Catahoula Leopard Dog - Insight?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Need some guidance here! We had to put our family Welsh Corgi down several months ago and the kids are clamoring for a new dog. We decided to go the "dog pound" route this time and the kids found a beautiful dog named Oscar on petfinders.com in nearby Williamsburg. We went out and met him yesterday and he's a high energy dog with separation anxiety. In short, he's the complete opposite of our recently departed corgi.

Anybody have any experience with and / or knowledge of Catahoula Leopard Dogs? Any insight at all is greatly appreciated, as I don't want to "rescue" this beautiful dog only to find out he's not a good fit due to his temperament versus our active lifestyle (meaning we're gone at football games, baseball tournaments, etc. and he's going to be spending some time alone).

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
I have never heard of this breed. So for the others in the same boat here is a picture. Does look high energy.

catahoul.jpg

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
I have never heard of this breed. So for the others in the same boat here is a picture. Does look high energy.

I know nothing about them either, hence my question to the board. The Wikipedia entry says they're the State Dog of Louisiana and are descended from breeding between wolves and war-dogs brought over by Spanish explorers! They're used in the south for cattle herding and rounding up feral pigs in the brush. In short, my impression is that the breed might not be suited to be a "house-dog" / companion, and I'm wondering if anybody might have experience to counter my concerns. The kids all want him but I'm the one who'll have to deal with any consequences of a poor decision. Help!

If I knew how to insert photos, I'd post a picture of the dog in question; he's a handsome beast!

woodie

Apr 10, 2006
catahoula dogs are excellent cattle dogs.we had one back in the fifties .the dog was great with cattle and also made a good coon hunting dog and was as good at fighting racoons compared to regular coonhounds.

sandy

Apr 27, 2006
Our family had a catahoula leopard when our children were little. Good with kids, but she lived outside on our farm. We raised hogs at the time, and Blue (her name) would climb over the hog panel fence to practice "herding" pigs inside their large pen. The instinct must have been strong! They are kind of a cool dog, as not many have heard of them, and they are so unusual looking, especially if they have those light blue eyes. I have never heard of anyone having one for a house dog. Blue lived in our unfenced yard, and died of natural causes at the age of 5.

Last edited:

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
I live in Louisiana. I have actually been to Catahoula! And as someone said this breed is the "State Dog Of Louisiana".

They are called Catahoula Hounds. The interesting thing is that I have only ever talked with the owner of one...and that was in Annapolis, MD. She said it was a great dog. But then you rarely run into someone that doesn't love their own dog, do you.

joepublic

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
Separation anxiety is a wierd trait to deal with in a dog. My lab would follow me to the can and sit and watch me if I let him.

He's comfortable in his kennel and has a good bladder so we can leave for 5 hours and be ok.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Separation anxiety is a wierd trait to deal with in a dog.

The lady at the rescue shelter says they treat him with one antihistimine tablet (hydroxyzine) in the AM "to take the edge off". That was new to me and possible help for your lab?

joepublic

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
The lady at the rescue shelter says they treat him with one antihistimine tablet (hydroxyzine) in the AM "to take the edge off". That was new to me and possible help for your lab?

We have to give him prednisone for his allergies, and I'm hesitant to give him too many meds. But he definitely needs the edge taken off!

Cyballs

Apr 11, 2006
Waukee
I had a catahoula dog. He was a great dog. Very protective of me. They are protective dogs and you might want to make sure that your kids aren't wrestling with other kids when he is around. My old roommate and I were wrestling and he jump off the couch and started biting him on the leg. I thought I was hurting him and it was my dog nibbling on his leg. Other than that he was a good dog.

