All FB coaching rumors and speculation

TClone99

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
there are two directions you can go when in campbell's situation:

1. pretty much lifetime contract at school / iowa state as long as he regularly gets 6+ wins and can get a few mulligan seasons (i.e. bill snyder, mike gundy, kirk ferentz, ...) and ability to operate the program mostly independently
2. go to blue blood and likely get fired in 2-4 years and have boosters, etc. in your business 24/7 (these programs have very unrealistic expectations so it's hard to have any long-term job security) -- you get paid more in the short term, but I don't know if you're better off long-term

what direction he wants to go depends on what he wants (and probably more importantly his wife)
This is where I’m at too. I actually think Iowa State is a great job right now. Unreal fan support. Manageable expectations. On top of that there’s actually a little cache to the ISU brand at this point. Kids have seen us on TV and we’re actually kinda cool. Then add in the fact that this program is Matt’s baby. Doesn’t he want to see how far he can take this thing with recruits he was able to pull after proving he can win here? I honestly think it would be foolish to leave.

TClone99

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
They’ve finished in the top 7 of 247s recruiting classes 3 of the last 5 years despite not playing on a national scale, so I think they’re doing fine.
Probably because old farts like us who determine those ratings think that a kid who goes to mighty USC must be really good. The product they’ve been putting in the field lately has been poor.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I don’t think high school kids today are that impressed by the USC brand. They’ve been quite irrelevant for a while now. They were in Kindergarten when Reggie Bush was dazzling us.

They were the last team imo to have that era where they were IT.

There's been dynasty type teams since with Florida and Bama but for whatever reason it just doesn't compare.

Now they're just some program that plays in an old stadium.

• Agree
Reactions: Lyon309Cy

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
Probably because old farts like us who determine those ratings think that a kid who goes to mighty USC must be really good. The product they’ve been putting in the field lately has been poor.

Call me crazy but this may be why they are looking for a new coach?

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
Im sweating it out if OSU or ND calls. He can go win Nattys at those schools.
USC is like TX, you need a coach with star power to keep the prima donna recruits in line. MC isnt that guy, he’s a perfect fit for a blue blood B10 school or ND.

Reactions: DBQR4CY

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
This is where I’m at too. I actually think Iowa State is a great job right now. Unreal fan support. Manageable expectations. On top of that there’s actually a little cache to the ISU brand at this point. Kids have seen us on TV and we’re actually kinda cool. Then add in the fact that this program is Matt’s baby. Doesn’t he want to see how far he can take this thing with recruits he was able to pull after proving he can win here? I honestly think it would be foolish to leave.

Maybe also someone can come in and carry the torch a bit if CMC leaves.

The job has to be more appealing than it was even 5 years ago.

danvillecyclone

Dec 8, 2011
If you have to use examples from 10-20 years ago to prove your point, I think that says it all.

For everyone one guy who made it back to another big time opportunity, there are 10 guys that didn’t.

My point is that if Matt Campbell takes the USC job and fails, it will be an uphill battle to get back to where he is right now. Not impossible, but very, very difficult.
I used examples from 20 years ago to 20 hours ago. If you haven’t heard. coach O was coaching last night for LSU.

It shows a pattern. You can not win and get fired. You can have have a stripper order room service on the university and get fired. You can win Natty’s and get fired.

nice try though.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010

Did you see they had 14 men on the field at the snap at one point against BYU last night?

• Haha
Reactions: isufbcurt

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
I agree

I also think with the recruiting classes we've been acquiring and the new big 12 teams, we could be a program that perennially competes for big 12 championships if campbell and the staff stay

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I used examples from 20 years ago to 20 hours ago. If you haven’t heard. coach O was coaching last night for LSU.

It shows a pattern. You can not win and get fired. You can have have a stripper order room service on the university and get fired. You can win Natty’s and get fired.

nice try though.

I don’t even know the point you are trying to make? Of course if you don’t win (and win big) you’ll get fired at a Top 10 job. And then the second you stop winning like O, Mullen, etc. you get fired. No one is arguing that. My point is that if you do get fired, the road back to a similar level to where that coach was before taking the Top 10 job isn’t very easy. It takes time and usually that coach has to go back to the bottom to work their way back up.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I don’t think high school kids today are that impressed by the USC brand. They’ve been quite irrelevant for a while now. They were in Kindergarten when Reggie Bush was dazzling us.

While I agree with you for the most part, you are also looking at it from a perspective way out of their recruiting base. You can't just say 'high school kids today' and lump them all together. They have huge population pockets over there with major talent in the west coast and those kids are exposed to a very different media bias than the national scene. I don't think a lot of top tier Cali talent is looking to run to areas of the country like the south, when they feel they have a good product near home they can gain the same results from.

On the national stage the Pac has fallen off purely due to time zone (and national aka espn bias, but that's a different story), however that is not what these top tier recruits in their area see day to day.

edit: We aren't even East Coast, and how much West Coast football do you actually watch? The Saturday night cap is fun to wind the day down with/fall asleep to but you aren't invested. You hear more about these teams from highlights, stories, etc, that you have to seek out yourself. Not playing Those first 6 hours kills national coverage.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
They’ve finished in the top 7 of 247s recruiting classes 3 of the last 5 years despite not playing on a national scale, so I think they’re doing fine.

Hell, all he has to say to Cali kids is "Son, I've been there. Do you know how cold it gets in Ohio and Michigan in the winter?" ;)

TClone99

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
While I agree with you for the most part, you are also looking at it from a perspective way out of their recruiting base. You can't just say 'high school kids today' and lump them all together. They have huge population pockets over there with major talent in the west coast and those kids are exposed to a very different media bias than the national scene. I don't think a lot of top tier Cali talent is looking to run to areas of the country like the south, when they feel they have a good product near home they can gain the same results from.

On the national stage the Pac has fallen off purely due to time zone (and national aka espn bias, but that's a different story), however that is not what these top tier recruits in their area see day to day.

edit: We aren't even East Coast, and how much West Coast football do you actually watch? The Saturday night cap is fun to wind the day down with/fall asleep to but you aren't invested. You hear more about these teams from highlights, stories, etc, that you have to seek out yourself. Not playing Those first 6 hours kills national coverage.
Yes I was speaking from a National perspective. Obviously a brand has more staying power in the local region.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Yes I was speaking from a National perspective. Obviously a brand has more staying power in the local region.

Well doesn't that prove my point then? I don't think USC is trying to land the top recruits from Texas, Ohio, or the South. National Perspective isn't what matters when it comes down to recruiting, which is why they talk about regional ties so much in coaching hiring.

"high school kids" on a national level doesn't matter to recruiting at USC if you want to hang your hat on 'well Reggie Bush was forever ago'.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Im sweating it out if OSU or ND calls. He can go win Nattys at those schools.
USC is like TX, you need a coach with star power to keep the prima donna recruits in line. MC isnt that guy, he’s a perfect fit for a blue blood B10 school or ND.

Hope you are right. You probably are if we take that CMC is who he talks like he is. Doing a basketball analogy, can you image Campbell coaching the Memphis basketball five-star recruits we beat the other night or a similar squad of Kentucky one-and-dones?

TClone99

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Well doesn't that prove my point then? I don't think USC is trying to land the top recruits from Texas, Ohio, or the South. National Perspective isn't what matters when it comes down to recruiting, which is why they talk about regional ties so much in coaching hiring.

"high school kids" on a national level doesn't matter to recruiting at USC if you want to hang your hat on 'well Reggie Bush was forever ago'.
Fair enough.

Help Support Us

Become a patron