Car Purchase-talk me out of it

st8cydr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I'm considering fulfilling a long time want-a 2001-2004 Corvette. Except for the new style (C7) that are way over my budget, the 2001-2004 is my favorite body style. Although my wife has known this has been in the back of my head, it's recently moved to the forefront. (Kids are in college, but money is already set aside for that with 529s) I think I have as much of an endorsement as I'm going to get from her. I have another birthday coming up, and as a early 50 something I think it's time for the proverbial old man toy.

My justification is that I don't really have a car-I have a company car-so this would be "my" car, mostly for weekends and leisure driving. I go back and forth between a convertible and targa top. (I had a BMW m roadster a while ago so I know the +/- of a convertible.) 6 speed is a must.

This would be a cash purchase.

Discussing this with my wife anymore isn't helping. I need some testosterone perspective.

Fire away.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I'm considering fulfilling a long time want-a 2001-2004 Corvette. Except for the new style (C7) that are way over my budget, the 2001-2004 is my favorite body style. Although my wife has known this has been in the back of my head, it's recently moved to the forefront. (Kids are in college, but money is already set aside for that with 529s) I think I have as much of an endorsement as I'm going to get from her. I have another birthday coming up, and as a early 50 something I think it's time for the proverbial old man toy.

My justification is that I don't really have a car-I have a company car-so this would be "my" car, mostly for weekends and leisure driving. I go back and forth between a convertible and targa top. (I had a BMW m roadster a while ago so I know the +/- of a convertible.) 6 speed is a must.

Discussing this with my wife anymore isn't helping. I need some testosterone perspective.

Fire away.

Well this is CF so

tenor.gif

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

Fire away.

You sound like you have your **** together and deserve it! I wouldn't go for that style, though.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Buy, Buy Buy!!!!

But if you decide against it I have a nice reliable Buick for sale that I'll make you a good deal on.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
If money is in order and finances are all well in the family go for it. Just do some serious searching for your criteria and come up with the best deal possible. Also state in the beginning to potential salesmen you'd be paying cash.

Reactions: Cyclonic1

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
I have a 2004 Commemorative Edition, Targa top. Great toy, don't get to drive it as much as I want to.

Buy the sucker! But only if you can get it in manual. The 6 speed will get you 32 MPG on the highway and the trunk is actually more spacious than you would think. I've done Cosco runs in mine.

• Informative
Reactions: st8cydr and Doc

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
My dad bought one years ago, around the same age that it sounds like you are at. He drove it a lot the first couple of years, but since then it rarely moves. Usually just to get it out of the way for access to the garage it is stored in. The battery is usually dead and in need charging. He would never admit it, but it was a really stupid thing to buy.

All that said, it is a fun car when used. We took a couple trips south with room for 2 sets of golf clubs and luggage in the trunk.

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
These are pretty reasonably priced if you are patient and aren't super picky about color. You should be able to get it for well under $20K, and maybe closer to $10K if high mileage doesn't scare you.

There are some issues to watch out for. Some of the Z06 cars (and maybe others?) had piston ring issues which led to increased oil consumption and ring "slap" if I remember right. I like the 2002 - 2004 years for the Z06 which had the 405 hp engines (2001 had the 385 hp). If you prefer the fastback, it definitely has more storage.

The cars can pretty easily get 30 mpg on the highway if you're easy on the gas. There are a ton of upgrades if you want to spend the money (I know some of the folks pretty well if you want more info). It's hard to beat the LS for ROI when it comes to horsepower. It's a beast.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: 0u812 and st8cydr

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I'd say if you don't have any debt, your children are taken care of, your day to day budget isn't affect and you can afford it, go for it. If it would put you in debt, then I'd wait.

Cyclone27inQC

Jun 16, 2010
Quad Cities
My dad bought one years ago, around the same age that it sounds like you are at. He drove it a lot the first couple of years, but since then it rarely moves. Usually just to get it out of the way for access to the garage it is stored in. The battery is usually dead and in need charging. He would never admit it, but it was a really stupid thing to buy.

All that said, it is a fun car when used. We took a couple trips south with room for 2 sets of golf clubs and luggage in the trunk.

Is he selling it now?