CBS Early Big XII Power Rankings

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
And that is exactly what eventually did him in at Illinois. He won with Self's recruits and then went downhill.

Weber actually kept Illinois at a decent level even until year 5, compared to KSU. U-I was in upper-division B10 seasons 1-4, at K-State it was a steadier drop-off ... last season was an uptick, but also in sixth season at Illinois, rose back to 2nd in conference.

But overall results are comparable between the two situations. Sometimes a little better than expected, some years, potential appears high but doesn't quite reach that level.

Weber hasn't advanced past round-of-32 since 2010-11.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Some K-State fans believe this coming year State will challenge for second place. I know, that's an absurd goal but reality in this league. Self could send out a bunch of one-armed paperhangers and host another pennant ceremony.

Anyway, it always surprises me how undervalued rivals see the other guy, while homers see the stars.

In defense, K-State returns three starters and will be far deeper in talent than last year. DJ's loss will be the biggest hole to fill. Kid had great heart although he was oft injured. Wes was solid particularly at the close, but Xavier Sneed will easily step into that slot.

And regarding coach Weber, I know he's an easy target. But once more, the fact is he's the only coach not named Bill Self that has hoisted the trophy. The Foster mess set his program back years. I'd say this team will tell more about his abilities than any since Marcus got run.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Some K-State fans believe this coming year State will challenge for second place.

giphy.webp

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I would be willing to wager, a little side coinage, that K-State MrBB finishes higher than ISU football. Want?

Well I think ISU football will finish 8th or 9th so no I'm not going to bet that since I wouldn't be surprised to see K State somehow finishing 7th. You have arguably the worst coach in the league and arguably the weakest roster too but who knows how Tech, Okie State and OU/Texas will be this year. All I know is Weber isn't finishing second this year where I guess you could say Campbell has a 1% chance

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Well I think ISU football will finish 8th or 9th so no I'm not going to bet that since I wouldn't be surprised to see K State somehow finishing 7th. You have arguably the worst coach in the league and arguably the weakest roster too but who knows how Tech, Okie State and OU/Texas will be this year. All I know is Weber isn't finishing second this year where I guess you could say Campbell has a 1% chance
If you feel that way, I'm surprised you aren't ready to back your position. Which only validates what I've felt all along about the Weber bash cabal, which is quite different than the Wabash. :rolleyes:

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
If you feel that way, I'm surprised you aren't ready to back your position. Which only validates what I've felt all along about the Weber bash, which is quite different than the Wabash. :rolleyes:

Weber is either the 9th or 10th best coach in the league and I bet you'd have a hard time finding a weaker roster than yours. Texas could absolutely suck this year even though they have a better roster and Smart is a better coach than Weber

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Some K-State fans believe this coming year State will challenge for second place. I know, that's an absurd goal but reality in this league. Self could send out a bunch of one-armed paperhangers and host another pennant ceremony.

Anyway, it always surprises me how undervalued rivals see the other guy, while homers see the stars.

In defense, K-State returns three starters and will be far deeper in talent than last year. DJ's loss will be the biggest hole to fill. Kid had great heart although he was oft injured. Wes was solid particularly at the close, but Xavier Sneed will easily step into that slot.

And regarding coach Weber, I know he's an easy target. But once more, the fact is he's the only coach not named Bill Self that has hoisted the trophy. The Foster mess set his program back years. I'd say this team will tell more about his abilities than any since Marcus got run.

K State has less talent than KU, Texas, OU, Baylor, WVU, and TCU. That automatically puts them in the bottom tier. It is not about seeing rivals or being a homer. It is about reality. In reality, Johnson and Iwundu were the best players on the team last year for KState, they are gone and if you look at the recruits and redshirts that will replace them, it is hard to say they will be better than last year. They also lost Maurice who was the presumed starter at the 5 for them. They could even be the same as last year but have a worse record. If you look at Tech, I would take Evans and Smith over any KState players. I could see Kstate finish anywhere from 6th to 9th.

• Agree
Reactions: CyTwins

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I was only asking him to validate. It wasn't intended as a quote.
Asking him to take a bet that doesn't resemble the position he put forward does nothing to validate. I might be able to finish higher than you in a tennis tournament but I still have 0 chance of coming in second at Wimbledon. I'm not going to argue whether he is right or wrong, but him not taking your contrived bet means nothing.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
This is wash, rinse, repeat logic from last year. Did y'all cut&paste or retype these thoughts, when every one of you had State 9 or 10? They finished a game out of the top half. It will happen again. And then they'll be all kinds of rationalization here to validate, or it will be as silent as the lambs.

Whatever, I'm open to the above wager for anyone willing to put their money where their opinions lay. K-State will be way better than projected here this winter, just as they were last. A fact ISU fans continue to ignore, BTW.

I have State finishing at #5.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
@surly

I really like Weber's ability to find good players that aren't rated particularly highly, but it's hard to look at that recruiting class and expect a whole lot from it. And from a non-homer perspective, here is what you have coming back.

Stokes: Decent player, but possibly the worst starting PG in the B12 this upcoming year. That's not a joke. The league is loaded there.
Brown: Great defensive player, below average offensively.
Sneed: Good player. How big a step does he take his sophomore year?
Wade: Good player, but a stretch 4 won't get you 2nd place in the B12. He won't be able to make up for Johnson's rebounding and defense inside. You're probably going to throw a bunch of young, fresh, bigs out there, and it's going to be foul fest nightmare a lot of the season.

Last edited:

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
This is wash, rinse, repeat logic from last year. Did y'all cut&paste or retype these thoughts, when every one of you had State 9 or 10? They finished a game out of the top half. It will happen again. And then they'll be all kinds of rationalization here to validate, or it will be as silent as the lambs.

Whatever, I'm open to the above wager for anyone willing to put their money where their opinions lay. K-State will be way better than projected here this winter, just as they were last. A fact ISU fans continue to ignore, BTW.

I have State finishing at #5.

I like how you try to make last year sound better. "a game out of the first half". They were 6th in a down year and had a losing conference record and lose their best players. Only a homer would think they will do better. Especially without any apparent talent infusion and other teams seeming to get better. As I said, I can see KState finish anywhere from 6th to 9th. You are willing to wager something on a bet no one made but you... They also weren't way better than projected last year. I am not sure what projections you were looking at.

• Winner
  • Informative
Reactions: Raider and CyTwins

Help Support Us

Become a patron