abforcy

Apr 20, 2007
Ankeny
Just a little insight about a Catahoula Leopard Dog for you. I work in insurance, we won't insure anyone with this type of breed, they can be very territorial and high strung. They need a lot of room and attention, otherwise they will become testy. I have a high energy dog right now, if you aren't used to walking and playing with it all the time it could be difficult to mold to your family's schedules. If it is a puppy you might have a chance to work with it, if it is older and already has the anxiety, I would suggest finding another fit with the kids. Last thing you want is to have friends over and the dog get over protective.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I've been around a lot of working an dhunting dogs with similar energy level to the Catahoula. My take is if you are able and willin got provide LOTS of exercise and mental stimulation EVERY DAY you will get alonmg just fine. if not these types of dogs ca. be a handful. If you have nevr had a high energy dog before this can be easy to overlook. I currently have a German Shorthair Pointer. He is a great dog and is well trained. But, if he does not get serious exercise every day he will turn into a butthead. One way he will manifest his pent up energy is by chewing on everything in sight including his pen.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Just a little insight about a Catahoula Leopard Dog for you. I work in insurance, we won't insure anyone with this type of breed, they can be very territorial and high strung.

Then to my insurance agent, he'll be "some mutt we picked up at the pound"! :wink0st: I guess everybody knows about insurance company qualms regarding pits, rots & dobies, but is there a list of breeds that are frowned upon? Can you cut & paste it?

In all seriousness, thanks to all who've shared their opinions on the breed. This particular "rescue agency" requires an over-night visit as part of the adoption process, so we'll get to view him in our home environment if we go forward (I've filled out their application). They're also providing a local Catahoula reference for us so we can speak with the owner.

Please keep any thoughts coming; I need all the help I can get...

abforcy

Apr 20, 2007
Ankeny
-The following dogs (or mixes of these dogs) are unacceptable:

o Rottweiler
o Doberman Pinscher
o Akita
o Chow
o American Bandogge Mastiff
o Neopolitan Mastiff
o English Bull Terrier
o Kyiapso
o Alaskan Malamute
o Bull Mastiff
o Presa Canario
o Boerboel
o Wolf Hybrids
o Catahoula (Leopard Dog and Bulldog)
o Trained attack or guard dogs
o Pit Bull breeds including but not limited to the American Pit Bull, American Staffordshire Terrier and the Staffordshire Bull

Kind of interesting to look at, German Shepherds were just removed from our list, but can be sketchy still. I know what you are all thinking I had that and it wasn't bad. Insurance companies have to go on stats, not personal experiences, my brothers both have Rots, I love them, but usually won't insure them! Let me know if you have any other questions! Shorthair pointers are the best hunting/family dogs, my 9 year old male just died last September, it was a shame.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City

o Rottweiler
o Doberman Pinscher
o Akita
o Chow
o Neopolitan Mastiff
o English Bull Terrier
o Kyiapso
o Alaskan Malamute
o Bull Mastiff
o Presa Canario
o Boerboel
o Wolf Hybrids
o Pit Bull breeds including but not limited to the American Pit Bull, American Staffordshire Terrier and the Staffordshire Bull

Kind of interesting to look at, German Shepherds were just removed from our list, but can be sketchy still. I know what you are all thinking I had that and it wasn't bad. Insurance companies have to go on stats, not personal experiences, my brothers both have Rots, I love them, but usually won't insure them! Let me know if you have any other questions! Shorthair pointers are the best hunting/family dogs, my 9 year old male just died last September, it was a shame.

According to the CDC list posted by Cyclones Jer, German Shepards were #3 for involvement in dog-bite related fatalities and Catahoulas appear nowhere on that list (unless they're included in mixed-breed or hounds). Any insight as to why German Shepards were removed? I'm also curious as to why catahoulas were included.
Postscript: no malice intended whatsoever - I'm sincerely trying to make an informed decision on a dog my children desire to adopt!
P.P.S. Do you by any chance represent or work for Allied (my homeowner's carrier)?

ornryactor

Jun 3, 2006
Ames

o Rottweiler
o Doberman Pinscher
o Akita
o Chow
o Neopolitan Mastiff
o English Bull Terrier
o Kyiapso
o Alaskan Malamute
o Bull Mastiff
o Presa Canario
o Boerboel
o Wolf Hybrids

Akitas and Malamutes? Really? Every dog I've ever come across of either breed has been nothing but a big sweetie, even with most strangers. Malamutes have to run around a ton, but I hardly consider that dangerous. Too bad- they're both intelligent, loyal breeds.