Cards and Beltran agree to deal.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
I like this pick up for the birds

In 2011

Beltran had BA.300 HR – 22 RBI -84 - while playing in SF (pitchers park).

Albert had BA. 299 HR – 37 RBI – 99

Beltran cost ½ of what Albert does……plus if Allen Craig and David Freese continue where they left off last year, they will make up for the lost production of AP. Oh they get Adam Wainright back too!!!!!

Sad to see AP go, but I think the cardinals have a chance to be even better this year and have zero bad contracts on the roster right now. Lots of 1-2 year deals!!!!

SS- Furcal
CF – Beltran
LF – Holiday
1B – Berkman
RF – Craig
3B – Freese
C – Molina
2B – Skip
P – Wainright

4th Outfielder – Jon Jay (started 150 games last year).

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
If Beltran can't play CF very well and ends up only in RF I will not like this signing. I was a big fan of Allen Craig when he was in AAA and I'd much rather see Craig play everyday in right once he comes back. If Beltran can play CF I like the signing. But what happens if Beltran and Jay get off to great starts and then Craig comes back? Then theres a log jam.

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
If Beltran can't play CF very well and ends up only in RF I will not like this signing. I was a big fan of Allen Craig when he was in AAA and I'd much rather see Craig play everyday in right once he comes back. If Beltran can play CF I like the signing. But what happens if Beltran and Jay get off to great starts and then Craig comes back? Then theres a log jam.
A log jam of too many good players would be a good problem to have. This team is built to win now, they can't cross their fingers and hope that Craig comes back strong and they have no pop off the bench. Two years -- it's a good signing.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA

You have to keep in mind that I don't think we can count on 162 starts at a lot of these positions. Both Craig and Holliday had trouble staying on the field last year, and you can't count on Berkman for more than 130-140 starts at 1st. His back is going to need rest if he's going to be productive down the stretch. I assume Craig is the long term replacement there if he continues to produce the way he did last year, but who knows for sure how quickly he'll come back from his offseason surgery? If it's May before he's fully ready to go, this signing will ease some of the strain on the rest of the lineup. I don't think Beltran will play CF all the time but he can give you a little there. It gives the Cards a good bat and some defensive flexibility. As someone esle mentioned, as much as I'd love to see some middle infield help, there just isn't much out there to be had unless you're gonna give Rollins $13-15mil/.

I'm not necessarily in love with the signing, but then again, I wasn't wild about Berkman last year and that worked out pretty well.

Naughtius

Oct 27, 2010
Central IA
A log jam of too many good players would be a good problem to have. This team is built to win now, they can't cross their fingers and hope that Craig comes back strong and they have no pop off the bench. Two years -- it's a good signing.

This. Productive logjams give you trade options. Moz is proving to be pretty good at that.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
I'm glad the Giants didn't re-sign Beltran. The team offense dried up literally the day after he joined them in Philly and remained awol for the next five weeks. They went from 17 games over .500 to only 5 over during that span and gave up first place to the D-bags (er, -Backs).

Not trying to blame everything bad that happened to the Giants last year on Beltran going to SF, but I don't believe it's just a coincidence that things went south at the same time as his arrival. Posey's season had ended due to his broken ankle long before they signed him; Sanchez was also out with his separated shoulder; and Burrell, Huff, and Ross had already been struggling mightily with the bat.

Beltran was supposed to help the offense, but in the end, did very little that mattered. Hopefully he can be more of a difference-maker for the Cards.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron