Can we get a QB sneak installed in this offense?

RedBlooded

Jun 11, 2010
cedar falls
The false start on the two yard line gave me flash backs to the alamo bowl. Mistakes like that come at the most inopportune time for this team and seem to occur often.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
QB sneak with less than 1 yard to go works close to 99% of the time. When is the last time you saw a game where it didn't work?

I think that ISU stopped TX on a 3rd or 4th and 1 when they ran the sneak, but I am not sure. Anyway, I agree, most of the time a sneak is the right call. Remember when they were going for 4th and 1 and they called a TO? ISU was going to pass on that one too, because you could see the linemen all backing up to form a pocket.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
Maybe we should practice it with a cattle prod to get our linemen off at the first sound.;) After the first couple of times I bet they get the idea.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Just saw Seattle get stuffed on 4th and inches handing off to Marshon Lynch.

So that's out.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
I don't know if I missed this in previous posts but they did run a sneak under center earlier this year on a 4th and 2 against West Virginia so it is in the playbook

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
The bottom line is that we were blessed with a guy who could somehow will and fight his way for a first down for 3 years. Now the coaches have to figure something out.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I hate not going under center in these situations regardless of playcall, but let’s be honest, the OL got blown up. Until we shore up the OL, running up the middle on 4th and inches will always be a 50/50 play whether it’s QB, RB, shutgun, undercenter.

• Agree
Reactions: SCNCY

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I hate not going under center in these situations regardless of playcall, but let’s be honest, the OL got blown up. Until we shore up the OL, running up the middle on 4th and inches will always be a 50/50 play whether it’s QB, RB, shutgun, undercenter.

But there's just no way the bolded is accurate. There's no way you can convince me there is not a statistical advantage to either a QB sneak or, at a minimum, a direct handoff to a RB. Why start a guy from a dead standstill from a full 4 yards behind the line? What advantage could you possibly gain from that?

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
Nd defensive line would have stuffed a qb sneak all the same. Different play. Same result.

Thats just a 4-5 star defensive line vs a 3 star offensive line. And arguably our best OL was out remember.

• Agree
Reactions: CNECloneFan

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
It is inexcusable in any situation or game to not go under center on 4th and less than a yard...

In college football you are allowed to push from behind as well. You line up under center with your FB and RB behind you and you push your QB as far as he will go until that whistle blows and 99% of the time you get the first down at Iowa...Notice I said "Iowa" because even Brian freaking Ferentz isn't dumb enough to line up in Shotgun.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
You guys are overthinking this. Take Purdy out and replace him with Ray Lima, Jamal Johnson, or Matt Leo and THEN run the QB sneak. I would like to see anyone stop any of those three from gaining less than a yard.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
That was your rage. You turned it into a physical object and threw it into the other room, the ether.

If he was that mad, maybe he should be checking in the neighbor's house!

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
You guys are overthinking this. Take Purdy out and replace him with Ray Lima, Jamal Johnson, or Matt Leo and THEN run the QB sneak. I would like to see anyone stop any of those three from gaining less than a yard.
Worked with the fridge

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
C Williams put it well in the podcast about how if a sneak isn't there, at least have a play to go to for the situation.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
The 4th and inches call was easily the worst call by the coaching staff. We could all see it coming and saying- no, no, no! Not practicing under center, not have the OL push, not the biggest QB, are all as CMC puts it- Excuses.
We have the players on this roster to make 4th and inches. We just don't have a willingness of our coaching staff to prepare for it.
Now, on to the BB team's out of bounds plays.

• Agree
Reactions: GoodyISU1

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

You need at least one guy that can handle the ball and hold on to it with 2000 pounds of guys pushing you back and forth.

The line is pretty well the biggest issue, but the coaches can still find a way around it in some fashion similar to your idea.

• Agree
Reactions: GoodyISU1 and GTO

Help Support Us

Become a patron