Capezio Seems the Real Deal

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
Yeah I really like that Capezio had a little chance to rest and just play back row for most of today's match.

Kuhrt did a great job playing a full rotation. So many service errors by the team today! But a few aces too!

It's good to see we have two players who have the ability to play the full rotation, and CJL can choose between them based on their play and the opponent, as was done this tourney.

We know that Malloy was a talent we would like to have on our team. It was unknown how this team would fill her shoes. Now we know... Kuhrt and Capezio are going to be very good.

Combine that with some very strong play in the middle and the right side (lots of hitting options!), very capable setting by Hudson, of course strong defense -- the pieces are all there as promised.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
So, I am biased, see, Capezio worked out at my gym, and I have seen her play a lot. She is stud, and I am biased, but last night, she had some amazing kills, CJL said "flashes" of what she will do.

Here is hoping we land Quinn Spieker, teammate of Capezio in high school, as well from Burlington, WI - as well.

Quinn Spieker top 25 finalist for "National Player of the Year" - Wisconsin Juniors

wow, she's only a sophomore?! I agree, let's get her before Nebraska/Texas/Penn State notice!

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
Some Minny fans on volleytalk wish they would've kept her...they obviously have great recruits of their own with a coach of that caliber but will still be fun to watch Ciara make them regret their decision!

Ry4Cy

Nov 4, 2010
Ankeny
Some Minny fans on volleytalk wish they would've kept her...they obviously have great recruits of their own with a coach of that caliber but will still be fun to watch Ciara make them regret their decision!
Excuse my stupidity but did they pull her scholarship or something?

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
Well there was a coaching change at Minny during her commitment and she also tore her ACL I believe. Not really sure if Hugh pulled her scholly because of that or just wanted a different player. Turned out well for us it looks like!

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Yes, McCutcheon pulled their offer to her (made by retiring coach Mike Hebert) after he assumed the HC job. She was a huge Gopher fan.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Yes, McCutcheon pulled their offer to her (made by retiring coach Mike Hebert) after he assumed the HC job. She was a huge Gopher fan.

yeah, from everything I've seen, this was not her choice. There were quotes about how excited she was about Hugh being the coach (he was the coach for the men's Olympic volleyball team last year). There could have also been questions about how well she'd perform after recovering from her injury.

we probably (like with Andie) will never know the whole story, but she's been a great gain with Andie's unexpected departure.

Last edited: