Car Question - Transmission Fluid

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
It kinda pisses me off that oil change places don't check all the fluids. That is why I use those kind of places, they have a better ability to check those kind of things. As for the dealer not doing that is just nuts. Their company makes cars and pickups today so you basically have to use the dealer for an oil change and then they don't do the whole service job they promise.

End of Rant.

ExCyment

Jan 8, 2013
Crescent, IA
On a related note... I am trying to decide how to dispose of this vehicle. The repair shop where its at has apparently used a salvage yard that will pick up the car and generally pays $200-300 per vehicle. My Malibu appears to be worth in the $2-3,000 range based on KBB and Edmunds... but that's probably optimistic and only if in decent condition. Given that a transmission repair will cost around $2,500, I figure I should just cut my losses and let them pick it up. I am doubting it would be worth my time to tow to my house and see if someone else would pay more?

I recently used damagedcars.com and got $1500 for a totaled 04 Accord. Doesn't hurt to check it out, they just require your vin and some pictures with a description of the cars condition. They also pick up the car wherever it is but you have to meet them. You get the check at the time and hand over the title. The parent company is out of Florida and has a A+ BBB rating. The most any local salvage yard would give me was $600.

jeff0514

Apr 12, 2006
Ankeny, ia
I called around to a few salvage yards and the most they would give is $250. Car will be picked up tomorrow. Not sure I could have gotten more as it is a base Malibu (crank windows!!!) and has dents on the roof and hood. I had put the hood on used, along with a new windshield and headlight assembly after a deer accident Dec 2012. And spent another $700 on a thermostat and catalytic converter about a year ago. Guess that was still cheaper than car payments during that time. The car was using a lot of oil and slowly leaking coolant too, so figured it wasn't worth putting anymore money into the transmission.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Just popping in to advise everyone to do a tranny check regularly. Especially if you've never been to the bar before, or if you're in Thailand.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
It kinda pisses me off that oil change places don't check all the fluids. That is why I use those kind of places, they have a better ability to check those kind of things. As for the dealer not doing that is just nuts. Their company makes cars and pickups today so you basically have to use the dealer for an oil change and then they don't do the whole service job they promise.

End of Rant.

I don't trust those places, and it is better to pay a little more and go to a garage. Midas does a good job and isn't too expensive. They will have a certified mechanic check all fluids. If you take care of a car it can last a long time.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I don't trust those places, and it is better to pay a little more and go to a garage. Midas does a good job and isn't too expensive. They will have a certified mechanic check all fluids. If you take care of a car it can last a long time.

When I was in college I went one time to an oil change and tire place for service to save money and they stripped out the pan plug, which made a huge mess and could have cost me my engine had it fallen out completely. Now I do my service myself. Some of those guys get their "certification" an hour after they fill out their W-4.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I called around to a few salvage yards and the most they would give is $250. Car will be picked up tomorrow. Not sure I could have gotten more as it is a base Malibu (crank windows!!!) and has dents on the roof and hood. I had put the hood on used, along with a new windshield and headlight assembly after a deer accident Dec 2012. And spent another $700 on a thermostat and catalytic converter about a year ago. Guess that was still cheaper than car payments during that time. The car was using a lot of oil and slowly leaking coolant too, so figured it wasn't worth putting anymore money into the transmission.

I suppose they probably have all kinds of those on the salvage lot already, the Malibu is a mass market domestic sedan. Maybe you could have done better just taking it to a recycling place. Not going to be a huge difference either way. You did the right thing.

So what's next? You buying another beater or looking to upgrade? If it were me, I'd look for a 12 year old Honda Accord before I would buy a 5 year old Chevy anything...

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
I suppose they probably have all kinds of those on the salvage lot already, the Malibu is a mass market domestic sedan. Maybe you could have done better just taking it to a recycling place. Not going to be a huge difference either way. You did the right thing.

So what's next? You buying another beater or looking to upgrade? If it were me, I'd look for a 12 year old Honda Accord before I would buy a 5 year old Chevy anything...

Really though, if you're looking for a cheap, reliable car this is a good way to go. I'm still driving a 2000 Accord with 299,000 miles.

jeff0514

Apr 12, 2006
Ankeny, ia
Well I originally was looking for a slightly used Camry or Accord. But then looked at a '13 Malibu with 27,000 miles. Ended up getting a new '14 Malibu for only $1,500 more than the used w/ 27,000 miles after GM card bonus earnings and another incentive I came across.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa

What places don't you trust?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron