should be solid on defense but they're not even sure who's going to get the QB start yet.

Maybe we aren't comfortably better than those teams, but I'd venture to say we are definitely the most comfortable pick to get 3rd place in the Big 12.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Man let's not mention the H word. If he lights the world on fire this year then maybe we think about it

I’m not talking about this year. He keeps playing like he did last year and in his senior season he’s in the conversation. He improves upon the previous year every year and his senior season he’s a front runner.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
"Rolls into November undefeated."

That would mean at least a top ten, if not a top five, ranking before playing OU and UT.

tenor.gif

• Agree
Reactions: xboxfever

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Part of me will always be half-sceptical of a breakaway Top 10 type of season hype as we are still fairly shallow in some key areas.

While we have a solid QB (could end up being our best ever... long ways to go though), our RB situation is actually more concerning to me than to most.

I think we have a great future with solid QB and RB classes lined up, but those take a while to develop. We don't yet have a featured back but rather a bunch of guys good at one or two things and week at one or two things. We have a decent group of receivers, but they're going to have to get more separation to be consistent.

We have a solid D, but they still have another year or two to fill some weaknesses and depth issues.

I love our path, I just think some are forgetting the fairly small margin for error we have against a strong schedule. If we get breaks and stay healthy, we could absolutely finish in the 2-3 spot in the league, but I could also see us ending up in the 5-6 spot. We have a target on our backs for once and are going to need to be very disciplined on D yet assertive/creative on O to seperate from the TCU, TTU, OSU, Baylor pack.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
We have a target on our backs for once and are going to need to be very disciplined on D yet assertive/creative on O to seperate from the TCU, TTU, OSU, Baylor pack.
I would apply the "creative" to D as well. The Big 12 has seen how dangerous Heacock's defense can be and have had an offseason to prepare for it so it will be Campbell/Heacock's move to change the game once again. I'm drinking all kinds of Kool-Aid after hearing that Campbell said that you can't dabble in this defense, you have to major in it (paraphrase). That tells me that they are prepared with all sorts of tweaks to keep Big 12 offenses guessing and off balance again this season.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Sooo not used to having a target on our backs. Pundits keep pointing to our offensive line returning all five starters as a good thing- I wish I shared their optimism. I keep thinking about the team that got smacked around by Texas and embarrassed by Drake. Our play against Kansas State & Washington State was ugly in the 1st half of both games. I'll drink the Koolaid if we can dominate UNI & bring home the CyHawk trophy. I'd like to see us try to replace the production of Montgomery & Butler with our tight ends. I see us having a possible advantage there.

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
. . . except Chip says ISU is the most overrated team [emphasis mine]. Stong finish, feel-good team. Sure that can mean a little ratings bump.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I don't know if we're overrated. But I feel like anything short of a Playoff berth and a Heisman trip will be disappointing to a lot of fans.

Preseason hype koolaid happens every year, but this stuff seems really potent this year.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I don't know if we're overrated. But I feel like anything short of a Playoff berth and a Heisman trip will be disappointing to a lot of fans.

Preseason hype koolaid happens every year, but this stuff seems really potent this year.

Remember when just getting to 6-6 was drinking the rat poison?

That was like a few years ago.

• Funny

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Part of me will always be half-sceptical of a breakaway Top 10 type of season hype as we are still fairly shallow in some key areas.

While we have a solid QB (could end up being our best ever... long ways to go though), our RB situation is actually more concerning to me than to most.

I think we have a great future with solid QB and RB classes lined up, but those take a while to develop. We don't yet have a featured back but rather a bunch of guys good at one or two things and week at one or two things. We have a decent group of receivers, but they're going to have to get more separation to be consistent.

We have a solid D, but they still have another year or two to fill some weaknesses and depth issues.

I love our path, I just think some are forgetting the fairly small margin for error we have against a strong schedule. If we get breaks and stay healthy, we could absolutely finish in the 2-3 spot in the league, but I could also see us ending up in the 5-6 spot. We have a target on our backs for once and are going to need to be very disciplined on D yet assertive/creative on O to seperate from the TCU, TTU, OSU, Baylor pack.

Hard to say the D is a year or two away - seems like this is about as ready for prime-time a defense at ISU is going to be. Bailey, Lima, Johnson, Leo are SRs up front, Spears, Lewis and Bickham are also Srs. Not to mention Eisworth and Uwazurike being R Jrs, I don't think it's out of the question they blow up and leave for the NFL.

Not that it is "now or never" by any means, but the D is ready this year. Payne was a good CB, but the D probably played better when Johnson was in and Payne moved to S. Peavy was obviously terrific, but late in the season last year he was really banged up. Johnson and Young played really well, and Campbell made it sound in one interview like King may have passed up Young.

Harvey was very good as well, but the potential of McDonald plus the experience of Vance and Hummel leave the LBs in good shape this year.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
It really seems we are the sexy pick for a Big 12 championship/runner up.

However, with the resurgence of Texas, I don't see it working out that way. Would love to be proven wrong.

• Agree
Reactions: Jer

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Sooo not used to having a target on our backs. Pundits keep pointing to our offensive line returning all five starters as a good thing- I wish I shared their optimism. I keep thinking about the team that got smacked around by Texas and embarrassed by Drake. Our play against Kansas State & Washington State was ugly in the 1st half of both games. I'll drink the Koolaid if we can dominate UNI & bring home the CyHawk trophy. I'd like to see us try to replace the production of Montgomery & Butler with our tight ends. I see us having a possible advantage there.

This is exactly where I am, especially in reference to the O line. If we can dominate the LOS against UNI and run the ball effectively against Iowa, I'll start to buy in even more.

• Agree