Car repair question

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Need a little input before I call my mechanic. I had my wife's car in the shop last week. They replaced the water pump, timing belt, serpintine belt and valve cover gasket. Yesterday we tried to run the a/c and the air it blows out is basically the same temp as it is outside. Could this be due to something they did? We aren't sure it was working before taking it in.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Yeah but could they have 'discharged' while working on it? That is, should I have to pay more to have it recharged?
I think you need to recharge because coolant just leaks out very slowly over time. Not sure I'm qualified to speak on whether a mechanic caused it but I'd say no.

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
Provided they did the repairs correctly, they shouldn't have disturbed any of the refrigerant that cools the air for A/C (the serpentine belt goes around the compressor for A/C but that's about it).

Leaks do happen over time though. Fortunately here in IA, you can buy your own refrigerant and recharge the system on your own. That doesn't help if there is a major leak however.

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
The only thing I can think of is how deep they had to go to change the timing belt. Sometimes it requires the removal of the front clip of the vehicle, which means you have to move the A/C condenser on the car (it looks like a little radiator, usually in close proximity to normal radiator) and it has hard metal lines. Not usually an issue for most FWD vehicles, since the timing belt would be pointed towards the fender.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
The only thing I can think of is how deep they had to go to change the timing belt. Sometimes it requires the removal of the front clip of the vehicle, which means you have to move the A/C condenser on the car (it looks like a little radiator, usually in close proximity to normal radiator) and it has hard metal lines. Not usually an issue for most FWD vehicles, since the timing belt would be pointed towards the fender.

It's a 2003 Honda Civic if that helps.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
You can go to the local auto store and recharge the system for under $20. They also sell leak sealer for like $10 or less. Not a guarantee but MUCH cheaper than paying the shop to do it. Out $30 if it doesn't work

preacherH

Dec 18, 2016
Need a little input before I call my mechanic. I had my wife's car in the shop last week. They replaced the water pump, timing belt, serpintine belt and valve cover gasket. Yesterday we tried to run the a/c and the air it blows out is basically the same temp as it is outside. Could this be due to something they did? We aren't sure it was working before taking it in.

More than likely they did not have to Evacuate the A/C Refrigerant for a Timing Belt job. Check your invoice, it should be a line-item if they did.

Most likely you have a leaking Compressor, Evaporator, etc and will need to have more work done for a separate issue than Timing Belt/Water pump.

You can try and recharge it but if your system is already empty, you should have the bad parts replaced. An A/C system is a "closed system" and NOTHING should be dissipating from it. A properly functioning A/C system does not leak.

• Agree
Reactions: Entropy and 0u812

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
Don't forget the coolant side of the equation. Maybe they didn't get enough coolant back in the system when they replaced the pump. Or if they didn't flush it, maybe some debris go into the system and is causing the thermostat to stick. Are Civic cooling systems pressurized? Could there be an air lock?

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Don't forget the coolant side of the equation. Maybe they didn't get enough coolant back in the system when they replaced the pump. Or if they didn't flush it, maybe some debris go into the system and is causing the thermostat to stick. Are Civic cooling systems pressurized? Could there be an air lock?

That was my thought. I've had low coolant result in no AC before.