Can't believe it's been almost 10 years since Barbara Mack died

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com
I was thinking about Professor Mack today and how much I loved her JLMC law class. I have two stories to share:

Since I can't hear, I had a very prim interpreter in that class. Very genteel. Refined. Barbara was so caring and understanding, but she was still Barbara. Early in the semester during class she asked the interpreter to teach her all the colorful curse words in sign language and turned to the class and made sure we all understood how to sign them. She kept using them all semester.

My interpreter, well, I've never seen another human being turn so red in my life. Still haven't.

Also, Barbara kept warning us class after class that we would fail her class (no idle threat) if we didn't spend many months researching and writing our massive law paper final. A challenge! Decided not to do anything until a few days before it was due. (Yes, I was dumb.) After getting a very good grade, I told her what I had done. Rather than being insulted like some teachers would've been, she thought it was the funniest thing ever. Laughed and laughed. I still have that paper.

RIP

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
I loved when she would go on rants about how she forgets to take her Macbook with her and that someone needs to invent something that sews your macbook to your ass! Her commentary whenever her Macbook started to act up was always funny. She made journalism interesting for the non-major. I just took her 101 class but I am dang glad I got have her as a professor. Gone too soon.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
She was a character. One of the smartest people I probably have ever been in the presence of.

Fitzy

Tracer Bullet
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2014
La La Land
Easily my favorite class (JLMC 101) my first semester at ISU. She was the perfect blend of knowledgeable, caring, and hard-ass.

Reactions: WalkingCY

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I’ve told this story on here before but it’s been a while.

I had her for JLMC 101, big lecture hall. She asked a question to the class and I raised my hand and started to answer it. I used to say “like” a lot and I said it in a sentence.

She immediately interrupted me to call me out on it. I started up again and said “like” again and she again interrupted me. Well now I was flustered and basically did it again immediately. She basically starts dressing me down in front of a class of hundreds of people and I just start dying laughing. I thought it was funny as hell that she was doing her best to make me look like an absolute ass in this class and I said so.

She honestly loved me after that and we always had an awesome relationship. One of those people I’ll never forget.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
I was signed up for her law class the semester she passed. Only got two lectures of her class the first week of the semester, and she unfortunately died the night after the second lecture.

Reactions: Todd

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I was signed up for her law class the semester she passed. Only got two lectures of her class the first week of the semester, and she unfortunately died the night after the second lecture.
Did a TA take it over?

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
Did a TA take it over?
BMack was planning to retire. That semester was to be her final semester teaching. Her replacement had already been hired and he was going to sit in on most, if not all of the classes throughout the semester shadowing her in preparation of taking over the media law class. He took over instructing the class the week after she died.

I can't remember his name. I want to say his last name is Johnson. He did a wonderful job leading the class the rest of the semester especially given the circumstances.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron