Can we beat CU again?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Absolutely.

On Feb1 we lost to CU by 26. On March 2 we won by 5. A 31 point change in margin in 4 weeks, or 7.75/week.

With one more week, this would predict that ISU wins by 12.

However, an alternate method of prediction would be relative to the altitude the game was played at.

Altitide based margin prediction:
5430 Boulder, CO
920 Ames, IA
Difference of 4510ft
31 point change of margin = 0.0068 points / foot.
KC Altitude: 1025ft
A difference of 105 ft higher than Ames, resulting in just less than a point difference (.7).
ISU wins by 4.

Between the two, ISU wins by 4-12

Last edited:
Reactions: SeattleClone

yoteforever

Dec 24, 2008
Yes we can, but will be tough. They will be playing for their NCAA Tourney lives and I'm sure would like revenge from the game Wednesday night. We did shoot unbelievable against them and still only won by 5 points so it won't be easy.

Agree though still better match-up than playing Mizzou.

They shot unbelievable but still lost

Yes13

Oct 9, 2009
CU is the best match up we could have asked for. We need to have someone besides DG step up. Both DG and Burks are likely to have good games, but its up to the supporting cast to step up. We need Scotty and JVB to hit some threes, and maybe Godfrey can bull around their front line again. Please don't leave their shooters open this time.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I don't want to be a ****, so I hope you don't take it that way. We are not going to the NIT, even with 2 KC wins.

EDIT: The reasons I say this...we are the last place team, in a 12 team conference who will probably send only 5, maybe 6, to the big show. The NIT won't go that deep in one conference. Also, I've noticed those who are being tagged as "last 4 out" teams. BU, CU and NU are all on that line. One thing they all have in common...a "bad loss to ISU". I hate to say it, but there is not much respect heading our way.

I have a good grasp on who usually gets in and doesn't get in to the NCAA, just no clue what goes into NIT selection. You don't seem like a ****. Does the NIT put that much emphasis on conference standings? If we go 2-1 against CU, finish with a similar overall record to them, CU has a bad loss to San Francisco, we put 3x as many paying fans in the seats... they'll still pick CU based on conference finish? Colorado won the same number of road games as Iowa State, just two.

Are you talking about last four out for the NIT or last four out for the NCAA?

I have a hard time believing Nebraska is in anybody's "last four out" of the NCAA unless they go on a Big 12 tourney run. They played one non-conf road game, their rpi was in the 70s before last night's loss. They have one road win the entire season they won by a single point.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
If we play defense this time I believe we have a shot because I just can't see us putting up 90+ again

This is what I'm thinking as well, we will have to play much better to beat them this week.You don't give up 90 and win many games.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Looking for Railey to plug up the middle more next time.

Do the coaches normally tell the players whether or not the refs are calling a close or a loose foul game? Tournament games are usually called loose?

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I have a good grasp on who usually gets in and doesn't get in to the NCAA, just no clue what goes into NIT selection. You don't seem like a ****. Does the NIT put that much emphasis on conference standings? If we go 2-1 against CU, finish with a similar overall record to them, CU has a bad loss to San Francisco, we put 3x as many paying fans in the seats... they'll still pick CU based on conference finish? Colorado won the same number of road games as Iowa State, just two.

Are you talking about last four out for the NIT or last four out for the NCAA?

I have a hard time believing Nebraska is in anybody's "last four out" of the NCAA unless they go on a Big 12 tourney run. They played one non-conf road game, their rpi was in the 70s before last night's loss. They have one road win the entire season they won by a single point.

I was taking "last 4 out" of the NCAA. Nebraska is now on the next line, or "next 4 out".

As for the CU compare, their non-con is better than ours, and they beat a whole lot better teams than we did in conference. Texas, Mizzou and swept KState (just off the top), meaning they have at least one more conference road win than we do and wins against tournament teams. Unless CU or BU get in, we have zero wins vs. NCAA qualifier (and I don't think CU gets in if they lose to us again)

Cyclones9712

Mar 22, 2010
We beat CU at home, lost to them on the road but KC is a little over 1,000 ft of altitude and CU isn't good away from Boulder. I think we will win and send CU to thhe PAC-12 crying because they didn't get into the NCAA tourney. The reason: Iowa State. Same with Baylor and Nebraska too.

ISUCyclone06

Oct 31, 2010
Greensboro, NC
We will win this game. I am pretty confident we can outplay Colorado on a neutral court. Godfrey needs to continue his dominance of Colorado big men.

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines
I like facing them because I believe we can match up with them pretty well and as we saw a few days ago we can beat them. But I always have that thought at the back of my head can we beat them 2 times in a row? That always scares me.

Glad we do not face Mizzou though as I believe they will do some damage in the XII tourney....

you pretty much answered your own question right there....rendering this thread irrelevant....

flander1649

Apr 20, 2006
Kansas City
Visit site
Colorado typically has a weak crowd for the tourney so that's a plus. I don't think the line will be much, maybe CU favored by 4.5-5.5 ish. That's pretty telling in a 5/12 game.

And by a weak crowd there may be 8 buffs fans there. Last year I saw two groups of CU fans there they don't travel at all.