MLB: Cards 10 over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkeye11en1

Apr 22, 2011
Colorado
It's been impressive for them sure, but every team has injuries. Hell the cubs have six starters on the DL. I won't be to impressed by the Cards until mid September and they are still doing well. The fallout they had last year was a thing the Cubs would do.

Same amount of injuries and are 7 up on the Cubs. So yeah, every team has injuries - some just handle it better.

And yeah, the Cards choked at the end of last year. But to use that as the example for every year thereafter is, well, wrong. The team is totally different than it was last year.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Same amount of injuries and are 7 up on the Cubs. So yeah, every team has injuries - some just handle it better.

And yeah, the Cards choked at the end of last year. But to use that as the example for every year thereafter is, well, wrong. The team is totally different than it was last year.

They're playing well, no doubt about it.

A lot of the reaction in this thread comes back to the OP. OP has a knack for irritating people and then claiming they're out to get him.

CP44

Nov 27, 2006
They're playing well, no doubt about it.

A lot of the reaction in this thread comes back to the OP. OP has a knack for irritating people and then claiming they're out to get him.

The Cards are playing well right now and we can thank Garcia, McLellan, and Lohse for that. The Cubs wont be a player til they can dump Soriano, Ramirez, and Zambrano. While talented, this mix of underachieving, overpaid, aging, and bad attitudes(mainly Zambrano) is a lethal mix. I wouldn't wish combination on anybody. It makes Hollidays massive contract look brilliant.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
The Cards are playing well right now and we can thank Garcia, McLellan, and Lohse for that. The Cubs wont be a player til they can dump Soriano, Ramirez, and Zambrano. While talented, this mix of underachieving, overpaid, aging, and bad attitudes(mainly Zambrano) is a lethal mix. I wouldn't wish combination on anybody. It makes Hollidays massive contract look brilliant.

Agreed. I would consider keeping Ramirez, but he's not getting younger.

What we need to do is dig back into our recent tradition and work a blockbuster trade with Pittsburgh. Get their young, talented players in exchange for 2-3 of these guys.

Right now, for me, it's all about getting ahead of Pittsburgh for 4th place. I'll be at Wrigley on Saturday to see us play the Pirates. Hopefully, we'll be putting a little early (and meaningless) space between us and the Bucs.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

Agreed. The fact that the Cardinals 3-5 starting pitchers are performing very well is the main reason while they are sitting atop the division.

Meanwhile, the Cubs are in last place in nearly every category for starting pitching...that's impossible to overcome.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
Agreed. The fact that the Cardinals 3-5 starting pitchers are performing very well is the main reason while they are sitting atop the division.

Meanwhile, the Cubs are in last place in nearly every category for starting pitching...that's impossible to overcome.

And we're 5th in the division in several offensive categories. We don't stop the other team, and we don't score a ton. It's a lethal combination.

But it would be sweet to see all that suddenly turn around, the way the Astros used to do it every year following the All-Star Break. I don't really see how, but it would be fun.

CyBroncos

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
I've never seen a losing franchise with such insufferable fans as the Cubs. I loathe cocky Yankee, Lakers, Steelers fans but at least they've won championships

rebecacy

Jan 31, 2007
I, for one, have always enjoyed the posters that complain about Cubs fans posting Cubs threads on a Cyclone message board who then go on to create prolific numbers of threads about the Cardinals.
Erik gets the point.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Cards are playing well but I'm not willing to count the Cubs out yet. They are hanging in there with a depleted roster-- if they get everyone healthy they may have a run in them.

CP44

Nov 27, 2006
And we're 5th in the division in several offensive categories. We don't stop the other team, and we don't score a ton. It's a lethal combination.

But it would be sweet to see all that suddenly turn around, the way the Astros used to do it every year following the All-Star Break. I don't really see how, but it would be fun.

Barney and Castro have a bright future. Colvin as well. Just need to find a few other guys.

Yes the Cards have had successful pitching, but people don't realize we also have to top offense in the nl and 2nd in mlb

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky

Well it is pretty hard for the Cubs tail end of the rotation to be successful without Cashner and Wells. Everytime Russell, Davis, or Coleman pitch I'm fearful.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
Well it is pretty hard for the Cubs tail end of the rotation to be successful without Cashner and Wells. Everytime Russell, Davis, or Coleman pitch I'm fearful.

Just don't hold it against them long-term. In Maddux's first year, my friends and I were fearful when he came out, because he was awful. He turned around pretty nicely.

I don't think that Russell, Davis, or Coleman are Greg Maddux, but they can potentially turn into solid major-league starters (I hope). They might not, but they have a chance.

That said, this year, they're not getting it done.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
Hate to tell you, but Red Sox fans were right there until they finally broke through. You've seen at least one losing franchise like that.

The Red Sox were not even in the Cubs realm of "losing franchises" before 2004. They won the AL pennant in '86, 75, '67, and '46. Cubs last NL pennant? 1945. Even with the BoSox's 86 year WS drought they still managed to win 4 WS titles since the last Cubs WS win (not counting 2004 and 2007).

Sorry, but when it comes to losing, the Cubs are in a class of their own.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
The Cards were 6 over .500 last year at this time. Mozeliak's teams' typically end the regular season pretty poor.

CP44

Nov 27, 2006
The Cards were 6 over .500 last year at this time. Mozeliak's teams' typically end the regular season pretty poor.

2 year run is a pretty small sample if you ask me. Also, no Berkman last year

mr89ia

Mar 9, 2010
Madison,WI

this is right where im out. its hard to compete when automatically take two losses our of the last three pitchers in your rotation every time

Reactions: CyDude16

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
The Red Sox were not even in the Cubs realm of "losing franchises" before 2004. They won the AL pennant in '86, 75, '67, and '46. Cubs last NL pennant? 1945. Even with the BoSox's 86 year WS drought they still managed to win 4 WS titles since the last Cubs WS win (not counting 2004 and 2007).

Sorry, but when it comes to losing, the Cubs are in a class of their own.

context. He said insufferable fans, and Red Sox fans were in that category.

Status
Not open for further replies.