CBS: Palm's August bracketology

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
agree on most of the picks. Except I don't think Nova is going to be a top team. Dont think Wisconsin is going to make the tournament this year, nor Florida State.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
The Big 12 only getting 5 teams in is less than believable...

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
I dont think we will make the tournament this year but I also think its pretty ridiculous to leave a team that has made the tournament the past 6 years off bubble consideration. Its not as if we replaced Monte with a mid tier recruit. Lindel Wigginton and co will have us on the bubble at least, IMO.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Quick-look analysis. A month from now, I might feel completely different.

Most glaring at-large omissions - all could be bubble area, but aren’t listed in Palm’s first out/next out
American: UConn
Big Ten: Illinois
Big 12: OU, Iowa State
MVC: UNI (if Illinois State is 9 seed, it’ll be 2-bid league)
MWC: Nevada
Pac-12: Utah

Seed too high (but could make the field)
SEC: Missouri

Auto-bids look OK. My way-too-early disagreements:
C-USA: WKU
MAC: Ohio
WAC: Grand Canyon

Reactions: rholtgraves

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I dont think we will make the tournament this year but I also think its pretty ridiculous to leave a team that has made the tournament the past 6 years off bubble consideration. Its not as if we replaced Monte with a mid tier recruit. Lindel Wigginton and co will have us on the bubble at least, IMO.

Yeah, given the program's recent track record you'd think they would get the benefit of the doubt. But I get it. They lost a ton of production from last year. The pundits are going to want to see how the new guys respond and how the returners look in their new roles.

I wouldn't be shocked if they're among the bubble teams by the end of February. It'll just take time for Prohm to tinker with the lineups and rotations and for the freshmen to adjust to the college game.

Last edited:
  • Agree

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Yeah, given the program's recent track record you'd think they would get the beneift of the doubt. But I get it. They lost a ton of production from last year. The pundits are going to want to see how the new guys respond and how the returners look in their new roles.

Just another example of the lack of respect. Although I've never considered Jerry Palm to be someone of high intelligence.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

I think its ridiculous to keep this team off the bubble talk, even if they only made the tourney the last few years. This is a textbook bubble team, IMO. Im thinking somewhere around 8-10 in the Big 12 (with a key win or 2), and 18-12 overall, and go 1-1 in the Big 12 tourney.

• Agree
Reactions: CloneFan4

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
I don't see Texas as a 6.
Purdue lost a stud and are a 4?

But that's all Purdue lost, at least in terms of meaningful production. Not that hard to imagine between everyone else getting a year older and presumably better and a solid recruiting class that Purdue has a similar season to this past one. I think Vince Edwards is ready to carry the load for that team he could be in the running for Big 10 POY.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I think its ridiculous to keep this team off the bubble talk, even if they only made the tourney the last few years. This is a textbook bubble team, IMO. Im thinking somewhere around 8-10 in the Big 12 (with a key win or 2), and 18-12 overall, and go 1-1 in the Big 12 tourney.

Could be. A lot depends on how well the non conference schedule goes. If they struggle early it'll be tough to climb out of that hole in conference play. What's your bare minimum of non conference wins to have a realistic chance of being on the bubble in March? Eight? Nine? That's not impossible, but it's a tall order for a team with a lot of new faces.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Could be. A lot depends on how well the non conference schedule goes. If they struggle early it'll be tough to climb out of that hole in conference play. What's your bare minimum of non conference wins to have a realistic chance of being on the bubble in March? Eight? Nine? That's not impossible, but it's a tall order for a team with a lot of new faces.

To be a bubble team, I think your goal should be about 18-20 wins going into selection Sunday. Knowing that, I think you want to go about 9-3 in the non-con.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
To be a bubble team, I think your goal should be about 18-20 wins going into selection Sunday. Knowing that, I think you want to go about 9-3 in the non-con.

Gonna have to lean pretty hard on the vets early on to get nine wins out of the non conference. I think Jackson is up for it. The wild card is Babb.

Help Support Us

Become a patron