Cardinals?

clone2011

Dec 11, 2007
I've come to the conclusion that I am definitely in the minority around here, being a Cardinals fan. Please tell me there are a few other fans of the Cards around here, and that it's not really all Cubs fans. I live with 3 Cubs fans, and that's more than I would like to live with.

Someone...anyone...give me a Redbirds fan to talk to during the upcoming season, which is most likely going to be sad, long, and bottom-dwelling. Not as bad as the Cubs' last 100 years, but not a 2006 season either.

Please? :smile:

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
The Cardinals suck.

Tribute to those haters in the Cubs threads....

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
HUGE Cardinals fan here. We should start a Cardinals buddy list so we can rally against all the Cubs lovers on here.

I will always be available to talk up the Cards.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
Also, don't pay attention to the Cubs fans. They just want attention to make themselves feel good about their chances (AGAIN).

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
I don't think you'll have trouble finding Cardinal fans on here. They always seem to outpost us Cubs fans 2 to 1 in baseball threads no matter how much they're outnumbered. They rival SouthernHawk in that respect.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
I live in St Louis and am a Cubs fan. It's not quite as bad as when I lived in Iowa City as a State fan.

wrap6.jpg

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
I don't think you'll have trouble finding Cardinal fans on here. They always seem to outpost us Cubs fans 2 to 1 in baseball threads no matter how much they're outnumbered. They rival SouthernHawk in that respect.

Cubs fans are very numerous and vociferous, and they are everywhere, and they really like you to know that they are Cubs fans. I am not sure why that is. But I always felt seriously outnumbered walking around campus in the spring. I think there are a lot of folks who become Cubs fans because it is the "popular" thing to do -- and if you engage in a conversation with them, you'll quickly find they know nothing about "their" team. It's more a social/being seen thing for them.

Now, that's not to say there isn't a dedicated care of knowledgeable and passionate Cubs fans. No one can deny that. But I get tired of meeting people wearing Cubs attire who have no real loyalty to the team. Sure, you have that in every fanbase, but the Cubs are the worst about this. Even in central Texas, there are more Cubs fans than Astros fans.

I also get tired of watching their "fans" throw water and beer bottles onto the outfield when they lose a late lead.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
Cubs fans are very numerous and vociferous, and they are everywhere, and they really like you to know that they are Cubs fans. I am not sure why that is. But I always felt seriously outnumbered walking around campus in the spring. I think there are a lot of folks who become Cubs fans because it is the "popular" thing to do -- and if you engage in a conversation with them, you'll quickly find they know nothing about "their" team. It's more a social/being seen thing for them.

Now, that's not to say there isn't a dedicated care of knowledgeable and passionate Cubs fans. No one can deny that. But I get tired of meeting people wearing Cubs attire who have no real loyalty to the team. Sure, you have that in every fanbase, but the Cubs are the worst about this. Even in central Texas, there are more Cubs fans than Astros fans.

I also get tired of watching their "fans" throw water and beer bottles onto the outfield when they lose a late lead.

I meet MANY more people wearing Cards gear that know NOTHING about baseball in general let alone their team in Des Moines. Once any pro franchise has success you will soon see TONS of their gear around this town. Once the Cards won it all, the stuff was everywhere. It is dying down now and after this year you won't see as much.

Same happened with the Rams in their heyday, the Bears, etc, etc.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
I meet MANY more people wearing Cards gear that know NOTHING about baseball in general let alone their team in Des Moines. Once any pro franchise has success you will soon see TONS of their gear around this town. Once the Cards won it all, the stuff was everywhere. It is dying down now and after this year you won't see as much.

Same happened with the Rams in their heyday, the Bears, etc, etc.

I agree that it happens whenever a franchise has success. Another good example is when the White Sox won the Series in 05, and when the Tigers started to get good. I had met one, maybe two Sox/Tigers fans in my life, then they started popping up everywhere.

I was trying to stress that the Cubs ALWAYS have people like this...I cannot imagine how many would show up if the Cubs were ever good. :wink:

K-15

Nov 22, 2006
2008 marks the 100 year anniversary since the last time the Cubs won the World Series.

Here's a list of things that have happened since the Cubs last won it all:

1. Radio was invented. (Cubs fans get to hear their team lose)

2. TV was invented. (Cubs fans get to see their team lose)

3. Baseball added 14 teams. (Cubs fans get to see and hear their team lose to more clubs)

4. George Burns celebrated his 10th, 20th, 30th, 40th, 50th, 60th, 70th, 80th, 90th and 100th birthdays.

5. Halley's comet passed Earth - twice.

6. Harry Caray was born... and died. Incredible, but true!

7. The NBA, NHL, NFL, IHL, and ISL were formed. (Each of those Chicago teams have each won championships)

8. Man landed on the moon. (As have several home runs given up by Cubs pitchers)

9. Sixteen U.S. presidents were elected.

10. There were 11 amendments added to the Constitution.

11. Prohibition was created and repealed.

12. The Titanic was built, set sail, sank, was discovered, and became the subject of major motion pictures. The latter giving Cubs fans hope that something that finishes on the bottom can come out on top.

13. Wrigley Field was built and becomes the oldest park in the National League.

14. Flag poles were erected on Wrigley Field roof to hold all of the team's future World Series pennants. (Those flag poles have since rusted and been taken down)

15. A combination of 40 Summer and Winter Olympic games have been held.

16. Thirteen baseball players have won the Triple Crown. (Several thanked Cubs pitchers)

17. Bell-bottoms came in style, went out of style, and came back in.

18. The Cleveland Indians, Boston Red Sox, Arizona Diamondbacks and the Florida Marlins have all won the World Series.

19. The Cubs played 14,153 regular-season games. (They lost the majority of them)

20. Alaska, Arizona, Hawaii, Oklahoma, and New Mexico were added to the Union.