Campbell weighs in on pay-for-play vs. NIL deals in college football recruiting

JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA
Good stuff from Coach Campbell here.

20eyes

May 15, 2020
From the article...

That is not name, image and likeness, and it is not what the people who have been standing up for players’ rights to profit off their image have been pushing for years.

The problem with CMC's comment is that it's dead wrong. The collectives are permissible and are very much NIL. This is what affording student-athletes the right to profit looks like. They will. Especially with the help of rich programs and programs with a system in place from enriching players illegally for years.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
From the article...

That is not name, image and likeness, and it is not what the people who have been standing up for players’ rights to profit off their image have been pushing for years.

The problem with CMC's comment is that it's dead wrong. The collectives are permissible and are very much NIL. This is what affording student-athletes the right to profit looks like. They will. Especially with the help of rich programs and programs with a system in place from enriching players illegally for years.

But I think what Campbell means is that just paying a player is not the intent of NIL.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
From the article...

I'm not sure you're interpreting that quite correctly. Pay-for-play and NIL are too very different concepts. Pay-for-play would allow college athletes to be paid something resembling a salary. You are paid to play football by this school. It would undoubtedly be coupled with restrictions, caps, rules, etc.

NIL is not about a school paying them, but rather about them benefiting from their popularity and notoriety.

At some point the line between the two became blurred and I think that's what Campbell is talking about. Once they realized there's really no governing what constitutes NIL, it became its hybrid of pay-for-play, just without any rules, and I'm not sure that's what anyone envisioned wanting.

20eyes

May 15, 2020
But I think what Campbell means is that just paying a player is not the intent of NIL.
And what I'm saying is intent means nothing.

I'm also saying NIL is de facto pay for play, or at least it is in the hands of programs that want it to be, like Texas.

It matters not at all what anyone envisioned...we HAVE pay for play. This is what the right to earning money off NIL looks like.

20eyes

May 15, 2020
I think Campbell is saying that some schools are doing pay for play, but it's being masked as NIL, and he doesn't like that aspect of it
Exactly right...and the relegation begins. ISU under Campbell won't stoop to UT's level, or the rest of the filthy SEC...but a lot of programs will.

With the right GM...errrrrrrr...AD, Kansas could dominate the Big 12 in three years...two?

• Haha
Reactions: isufbcurt

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Exactly right...and the relegation begins. ISU under Campbell won't stoop to UT's level, or the rest of the filthy SEC...but a lot of programs will.

With the right GM...errrrrrrr...AD, Kansas could dominate the Big 12 in three years...two?
Deep pocket KU fans aren't going to take their dollars away from Bill Self to give to the thing they call a football program.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa

I'm also saying NIL is de facto pay for play, or at least it is in the hands of programs that want it to be, like Texas.

It matters not at all what anyone envisioned...we HAVE pay for play. This is what the right to earning money off NIL looks like.
Campbell holds the idealist view ('earning it) to your realist one, unfortunately.

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
I believe Campbell's idealistic view on NIL / Pay for play truly represents how he feels. I also believe that this is the ONLY position ISU and Matt can take on the matter, and it is extremely convenient for a school who CAN"T compete in the "Pay for play disguised as NIL" model. Pollard takes the same position, but on a much larger scale. Someone said ISU WON'T stoop to the SEC level, but I think its more because we CAN'T.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque

There are always ways to address NIL through regulation.

The college sport governing bodies could prohibit "boosters" from donating to collectives.

An independent 3rd party could review NIL agreements for financial reasonableness based on an athletes NIL services.

The governing body could prohibit agency's/agents from fronting athlete's money.

In the end, the NCAA or whoever the governing body can determine an athletes eligibility to receive a scholarship and play. So I am sure a bunch of smart people can bring NIL back in line with the original purpose.

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
This all started with NCAA Football on PlayStation. The kids thought they should be paid for their likenesses being used to sell the video game. Maybe rightfully so. That is what NIL is. Someone uses your name, image or likeness to sell their product then you should get paid for that. Handing over money absent using a name, image or likeness is just paying players. Campbell is right.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
I never clicked on it to see details or even if true.

View attachment 100119

Looks like it is true.

Kid is a no show and left Florida and coaches standing at the altar. https://www.espn.com/college-footba...ada-faq-top-recruit-nil-deal-florida-football

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
I believe Campbell's idealistic view on NIL / Pay for play truly represents how he feels. I also believe that this is the ONLY position ISU and Matt can take on the matter, and it is extremely convenient for a school who CAN"T compete in the "Pay for play disguised as NIL" model. Pollard takes the same position, but on a much larger scale. Someone said ISU WON'T stoop to the SEC level, but I think its more because we CAN'T.
You are a wise man, Big Sill, I was going to post the exact same thing. Easy to have principles, when you cannot afford not to.

Reactions: Farnsworth

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
You are a wise man, Big Sill, I was going to post the exact same thing. Easy to have principles, when you cannot afford not to.
I'm a HUGE fan of Matt Campbell, but I have to agree that ISU's position on NIL seems a bit hypocritical.

It sounds like Campbell is saying it's fine for players to earn NIL big bucks, but those dollars should be used only to retain players, not to recruit them.

Didn't ISU offer Campbell around $3 million/year to leave Toledo and come to ISU? So it's ok to do that for coaches, but not for players?

• Agree
Reactions: Lineup

Jonyrose

Oct 5, 2017
I'm a HUGE fan of Matt Campbell, but I have to agree that ISU's position on NIL seems a bit hypocritical.

It sounds like Campbell is saying it's fine for players to earn NIL big bucks, but those dollars should be used only to retain players, not to recruit them.

Didn't ISU offer Campbell around $3 million/year to leave Toledo and come to ISU? So it's ok to do that for coaches, but not for players?

Yes, but Campbell had a coaching history. I think his concern is these players with no history at the collegiate level getting brought in by those massive numbers

Reactions: Farnsworth

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Yes, but Campbell had a coaching history. I think his concern is these players with no history at the collegiate level getting brought in by those massive numbers
Of course they don't have any history at the collegiate level - they're high school seniors. But they've had an incredible history of success at the high school level. By the same token, Campbell had no history at the power 5 level. So it's okay for Campbell to receive millions before he ever coaches a game at Iowa State, but it's not okay for a highly sought after player to receive thousands before he ever plays at game at Iowa State. Seems inconsistent to me.

Look, I hate the idea of 18 year olds being paid enormous sums of money to enroll at university, but I do respect their right to share in the massive amount of money that's been going to their coaches who, for many years, have been getting rich off the players' hard work.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron