CB Question for Iowa Fans

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
Will post this on FB and hope it doesn't go south.

Did not see the UNI game, but my impression is that UNI did a good job in the passing game, and many Iowa fans feel that Castillo and Greenwood are the weaker links of the Iowa defense.

Question - Since ISU will be running a lot of 4 receiver sets, you not only need Castillo and Greenway, but will also need yet another CB on the field. Who is the next guy in?

Or do you think Norm Parker will leave the 3 LB on the field and have one of them try to cover a receiver? That plan worked out so well for you against Bates. I would be in favor of this and I think Herman would appreciate this strategy as well.

This seems to be a potential mismatch that has not gotten much discussion yet. LB is a strength of Iowa, but how much will all 3 get to play?

Last edited:

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006

Did not see the UNI game, but my impression is that UNI did a good job in the passing game, and many Iowa fans feel that Castillo and Greenway are the weaker links of the Iowa defense.

Question - Since ISU will be running a lot of 4 receiver sets, you not only need Castillo and Greenway, but will also need yet another CB on the field. Who is the next guy in?

Or do you think Norm Parker will leave the 3 LB on the field and have one of them try to cover a receiver? That plan worked out so well for you against Bates. I would be in favor of this and I think Herman would appreciate this strategy as well.

This seems to be a potential mismatch that has not gotten much discussion yet. LB is a strength of Iowa, but how much will all 3 get to play?

I think Greenwood is the name your thinking of. Anyway, from parts of the game I caught, Iowa's D was lining up in the Nickel fairly regularly and obviously in Dime at the end of the game.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I'm sure there will be a lot of the base defense. It won't matter as much if Iowa sticks in their zone. It's when they blitz and have to play man-to-man that it gets shaky.

Regardless, both players mentioned have to play better this week.

mizouse87

Aug 3, 2006
Des Moines
My opinion of this scenario is this. Iowa needs to first stop the run. This would force ISU to pass consistently thus allowing Iowa to switch gears and put in a nickel back to help cover. I think this is a glaring weakness of Iowa's, especially against a team like ISU.

If Iowa were to stick with a 4-3 the whole game I certainly like our chances of moving the ball against them. Still need to prove dominance in the red zone however because you can certainly bet they'll employ a 4-3 look in the red zone.

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA
Its my understanding that Iowa very rarely puts a 5th DB on the field. They usually just slide their LBs out into coverage spots, where most teams would insert another DB and take out a LB. I'm hoping this is true, because I feel like we might have an advantage here.

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
Well every Hawk fan that i've talked to has said we will move the ball because the spread always works against Norm Parkers schemes....

The bottom line is, can we score touchdowns when we have our shot...we score touchdowns this game will be an easy one.....because we force iowa out of its strength.......

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames
Nothing against Austin, but he needs to work on his quick slants over the weekend. Some of those were just terrible. The touchdown wasn't a slant. That was a route where Marquis ran to a spot in the zone and waited for the pass.

Once you make the corners respect the slant and inside routes, it opens the side lines for our big recievers.

cychhosis

May 12, 2006
S.E. Iowa
My opinion of this scenario is this. Iowa needs to first stop the run. This would force ISU to pass consistently thus allowing Iowa to switch gears and put in a nickel back to help cover. I think this is a glaring weakness of Iowa's, especially against a team like ISU.

I think we're more likely to pass in an effort to establish the run.:yes:

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
Nothing against Austin, but he needs to work on his quick slants over the weekend. Some of those were just terrible. The touchdown wasn't a slant. That was a route where Marquis ran to a spot in the zone and waited for the pass.

Once you make the corners respect the slant and inside routes, it opens the side lines for our big recievers.

Austen has to be disciplined and take what the defense gives him and not force things because of his arm strength.

If he cannot do that Iowa wins this handily.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Well every Hawk fan that i've talked to has said we will move the ball because the spread always works against Norm Parkers schemes....

The bottom line is, can we score touchdowns when we have our shot...we score touchdowns this game will be an easy one.....because we force iowa out of its strength.......

Wow.

DodgerHawki

Apr 1, 2009

Did not see the UNI game, but my impression is that UNI did a good job in the passing game, and many Iowa fans feel that Castillo and Greenwood are the weaker links of the Iowa defense.

Panthers had success early throwing in front of Castillo. He played better as the game went on. At other times UNI had success throwing over the middle, wearing out the area between Angerer/Hunter at LB and Iowa's two safeties. They got one ball over the top to Herring in between Sash and Greenwood. TV shot was too tight to tell which safety was at fault. My guess is you will see Iowa in a lot of base defense, except on those occassions where it's 3rd and real long.

homerHAWKeye777

May 27, 2009
Lincoln, NE

It's largely ignorant Hawkeye fans who are trying to throw Greenwood under the bus. Pat Grace was just doing a good job of finding the seams in the zone. All zone Ds have exploitable weaknesses and Grace was taking advantage of exactly those susceptibilities. I anticipate that Arnaud will do the same.

