Can Morris be half ....

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
I guess since I'm here, why did it take Curry three or four years to break out in the league? What kind of player was he in his early years and at Davidson? I haven't paid attention.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
NcsEoyGjuLUYg.webp

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
If your are wanting to know if Monte can be half of Curry then you need to know where the low mark is at. Obviously Curry is the high mark. So if an average dude is the low mark, then Monte is 90% of Curry. That's a fact, it's science.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
He finished his final season at Davidson averaging 28.6 points, 5.6 assists, and 2.5 steals. He was the NCAA scoring leader and was named a consensus first team All-American.[39]

And Davidson went pretty far in the tournament almost entirely on Curry's shooting.

"In 2008, the No. 10-seeded Wildcats ripped off a magical run to the Elite Eight. Curry, a sophomore, averaged 34.3 points, 3.7 assists and 4.0 steals while shooting 50.8 percent from the field and 52.8 percent from downtown during a three-game tear against No. 7 Gonzaga, No. 2 Georgetown and No. 3 Wisconsin. Davidson came within a bucket of knocking off top-seeded Kansas and advancing to the Final Four. Curry scored a game-high 25 points in that 59-57 loss."

Reactions: CycloneErik

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
I guess since I'm here, why did it take Curry three or four years to break out in the league? What kind of player was he in his early years and at Davidson? I haven't paid attention.

Also...
Picked #7 in the draft.
Finished second in the Rookie of the Year voting in 2009.
Missed almost all of 2011 with injuries.
Set NBA record for 3 pointers in 2012

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I'd like to think I'm half as good as Curry.

Assuming Curry is 100 and a basketball embedded in concrete is 0.

I'm at least a 50 on that scale.
vauEUgn.gif

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
And Davidson went pretty far in the tournament almost entirely on Curry's shooting.

"In 2008, the No. 10-seeded Wildcats ripped off a magical run to the Elite Eight. Curry, a sophomore, averaged 34.3 points, 3.7 assists and 4.0 steals while shooting 50.8 percent from the field and 52.8 percent from downtown during a three-game tear against No. 7 Gonzaga, No. 2 Georgetown and No. 3 Wisconsin. Davidson came within a bucket of knocking off top-seeded Kansas and advancing to the Final Four. Curry scored a game-high 25 points in that 59-57 loss."

While Davidson/Curry routinely play a VERY Tough non conference schedule, their league play is in the Atantic 10, a big step down from the Big 12. No question that when NCAA tournament began, Curry caught many teams unaware. (Morris never had that luxury.) Morris' 4 years of competition is much higher than Curry's was. Morris, however, has a big advantage of watching what has already been accomplished by Curry, and just how he has done it. Not many in Morris' peers have a chance at doing what Curry has done. Morris has seven years to be half as good as Curry. I just think he might.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
If we're making unfair comparisons to active elite point guards, Chris Paul is the correct choice.

Reactions: ProhmanEmpire

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Morris can be one of two things. He could be a long time starter on teams with other playmakers like Mario Chalmers or he could be a bench guy who spells a star PG somewhere like OKC or Memphis. If he's a starter on a team and is expected to carry a significant amount of scoring, his career will look like Trey Burke or someone similar. He just doesn't have enough physical gifts to be a great player. In college, you don't need them. In the NBA, it's really hard to be really good without them.

isuclone89

Oct 23, 2007
Medical Lake, WA
Morris can be one of two things. He could be a long time starter on teams with other playmakers like Mario Chalmers or he could be a bench guy who spells a star PG somewhere like OKC or Memphis. If he's a starter on a team and is expected to carry a significant amount of scoring, his career will look like Trey Burke or someone similar. He just doesn't have enough physical gifts to be a great player. In college, you don't need them. In the NBA, it's really hard to be really good without them.
Many would have said the same about Jeff Hornacek. He had to build as his career progressed in the league.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
Also...
Picked #7 in the draft.
Finished second in the Rookie of the Year voting in 2009.
Missed almost all of 2011 with injuries.
Set NBA record for 3 pointers in 2012
Fair. I guess he wasn't very under the radar. I don't really follow the NBA outside of Niang, Nader, and soon to be Morris. Might watch the Finals this year if my brother records it while I'm away. Thanks to everyone for responding.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Many would have said the same about Jeff Hornacek. He had to build as his career progressed in the league.

He played in a different time, though. He played in a time where it was more valuable to have a facilitator that could score a little rather than a scorer who could facilitate a little. He scored 20 pts a game for one season, 19 for another and otherwise was in the mid teens. The point isn't how good of a player Monte is, for me. It's about questioning the opportunity he will be given as teams are focused on finding that James Harden, Russ Westbrook, Kyrie Irving, etc. If he's in the league two years, starting and putting up 15 and 6, let's say, a team will be looking to upgrade. That doesn't mean he isn't being effective or isn't a good NBA player. I just don't know if he'll be in one spot long term unless it's loaded roster where he gives them 15 minutes a game and is happy with that. Becoming an elite shooter, imo, is his way to make his career more than that. If he goes somewhere bad, I think he could be a 20 and 8 guy when asked to do that much. I just don't think a team asking him to do that is going to be all that good, though.

Cyclonefan710

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2012
Mostly agree, but I'd say Morris is on-par with Curry's "handles". He is an elite ball handler, but has nowhere near the shooting, quickness or finishing capabilities of Curry.... completely different players.

I hope this is a joke. Morris has good handles but comparing them to Curry is idiotic.

• Agree
Reactions: Psiclone

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
No. Curry plays at an elite level few players reach. Not an insult to Monte, but no.

I disagree, he can be half the player Curry is, but would that player be a good NBA player? If Steph were a 33% 3 point shooter would he be in an NBA rotation?

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
I disagree, he can be half the player Curry is, but would that player be a good NBA player? If Steph were a 33% 3 point shooter would he be in an NBA rotation?
Good point. 33% is not far below the league average. And, As good as Curry is at 3ptshooting, ~half his points are 2 pt shots/ft.

• Friendly
Reactions: Clone05

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Don't think he can ever be the shooter Curry is. Morris has the handles/speed/hands Curry has now and could improve finishing at the rim, however Curry's elite shooting is what sets him apart from the rest of the league.
Kyrie Irving is the only other player that has the handles of Curry. Stop it. Being a good college player doesn't automatically mean you slide right in as a good NBA player. The NBA D-League is chock full of really good college players.