Car wash

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Is our weather in Iowa changing that requires people to wash their car more? I swear there have been like 10 car washes built in the western suburbs of Des Moines in the last year. I'm old school and wash my cars by hand but I still find it strange how many have been built. Anyone else notice this?

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Is our weather in Iowa changing that requires people to wash their car more? I swear there have been like 10 car washes built in the western suburbs of Des Moines in the last year. I'm old school and wash my cars by hand but I still find it strange how many have been built. Anyone else notice this?
Johnston/Grimes has gone from 2 to 10, its crazy.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
I think the gals in swimsuits toweling off the cars has created the high demand... o_O ;) :cool:

Reactions: aauummm

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
Private equity has gotten involved in the car wash business throughout North America. They are doing a roll up and are trying to buy market share and build units. Too many dollars are chasing too few deals.

• Haha
Reactions: isufbcurt

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
With a family I try and put a value on time.
Car wash memberships can be nice if you are short on time or have lots of other **** going on.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Probably 2-sided:

More demand from more customers wanting convenience and places they can get in and out quick, and don't want to do it at home. It also wouldnt surprise me if there's more desire to keep cars looking shiny-clean these days as well- at least cars seem to look more that way than they did 20 years ago.

On the investor side, these are relatively low capital investment options for an investor to make some somewhat passive income. They can also be a good way to make some income on some land that's being held for the long term, as these buildings can be torn out later relatively cheaply as well.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Unlimited car washes at $17/mo. I wouldn't attempt to pick up the rag or the hose and do the effort for this price. Go get your car washed everyday.
Not an option where we are. Got like 6 vehicles so they would be losing their butts on us.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
With a family I try and put a value on time.
Car wash memberships can be nice if you are short on time or have lots of other **** going on.
Agree. We have a membership to Laser Executive Wash. You can wash your car every 48 Hours and it's transferrable between cars, so my wife and I share a membership and rotate our two cars. Will be nice this winter.

Also, it's open 24/7 and it's touchless.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Agree. We have a membership to Laser Executive Wash. You can wash your car every 48 Hours and it's transferrable between cars, so my wife and I share a membership and rotate our two cars. Will be nice this winter.

Also, it's open 24/7 and it's touchless.
The transferable part is awesome.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Now that I’m not in the car wash, I’ll expand a little. The membership plans are the shiz. I pay 24 a month for unlimited washes. Having a black car and working in a rural area, I’m at the wash at least once a week. They’re putting another Super Shine on my way to work so my washes will probably be at least a couple times a week at that point. I could go through 5 times in a row if I wanted.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Like anything in Ames we have 100 car washes, Auto Parts stores, and Matrees stores. I take my truck up to Roland its the best in the area.