Grace was also "picking" on Castillo ... and smartly so. However, Castillo was still playing within himself and within the scheme. All in all, I think that he did a pretty good job. Arnaud will be able to pick on him too ... however, he did a really good job of keeping things in front of him and tackling. Thus, if he keeps that up. at least ISU won't get a lot of yards after catch.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
??? pretty easy concept. ISU will move the ball a lot and get lots of yards, and will win if we capitalize in the redzone. if we dont, we lose. see last year. moved the ball all over the field but couldnt score TD's in the red zone.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
It's largely ignorant Hawkeye fans who are trying to throw Greenwood under the bus. Pat Grace was just doing a good job of finding the seams in the zone. All zone Ds have exploitable weaknesses and Grace was taking advantage of exactly those susceptibilities. I anticipate that Arnaud will do the same.

Grace was also "picking" on Castillo ... and smartly so. However, Castillo was still playing within himself and within the scheme. All in all, I think that he did a pretty good job. Arnaud will be able to pick on him too ... however, he did a really good job of keeping things in front of him and tackling. Thus, if he keeps that up. at least ISU won't get a lot of yards after catch.
i am just hoping they catch the ball...it really seemed like we had more than our fair share of dropped(poor thrown) passes.

Gitwitit

Dec 31, 2008
Castillo did what Norm Parker wanted him to do and he kept receivers in front of him and he tackled pretty well for his first game. He didn't give up any big plays.

Grace is a good qb and he did a good job of moving around in the pocket and finding open receivers in the zone gaps. One thing I noticed about him is that he really seems to want to throw first and run second, but he is very capable if he needs to. What I have seen of AA last year against Iowa and against NDSU is that he seemed to want to run more than he wanted to throw (especially in the 1st half).

Iowa doesn't really change their schemes too much so I wouldn't expect to see 5-6 def backs's on the field much of the time. They will have Angerer shadow AA so that he can't run the ball like he did against NDSU and they will probably have edds and hunter in coverage.

It's zone most of the time so AA will need to be accurate in his throws and in his reads.

UNI has a nice offensive line and I thought Iowa still did a pretty good job of getting pressure with 4 guys.

I think it was a blessing in disguise for Iowa to win a close game against a team that runs a spread offense that isn't a whole lot different than some of the things ISU does. That was a great preparation game in my opinion. ISU has faster wr's but overall I think that was about as good of a preparation game that Iowa could have played.

Richard

Apr 18, 2006
As a Hawkeye fan I have been worried about the matchup between the ISU passing game and Iowa's pass defense. I'm also worried about designed QB draws. I may be completely off base, but I was thinking that Parker may try to line up in the 3-4 quite a bit to try and get a little bit more speed on the field.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
??? pretty easy concept. ISU will move the ball a lot and get lots of yards, and will win if we capitalize in the redzone. if we dont, we lose. see last year. moved the ball all over the field but couldnt score TD's in the red zone.

I think he was talking about the John Madden like "if you score touchdowns, you win)

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo

100% fail....

The third quarter td to Marquis was definitely a slant....i had the perfect perspective and even told those around me the safety was walking up to the line of scrimmage - austin read it and so did marquis and the field parted so sweet!!!!! I hope we make similar reads this week.....

But your right, the slants in the first half were horrible and those are the ones you need to move the sticks!!!!!

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

One win over NDSU, and you've arrived at an easy win over Iowa? Of course you'll win if you score lots and lots and lots of TDs. But I guess I missed the part about whether/how ISU's defense stops Iowa. Iowa's offense didn't look like a juggernaut, but NDSU put up 17 and close to 400 yards against you. I guess I was taken aback at how some think it will be an easy win if ISU can convert, completely disregarding their D against Iowa's O. Obviously Iowa looked less than impressive against a good UNI team which deserved a win. But NDSU was within one score of ISU into the 3rd quarter, and a lot of people are treating it as a blowout win.

I fully expect a dogfight Saturday, if either team gets out with an easy win, I'll be shocked.

flander1649

Apr 20, 2006
Kansas City
Visit site
Norm Parker get out of a 4-3 defense...never. Iowa fans complain all the time how Parker just sits in the 4-3 and the d will get picked apart by 4 and 5 wide sets. ISU has a good chance to do it again like they have in the past.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron