Camping World Bowl- Who would go?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Agree.
Fwiw, the Orlando metro area is basically the same population as SA.

yeah, but it’s more spread out and not quite the Iowa state takeover like the other two. I couldn’t go to San Antonio so I’d love a repeat of that. But in Memphis it was like it was only iowa stste fans.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
It not so much a population comparison issue, it is the location of the stadium/Orlando in general.
Right, which is a totally different statement than filtering by “big city”. Orlando itself isn’t big, and the metro area isn’t different than any of the Texas cities.

What people really like is better urban planning and centralization. Orlando itself is barely bigger than DSM. Orlando kind of sucks, not just for Bowl games, for the reasons you listed imo

• Disagree
Reactions: GoodyISU1

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
The Big 12 needs another bowl in Florida, not necessarily Orlando, but we need to get rid of a Texas bowl or the Cactus bowl and pick up another in Florida. Wish the Gator Bowl was still with the Big 12.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
It is slowing changing, but I'm pretty sure there are a number of fanbases that groan at the prospect of playing us too. We not exactly a sexy matchup.

Is a "non-marquee" team that brings a boatload of fans even less desirable to opposing fans?

When I see Wake Forest my first thought isn't that they suck but that ISU fans would outnumber them 10 to 1. I'm guessing some ISU fans like that and some would rather have it be two huge groups of fans. Playing a team with less fans can keep cost down.

I also bet most ACC, SEC, Pac, or G5 fans wouldn't even realize that ISU will bring 10s of thousands. Big Ten West fans would know.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
I would think this wold be popular for a lot of families as well, being an opportunity to go to Disney.

I for one won't be able to go to a bowl game this year.

Great location for those with families. As someone with no kids and doesn’t want to eat at Orlando Applebee’s all week i have very little desire to go to Orlando

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Only good thing is it's a place we've never been to. I wouldn't go since I've been a ton of times for conferences and one coming up in November and I'm pretty well Orlando'ed out. Plus it's not a young people with no family type of city.

Also the area around the Stadium is really ******

Sugar Bowl or bust for me.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Dec 27-29 and Jan 2+ windows are the only dates that we can ever attend a bowl, due to annual obligations. So yeah, I would like to go. Might be problematic this year coming one month after Battle4Atlantis, though.