Carrchamp--Fan Vote for Hodge

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
To me, the next step for David is adding strong tilts that he can use against the top ranked guys. David was very good at tilting lower ranked guys, and if he can work those against the top ranked guys, I think you see him start to get into that Spencer Lee level of unbeatable at 157 where no matter who steps on the mat against him, you expect him to win by 6+ points. He proved he could ride the top ranked guys, next step is to turn them. Also probably needs to add some strength as Deakin and Hidlay aren't going anywhere and are very strong 157 lbers.
David definitely has room to add offense from the top position. He can pretty much ride all day but wont get points from that position outside of for time.

As for strength I am not that concerned. He more than matched Hidlay, and muscle is a gas tank sink. I think he is about where he needs to be physically. Just increase the amount of tools in the set.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Hidlay to 174 is interesting. That weight really isn't clearing out much, with Starocci being a freshman and Kemerer coming back, Labriola only being a junior, along with any other seniors deciding to return.

Maybe he just wants to strictly focus on wrestling and less on weight management. Also probably makes training with his brother a little easier for him.

This was all probably covered in that podcast NCSU released, but I haven't listened to it.

I don't think Kem has announced his plans for next year yet.

• Informative
Reactions: cyclonenation5

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
I don't think Kem has announced his plans for next year yet.

Gotcha, I must've just lumped him in with all the other Iowa guys' announcements and assumed he was coming back. He's been around a while and had some injuries, maybe he won't return. Or maybe that's just my wishful thinking.

Not like his replacement is any slouch, either...

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Gotcha, I must've just lumped him in with all the other Iowa guys' announcements and assumed he was coming back. He's been around a while and had some injuries, maybe he won't return. Or maybe that's just my wishful thinking.

I think some months ago he may have mentioned returning but he hasn't confirmed one way or another recently. He's finishing up his MS in Finance now, might want to just move ahead with life. No matter who would step in at 174 in Kem's absence it'd be a pretty sizable step back.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
I think some months ago he may have mentioned returning but he hasn't confirmed one way or another recently. He's finishing up his MS in Finance now, might want to just move ahead with life. No matter who would step in at 174 in Kem's absence it'd be a pretty sizable step back.
Would it be down to Kennedy or Brands? Or is there talk of Marinelli going up?

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames

I was assuming Kennedy would be the guy. He obviously wouldn't be ranked #2 in next year's rankings like Kemerer would be, but he'll probably be an immediate AA threat.

But that's based solely on him being ranked so highly out of high school and his close match with Labriola this season, because I have not seen him wrestle. Maybe I'm way off base.

DantheFan

Feb 10, 2010
Co-Hodge winners. Crazy.

Throwing it back to 2001 when Cael shared with Nick Ackerman.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

Kem confirms he'll be back, entire '20-'21 roster returning. Will be interesting to see where Griffith lands. Even without him PSU's going to be a salty lineup, if he ends up there that'll make things even more interesting.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Kem confirms he'll be back, entire '20-'21 roster returning. Will be interesting to see where Griffith lands. Even without him PSU's going to be a salty lineup, if he ends up there that'll make things even more interesting.

Mentioned this in another thread, but I’ve heard Griffith to Michigan, along with Real Woods. Woods is apparently very close with Michigan’s 125. Pat Brucki announced he will be at Michigan next year also. That could be a lineup.

• Agree
Reactions: stuclone

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames

Little frustrating personally that Iowa will be so good again, but I can't blame anybody for using the year the NCAA is giving them. Everybody else has the same opportunity.

PSU will be loaded. Have to imagine Howard will fare better at 125 next year. Either Shayne Van Ness or Beau Bartlett will probably be a point-scorer at 149, which PSU did not have last year. IF they land Griffith, IF he goes 165, and IF Nick Lee returns, they're going to have five 2021 champs in their lineup, and the depth point-scorers behind them (Howard, 149, Beard, Kerkvliet) *should* get better.

And if Nick Lee doesn't come back, Bartlett probably goes to 141 and does just fine. Not a champ, but damn good.

But you're right, even without Griffith, they'll have an awesome team. Looking like another two-team race next season.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Mentioned this in another thread, but I’ve heard Griffith to Michigan, along with Real Woods. Woods is apparently very close with Michigan’s 125. Pat Brucki announced he will be at Michigan next year also. That could be a lineup.

Agree. Not sure if Ragusin goes 125 or 133 next year but kid has talent as well.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
The battle between Iowa, Penn State, Michigan, and Cornell next year will be fun to watch. Okie State and Mizzou should both have salty lineups too.