Cargo Shorts

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
It all has to do with the stretchy material, breath-ability, last longer (polyester vs cotton), no silly pockets, attractive women don't laugh at you, should I keep going?

On the "rugged" material piece... If you are worried about this, why aren't you just wearing denim?

On the stretchy material and no silly pockets piece.... if you are worried about this, why aren't you just wearing yoga pants?

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
On the stretchy material and no silly pockets piece.... if you are worried about this, why aren't you just wearing yoga pants?

I think you're misunderstanding "no silly pockets" as "no pockets". Why the hell would I want unattractive pockets on the sides of my knees? What am I going to put in those pockets, and how badly will it bruise the sides of my knees?

I wore cargo shorts in the mid-2000s, when they were in style, but the "functional" argument is bunk, in my mind.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I think you're misunderstanding "no silly pockets" as "no pockets". Why the hell would I want unattractive pockets on the sides of my knees? What am I going to put in those pockets, and how badly will it bruise the sides of my knees?

I wore cargo shorts in the mid-2000s, when they were in style, but the "functional" argument is bunk, in my mind.

I think it's situational. Like I said, I prefer wearing them for golf because of the extra pocket space. And sometimes I'll wear them if I'm running errands with the family. My wife talks all kinds of **** about cargo shorts but she never has any hesitation about handing me her phone, keys, and whatever to store in them.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown

Your mind is very small. Right now I have: 'normal' right front - wallet, 'normal' left front: car fob, cargo right front: gum, cargo left front: phone. I hate having anything in back pockets and nothing jingles together. perfect utilization.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I think it's situational. Like I said, I prefer wearing them for golf because of the extra pocket space. And sometimes I'll wear them if I'm running errands with the family. My wife talks all kinds of **** about cargo shorts but she never has any hesitation about handing me her phone, keys, and whatever to store in them.

Exactly. When we get to go to ISU games, I basically carry everything. Phones, water bottle, tickets, stuff for the kids...

I guess I'll just be uncool and drive my minivan while wearing my cargo shorts. I can fit more kids and stuff in my vehicle and more crap in my pockets too!

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012

Yeah, went out to dinner with golf shorts son and he put his wallet and keys in his girlfriend’s purse.:rolleyes:

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017

The sides of your knees? Cargo shorts don't have to be cotton, have a 20" inseam, and have paramedic pockets either. I golf in stretchy cargo shorts that are above my knee. They do make such a thing.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Exactly. When we get to go to ISU games, I basically carry everything. Phones, water bottle, tickets, stuff for the kids...

I guess I'll just be uncool and drive my minivan while wearing my cargo shorts. I can fit more kids and stuff in my vehicle and more crap in my pockets too!

Once you have kids you can just check your dignity at the door. You can have it back when they all move out. In the meantime, embrace the minivan driving, cargo short wearing, overstuffed backpack/diaper bag hauling lifestyle.

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
The sides of your knees? Cargo shorts don't have to be cotton, have a 20" inseam, and have paramedic pockets either. I golf in stretchy cargo shorts that are above my knee. They do make such a thing.

I've never seen what you're describing, but the description that's been used throughout this thread has been exactly what you mentioned they don't have to be.

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
Your mind is very small. Right now I have: 'normal' right front - wallet, 'normal' left front: car fob, cargo right front: gum, cargo left front: phone. I hate having anything in back pockets and nothing jingles together. perfect utilization.

You're clinging on to cargo shorts for dear life, but my mind is very small? My bad. I didn't realize everyone was needing to tote around 8 pounds of gum at all times.

• Funny
Reactions: jcyclonee

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby

What about Beershorts? Are they okay?
http://www.beershorts.com/

• Winner

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
This debate has me so confused I have made the decision that I am not going to wear cargo shorts or golf shorts. In fact I am going to wear no shorts at all. I'll be just like Tom Petty - Free Ballin'.

Talk about making the ladies laugh...

• Funny

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron