Can the Big 12 remain viable

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

I'm going to call a little BS on this UCF article.

You can't just subtract the Texas and OU game every single week and assume the other games would be on the exact same network at the exact same time slot.

To his credit he did mention UCF's unbeaten run as the reason for AAC viewership increase.

To some extent attendance at these games reflects actual viewership, not markets, but actual viewers. Every AAC school put 20-45K less fans in the stands for every game in 2019 (last year of fair attendance comparisons) than Iowa State did. There's a correlation to people actually watching on TV and actually going to games.

When Big 12 teams are doubling or tripling the game attendance, they aren't getting smoked on real eyeballs actual viewership.

I didn't even mention that I'm sure tickets are cheaper at AAC venues. If ticket prices were the same you'd likely see even greater disparity in fan interest, butts in the seats and real viewerships.

NodawayRiverClone

May 1, 2018
Firstly, like most of you I’m thinking the Big 12 is a goner. However, what if the other power 5s decide there is nobody currently worth pulling in? That is a logical stance. So for fun, I suggest the Big 12 do the following:
1) no mercy for Oklahoma and Texas. No negotiations on buyouts. No more favorable treatment and borderline rudeness from referees. Show potential new members that we also treat the big boys with disdain.
2) Bank any revenue forfeitures from OK and TX for future use.
3) go in heavy negotiations with Fox. Let them know we firmly stand with them and that we will provide plenty of games because….
4) expansion to 16 teams…invite UCF, Cincy, Memphis, Houston, BYU, Boise, CSU and one other….Be it SMU, UNLV or LA/Tulane.
5) be as innovative with this as you can. Try to put yourself into a position to get 1 possibly two teams in a playoff…

Being innovative? Are you thinking maybe 8-man college football or playing with 2 footballs at the same time?

Reactions: Dolokaju

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
I'm going to call a little BS on this UCF article.

You can't just subtract the Texas and OU game every single week and assume the other games would be on the exact same network at the exact same time slot.

To his credit he did mention UCF's unbeaten run as the reason for AAC viewership increase.

To some extent attendance at these games reflects actual viewership, not markets, but actual viewers. Every AAC school put 20-45K less fans in the stands for every game in 2019 (last year of fair attendance comparisons) than Iowa State did. There's a correlation to people actually watching on TV and actually going to games.

When Big 12 teams are doubling or tripling the game attendance, they aren't getting smoked on real eyeballs actual viewership.

I didn't even mention that I'm sure tickets are cheaper at AAC venues. If ticket prices were the same you'd likely see even greater disparity in fan interest, butts in the seats and real viewerships.

No doubt, you'd think folks would be showing up to these games if there were that much interest...

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/Attendance/2017.pdf
http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/Attendance/2018.pdf
http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/Attendance/2019.pdf

• Agree
Reactions: HFCS

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Highly unlikely, but one way the Big XII might survive would be to get Clemson and FSU. And, possibly 2 other ACC schools. They would be as good as TX and OU when negotiating media rights and our payday is better than the ACCs.

And, I wouldn't have to throw up in my mouth every time I think about joining the Big Ten.

• Haha
Reactions: Cy4Lifer and flycy

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Highly unlikely, but one way the Big XII might survive would be to get Clemson and FSU. And, possibly 2 other ACC schools. They would be as good as TX and OU when negotiating media rights and our payday is better than the ACCs.

And, I wouldn't have to throw up in my mouth every time I think about joining the Big Ten.

That ship sailed when the ACC locked in rights for the next 15 years. It’s actually one of the roadblocks to the idea of the “Super Duper SEC” that also includes U of M, OSU, and the top PAC 12 schools.

The bottom line is if UT and OU are gone, the Big 12 is done. It’s not salvageable. The AAC is in a better position at that point and would be picking at the carcass that is this conference.

• Haha
Reactions: DarkStar

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
That ship sailed when the ACC locked in rights for the next 15 years. It’s actually one of the roadblocks to the idea of the “Super Duper SEC” that also includes U of M, OSU, and the top PAC 12 schools.

The bottom line is if UT and OU are gone, the Big 12 is done. It’s not salvageable. The AAC is in a better position at that point and would be picking at the carcass that is this conference.

I guess we know for sure why the Big 12 locked it in for a decade less. Because of this $***.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
It depends on how many additional Big 12 schools get invitations to go elsewhere, and how fast, but the perceived prestige will not be retainable. I am confused as to why there's talk of the AAC poaching teams from the Big 12 rather than the other way around, given that it's the Big 12 that currently could force Texas and OU to pay up and retains autonomy privileges under NCAA governance. Some Big 12 schools besides UT and OU may leave, but for those that would otherwise go to the AAC, why wouldn't they invite whom they please to the Big 12 instead? Only if so many schools leave that the Big 12 collapses would the AAC be able to take some of them, but that's more like scavenging than poaching.

Agree with that.

It is indeed a time when every athletic dept. is fending for itself - even if not publicly - so if ISU KNEW (and I know we don't have the crystal ball) that an invite from the BIG or PAC 12 is not forth coming, then the best option while the negotiating can be done would be (in my opinion) to add our chosen select 4 from the AAC / BYU and roll on. Memphis, Cincy, BYU (if they'd join) and maybe a UCF or USF. It is not ideal, but that seems better to enforce existing Big XII rights and stay relevant as a league with no top 10 type programs, but at least stay afloat in some sort of not quite P5, but not G-5 either type of league. If we wait too long, we could end up in a worse situation. Crazy time.

One thing's for sure, I'll still be attending ISU games regardless.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I guess we know for sure why the Big 12 locked it in for a decade less. Because of this $***.

The reason why it’s dead is because of the report from CBS - that with with them leaving, the language in the TV contract states conference TV earnings can/will drop accordingly. When the per school number drops from $35 mil to as low as $9 mil, it’s over. And adding BYU, UCF, Houston, and/or Memphis isn’t going to help that number. It’s why I look at people that insist that we should have added those schools when we had the chance like they’re stupid. More members might have kept the conference stable, but it wouldn’t have kept UT and OU from leaving, and it wouldn’t have solved the problem that the conference isn’t worth Jack **** without them.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Honestly I think the Big 12 would have to do something crazy like jump to 14 or 16 teams.

Add: Cincy, Houston, Memphis, UCF, USF, Colorado St, Boise State, BYU.

However the sheer size of the footprint isn't attractive. WVU would be pleading to join the ACC before having to send their volleyball team to Provo on a Tuesday night.

Also the western teams would complain about the basketball tourney being so far away same with the east (WVU already does but they have to suck it up since they are the only team out east).

Plus expanding that far wouldn't make the Big 12 more stable. I also can't say that would help give everyone more money, more likely just increase the mouths to feed.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
For how long? Not forever, certainly. But in 2022 they are still P5 right?
Theoretically we could stay at 8 until the contracts are up and we have all found new homes.

No. This is the last year of the Big 12. Media rights are going to be a fraction of what they were after ESPN/FOX get to reopen those deals due to a membership change.

Reactions: acoustimac

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I think Jamie has known this was going to happen since the GOR was signed.

I would agree, and I believe that’s why JP’s been so aggressively trying to raise ISU’s profile since then. A decade ago we were essentially relegated to the restructured Big East or AAC or MWC. Now in the media’s eyes we’re one of the schools that makes most sense to land in the Big 10.

If he pulls off what was considered impossible a decade ago and we end up in the Big 10, or even the PAC 12, I wouldn’t flinch at the idea of a lifetime contract for him.

• Agree
Reactions: usedcarguy