Cancel Mexico Vacation time?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Link? I'm not seeing that being reported anywhere about the 90 to 150 day immunity limitation.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I saw that but it doesn't say anything about vaccine immunity wearing off after only 90 days which was my question.
I told you it was simply an approximation from an epidemiologist. Everything is right now. We haven't had the vaccine 9 months so no one actually knows yet. Which was really my point all along.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Got this email update from State Department, with hot linkies to info. Has a link to enroll in their Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) which gets you these updates and you can also register your trips in case something goes wrong while you are traveling overseas (local embassy/consulate can pull up you travel info and passport number to maybe help you).

Health Alert - Department of State - Bureau of Consular Affairs (January 15, 2021)

: Worldwide:The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Director has signed an order requiring all airline passengers traveling to the United States, including U.S. citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents (LPRs), to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 viral test or recovery from COVID-19.

Event: Effective January 26, all airline passengers to the United States ages two years and older must provide either a negative COVID-19 viral test taken within three calendar days of travel or provide a positive test result and documentation from a licensed health care provider or public health official of having recovered from COVID-19 in the 90 days preceding travel. Passengers must also attest, under penalty of law, to having received a negative qualifying test result or to recovery from COVID-19 and medical clearance to travel.

See the CDC Proof of Negative Test Result page to view the order, complete the attestation, and to see FAQ's.

Airlines must deny boarding to passengers who do not meet these requirements.

U.S. citizens in countries where adequate COVID-19 testing is not available or may not be able to satisfy the requirements, should depart immediately or prepare to be unable to return to the United States until such time as they can meet the requirements.

Actions to Take
:

• Monitor the CDC website for latest guidance regarding testing requirements.
  • Check with your air carriers or travel representative prior to departure for the United States.
  • Check COVID-19 Country Specific Information updated information on COVID-19 related information including availability of testing.
  • Visit travel.state.gov to view individual Travel Advisories for the most urgent threats to safety and security.
  • Visit the Department of Homeland Security's website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
  • Click herefor our COVID FAQs Search Tool.
Assistance:

State Department - Consular Affairs

888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444

Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
Well this is probably a deal breaker for working people. Biden says quarantine when you get back for up to two weeks. Even with negative test. Going to kill travel to Mexico.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Well this is probably a deal breaker for working people. Biden says quarantine when you get back for up to two weeks. Even with negative test. Going to kill travel to Mexico.

We'll want to steer clear of politics here on the main board.

I believe the point of a 2-week quarantine upon return is that you could have gotten infected your last day or on the way home, and your viral load wouldn't have been enough to test positive before leaving. It's shocking more companies haven't instituted it.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
We'll want to steer clear of politics here on the main board.

I believe the point of a 2-week quarantine upon return is that you could have gotten infected your last day or on the way home, and your viral load wouldn't have been enough to test positive before leaving. It's shocking more companies haven't instituted it.

You'd think at this point there would be a plan to be able to operate online having a positive test so not sure how it's much different.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
We're in a pandemic, IMO no one should be traveling outside the country for vacation until it's under control. I totally understand that it sucks, it sucked for me cancelling a trip to Switzerland last year but we're in a pandemic.
On the bright side, we took a road trip to Yellowstone this year that we never would have taken and I have a whole new appreciation for nature.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
You'd think at this point there would be a plan to be able to operate online having a positive test so not sure how it's much different.

I think many employers do have an online option, but there are so many jobs where you can't operate online. Factories, restaurants, grocery stores, lawyers, doctors, nurses, etc., etc.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I think many employers do have an online option, but there are so many jobs where you can't operate online. Factories, restaurants, grocery stores, lawyers, doctors, nurses, etc., etc.

True that...I guess I was more thinking of a plan for quarantining but I also know there's not even that for some places.

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
Talking with our friends who we are/were planning on traveling with and they are convinced we should just go. They think that the resorts are pretty much going to be guaranteeing negative results for guests leaving. A) They don't want to have to keep anyone there for free for quarantine and B) they don't want the negative publicity of guests getting sick while they're there. I don't know what to do at this point. We've still got a couple of weeks to decide, but I'm having having a tough time figuring out what to do.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
Same here. We also don’t have the luxury of a resort to cover us. Renting condos.

flynnhicks03

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
So my wife and I both tested positive and have recovered, so we're still planning on going now. However, the requirements for getting back in the US state we need a "proof of recovery" document. Something from my healthcare provider, or the department of health saying I've recovered from COVID. I would think my positive test and the date of the positive test being a couple of weeks ago, that should work, but I don't know. Has anyone travelled abroad recently after having recovered from COVID? If so, what did you have to provide to get back in the US?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
So my wife and I both tested positive and have recovered, so we're still planning on going now. However, the requirements for getting back in the US state we need a "proof of recovery" document. Something from my healthcare provider, or the department of health saying I've recovered from COVID. I would think my positive test and the date of the positive test being a couple of weeks ago, that should work, but I don't know. Has anyone travelled abroad recently after having recovered from COVID? If so, what did you have to provide to get back in the US?

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/fr-proof-negative-test.html

kbud

Jan 9, 2012
Just returned from Cozumel. I took my positive test and a document from my GP stating I had the virus, I recovered from the virus and the date I recovered. Simple as that, no questions.

flynnhicks03

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
Just returned from Cozumel. I took my positive test and a document from my GP stating I had the virus, I recovered from the virus and the date I recovered. Simple as that, no questions.

Thank you. That's what I was wondering. Just left a message with my doctor.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I've posted a "mark it down" in the other thread that this is going to be 98% over by Memorial Day. By then, a third of the US will have had it, another third will have been vaccinated - this will reduce the spread rate significantly (think permutation math); basically a level of herd immunity will reduce spread. On top of that, the weather will be improved - more sunshine, people outside more, healthier immune systems in general. That will help too.

I did some amateur math on this for work back in mid-December when the vaccines first were approved, and the numbers so far agree. Even now new cases are about 50% of the peak from early January.

Put it all together and it will be a "mission accomplished" moment at Memorial Day. We will reflect on the lives lost, the economic damage, etc. Then life back to mostly normal for summer - no masks after that I think, except maybe special circumstances. Travel back to normal. Hopefully they will be able to manage it with just contact tracing and such after that point.

Pretty confident about this, unless one of the variants turns into an entire new thing with zero help from existing vaccines or prior infection. Cross your fingers!