Camping in Iowa suggestions

Cy94

Nov 11, 2011
Looking for campgrounds in Iowa without security lights and the drone of RV air conditioners. I do not believe these exist in this state.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Looking for campgrounds in Iowa without security lights and the drone of RV air conditioners. I do not believe these exist in this state.

Try this website (http://www.mycountyparks.com/default.aspx). I'm sure you can find some county parks with primitive sites that aren't too close to RV's. One that comes to mind is Eden Valley Refuge in Clinton County. They have some hike in primitives that would fill your desire for seclusion. The DNR has information for all the state parks on their site, although those seem to be busier and a bit "louder" during peak camping season IMO.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Yellow River was fairly quiet when we went there.

Yeah, while I've never camped there, hiking only, Yellow River SF campgrounds are going to be pretty quiet.

Also, we camped at Backbone this weekend at the South Lake campground, and some in our group hiked up to the other campground (Six Pines) and said it was absolutely deserted. This is also primitive camping.

I think the thing is to look for the primitive campsites. I tried going to the reservation site and seeing if you can downselect for primitive campsites, but didn't find it quickly...

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Lots of tent camping at Lake Wapello in Davis County. Also Shimek State Forest in SE Iowa...though you might be sharing with horses, at one of the grounds...and...chiggers. Got my best case of chiggers EVER while hiking in that park. My feet looked like two hand grenades for weeks.

:pcool:

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I will second both Yellow River and Backbone. Bankston is another place you could try, and Joy Springs. All in eastern Iowa.

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
We've gone to Paradise Valley in NE Iowa. I think it's actually in Clayton County. There aren't a whole lot of people in that area, so I imagine anywhere you go should be pretty quiet.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Yellow River as already mentioned is very nice. When I was doing some canoe camping very end of May I really enjoyed Eagle City Park(city no longer exists) on the Iowa River in Grundy County. Nice and secluded but had a hand pump for water, a pit toilet, a couple of picnic tables and fire grates.

southernfriedCY

Feb 11, 2009
Stephens State Forest, Lucas Unit has primitive sites with hiking trails only (ie. No horses). The Woodburn unit has some pretty remote walk-in sites as well.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
It might be a bummer for those planning to camp and boat over the 4th of July this year at various campgrounds this year. Especially in central Iowa as major flood control at Saylorville Lake will likely close most/all ramps for the week... The lake isn't forecasted to begin falling until July 3rd when it crests at 44 feet above normal levels

http://rivergages.mvr.usace.army.mil/WaterControl/Districts/MVR/Forecast/sayforecast.html

https://www.weareiowa.com/news/loca...-at-saylorville-lake-cause-concern/1252702245

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron