Camping Trip Advice

Deanster

Mar 3, 2012
Heading on a camping trip in a few weeks with my girlfriend. She wants to go to Decorah, as her family went there once or twice a year growing up. Right now, the plan is to camp at Pulpit Rock Campground.

Probably going to arrive on Thursday and stay through Saturday or Sunday.

When we camp (rarely), we are typically with other couples that camp regularly and have basically everything.

Usually we just bring a tent and beer. Ideally, we are hoping for a spot with electricity, but also somewhat isolated (might be a reach).

Any tips/advice on what to bring? Anybody camped in Decorah before?

Deanster

Mar 3, 2012
We will for sure be visiting Toppling Goliath. Anyone know some other good places to eat/drink in the area?

• Agree
Reactions: ajk4st8

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Mabes Pizza for sure. Whippy Dip Ice cream. T-Bocks is an ok bar. You mentioned TG which is great.

Bike trail is fun. Maybe consider a canoe trip.

We usually stay out at Highlandville because I spend most of the time fly fishing.

Pulpit Rock is a nice campground, but I doubt you will get the isolated feeling. Its pretty busy there always. But for how busy it is, its nice.

• Informative
Reactions: Deanster

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
TG, Mabe's, Whippey Dip are all good. If you are a biker the Trout Run Trail is really nice - 11 mile loop around town with great views. Canoe/kayak on the Upper Iowa from Bluffton down to Decorah. Ice Cave North of Town is cool to check out and the waterfalls at Dunning's Spring is really good too.

I don't camp but have done a lot of day-trips up there - neat area with a lot to do.

• Informative
Reactions: Deanster

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
Mcaffery's out on a gravel road has some awesome pizza if you want something different. Kinds like gyro, BBQ chicken. Different take on Pizza.

If you are a fisherman, good trout fishing there. Usually water so clear you can see the fish.

Reactions: Sterling4Cy

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Pulpit Rock Brewing is pretty close to TG. Never been, but I've had a few of their beers and they are nothing to sneeze at either :cool: