Can we get a QB sneak installed in this offense?

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Ben Bruns has actually questioned why they don't install this into the offense. Ben is about rah rah ISU as you can get.
It's basic football. Every Podunk high school in the country knows about it. I don't understand our resistance to use it. I made a big deal out of it when they did it against WV, only to never be seen again.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Joining the tirade a few days late. Mentioned at least one earlier in the thread, it was especially maddening after calling a timeout (then doing the same thing after ND also called TO).

As soon as I knew ISU wouldn't have time to get the play off before clock expired, I thought we might as well punt. Or, plan B, call time and make a probably futile attempt to draw ND offside -- then punt.

If you're gonna go for it, QB sneak or shotgun or expected or trick play, do it. I hate that "should we-should we not?" thing in that situation.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
If Purdy is too small or too banged up to sneak it, we should have had one of the Kolar brothers fall forward for an automatic first down. Other teams do it all the time. Campbell stresses doing the little things right. He needs to clean up some little things in terms of his play calling and special teams.

I was in Kinnick for Cambell's first game against Iowa three years ago and that's when I first noticed some flaws in the staff's decision making. We sat on the football at midfield a few seconds before halftime. Nearly every other team would have thrown a hail Mary in that situation. There was no good excuse for not trying to taking a shot at late score.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
If Purdy is too small or too banged up to sneak it, we should have had one of the Kolar brothers fall forward for an automatic first down. Other teams do it all the time. Campbell stresses doing the little things right. He needs to clean up some little things in terms of his play calling and special teams.

I was in Kinnick for Cambell's first game against Iowa three years ago and that's when I first noticed some flaws in the staff's decision making. We sat on the football at midfield a few seconds before halftime. Nearly every other team would have thrown a hail Mary in that situation. There was no good excuse for not trying to taking a shot at late score.

The first time ISU played at Iowa under CMC was a total disaster and in that situation you get off the field and go regroup before something else goes wrong.

That game is a poor example of anything to do with ISU football the last 4 seasons.

Otherwise the year after Lanning was the guy on short yardage and it was generally successful. Perhaps the line was better than.

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
Chip Kelly had UCLA run a QB sneak from under center, 1st & goal from the 6 (after getting a procedure penalty the play before)
But what does he know about football, & offense in particular?

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
At least we are occasionally sneaking it this season (successfully too). It only took 6 years to install it in the offense.

I have questioned Campbell's gameday decision making since Year 1 (see my post above). I happily held my tongue when we were winning and bringing in better talent. Unfortunately, it’s clear we have mostly underperformed for the last 4 seasons.

Nevertheless, we can clearly point to 2 changes that Campbell has made that have been successful: 1) the 3-3-5 defense and 2) the fact that we are occasionally sneaking it in short yardage situations (baby step). Let's hope a much bigger change is coming soon in terms of the offense.

I'm not ready to give up. Campbell clearly brought some big positives to the program from Day 1 (particularly in terms of talent evaluation).

Carnegie

Jul 10, 2019
I actually wondered on the second failure to score at the goal and not kicking a field goal, was Campbell pressuring Manning to get the ball in the end zone. Which he could not, therefore finalizing Campbell's decision to end Manning's job as OC.

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
Does anyone have the stat for success % this year for QB sneaks? I am probably incorrect, but it has felt like 100%.

AND, how can you not use 3 QB sneaks to try to gain 1.5 yards when you are on the 2.5 yard line with a 1st and goal being available at the 1 yard line? If ISU were put in the that situation I would say it was 95% chance we would get scored on. We're great, but 7 tries from the 2.5 is a LOT.

Texas Tech's D wasn't that good. They were provided a lot of assistance by our play calling last night.

Reactions: jdolson27

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Chip Kelly had UCLA run a QB sneak from under center, 1st & goal from the 6 (after getting a procedure penalty the play before)
But what does he know about football, & offense in particular?

UCLA last night was on the 1 yd line, and had the QB under center, and 3 TE sized guys in the backfield behind him.

He snaps the ball and sneaks it... with those 3 TE sized guys coming up behind him and pushing him into the endzone. I think the QB made it about 4 yds into the endzone before they got him down.

That's how you run a QB sneak folks.

1668965522864.png

If you click on this.... it's the very first clip.....

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
UCLA last night was on the 1 yd line, and had the QB under center, and 3 TE sized guys in the backfield behind him.

He snaps the ball and sneaks it... with those 3 TE sized guys coming up behind him and pushing him into the endzone. I think the QB made it about 4 yds into the endzone before they got him down.

View attachment 105759

Yup. @1:45 was the play immediately after the play I was referring to. Had it on the 1, procedure penalty. F it, they ran a sneak anyway from the 6 for 3 yards to the 3. Then they ran the PA play from shotgun for the TD (1:46 mark). That's how you get a defense on it's heels.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque

View attachment 105759

Personally, I would rather not bring all the defenders into the box. Especially with ISU's OL. Keep a couple WR's in game to keep DB's honest.

Manning's play calling was horrible on those 2 goal line possessions. Sure a QB sneak might have worked. But I would liked to have seen a quick pitch or QB option.

I liked Chip bringing TE in motion and then passing in flat.
It just seemed like lunacy to try to run the ball between tackles when OL isn't our strength and TT was selling out.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Personally, I would rather not bring all the defenders into the box. Especially with ISU's OL. Keep a couple WR's in game to keep DB's honest.

Manning's play calling was horrible on those 2 goal line possessions. Sure a QB sneak might have worked. But I would liked to have seen a quick pitch or QB option.

I liked Chip bringing TE in motion and then passing in flat.
It just seemed like lunacy to try to run the ball between tackles when OL isn't our strength and TT was selling out.

I would think it’s nearly impossible to stop a sneak with 3 decent sized guys pushing you from behind. I’d take my chances with that at least on the first attempt at it…. no reason to get too fancy.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
ISU's sneak design isn't a problem since it's generally been successful.

The problem is they don't run it.

The goal line yardage last night was a bit precarious for a sneak but perhaps use it to get something established.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
You honestly think Manning is going to install a play like a QB sneak when he literally coached Brock Purdy to NOT use his best weapon - scrambling for whatever yardage he could get when nothing was open downfield?

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
You honestly think Manning is going to install a play like a QB sneak when he literally coached Brock Purdy to NOT use his best weapon - scrambling for whatever yardage he could get when nothing was open downfield?
We literally ran the quarterback sneak yesterday, just did not try it near the goal line for some reason.

GoClone

Apr 16, 2006
What about being a little innovative and using your personnel to fit the situation? We have a big former QB in Easton Dean at 6'7". Line him up under center an plunge ahead twice...probably a TD just stretching ahead.

If you need to go shotgun (as Manning seems to like) in a full backfield, Dean can be a blocking back, or a direct snap quick passer...say like the jump pass but very likely without needing the jump part.

I am no football expert (obviously as I have watched a lot of Iowa State football) but please analyze this thought and tell me how it is any worse than what we did last night at the two.