wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
To an extent. I use visualization regularly for different procedures and flows for flying. I have found that it helps me be more comfortable, relaxed and less forgetful when I get in and fly.

Reactions: Angie

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Close your eyes and think of your childhood bedroom. Do you see the bed, dresser, door, pictures, etc as if it's in front of you like you're looking at a a picture or is everything blank? As if you know where the items go but can't actually see their textures and details.

Ok. Yes, I have a visual image of that in my brain.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Not being able to visualize things is a real condition called aphantasia. I have it and didn't realize others *could* visualize things.

dozens_of_us_arrested_development.gif

Sorry had to do it.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I can only truly visualize about 3 things:

1)golf putts, can’t visualize other shots
2) FT’s, can’t visualize other shots
3) snowboard rails, can’t visualize jumps

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I am saying that I cannot see something in my mind's eye like a picture. I can know what I want to do for a golf putt but I cannot see a golf ball if I close my eyes.

It affects 2% of the population and the reason more people don't know about it is because we don't talk about the way we internalized images and thoughts.

That’s messed up. I guess I should have said my visualization of those things leads to making those things happen.

algonacy

Feb 19, 2012
Iowa
This finally explains mtowncyclone13's fantastic and utterly awesome Avatar's. Many of us can still see that avatar when we lay down at night. But mtown has to keep looking at it to remember the physical details of it's awesomeness.

The world has now come into focus for this question.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I have extremely detailed powers of visualization. It's difficult in my line of work, because many of my customers can't - and they want to see exactly what a door or a window or vinyl siding or whatever looks like.

There are a growing number of building products companies using visualizers on their websites now, and they are a real help for us.

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
Not being able to visualize things is a real condition called aphantasia. I have it and didn't realize others *could* visualize things.

I just realized that I also don't really visualize things. There are occasions like after a football game or movie, where the scene kind of plays back for me. But I don't have much control of it and it's almost unwanted. But when I think of room or place, I'm more just listing and describing the things in my mind.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I have never heard of this, but that sounds an awful lot like me. On the other hand, when it comes to things like the test where you have to imagine what a three dimensional figure would look like if unfolded flat I rock at it but I don't think that is the same thing at all. My issues are more memory based or converting details in text (like in a novel) into a visulization. I can understand what is happening but am unable to marry the described visual details to the action.

JSmoove

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 19, 2012
2611 Helser, Louden
This finally explains mtowncyclone13's fantastic and utterly awesome Avatar's. Many of us can still see that avatar when we lay down at night. But mtown has to keep looking at it to remember the physical details of it's awesomeness.

The world has now come into focus for this question.
This was my first thought as well.