All FB coaching rumors and speculation

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
Jim Harbaugh was a midwesterner and did just fine recently at Stanford.

This is true but not the whole story. Harbaugh spent a few years learning to coach and building his network at University of San Diego before jumping to Stanford. In fact Harbaugh brought his team to Des Moines to play Drake and they steamrolled the Bulldogs (I was at that game, their QB was Johnson who is still in the NFL with the Jets).

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Personally, I’d give USC a shot, so I don’t blame Matt if he goes. These coaches all live for and love a challenge, so imagine you’re given a chance to turn around a blue blood program like USC? A place with great tradition, endless resources, blank checks, and access to the country’s best recruits? Sure, it might not work out and you might get fired after 3-4 seasons, but at least you tried. And as young as he is, he’d land on his feet someplace else.

Its not as easy to “land on your feet” after flaming out of a high profile job as you think. Lane Kiffin is a good example of someone who did. But it took him almost a decade to rebuild.

And for everyone Kiffin, there are many Willie Taggarts and Jim McElweins and Charlie Strongs.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
To be fair the best thing you have done is hire people who can actually write. People complaining about the pay site stuff is annoying. Either pay for it or don’t. There is not a lot of media you do not need to pay for with this site being no different. You are paying to get the info 24-48 hours earlier than others.

Agree - premium should get access to insider news, that’s what you pay for! To be fair to Pants, I dont think they were complaining about the pay site stuff, I think they were complaining about this:

1638109085372.jpeg

One can’t click anything above the bottom line of the Chevy ad and your left to seeing only one post at a time on your screen.

My guess is that it’s supposed to be a top ribbon, much like the bottom ribbon ad at the bottom of that picture, and just formats wrong.

That being said, it used to be a constant issue for me. Now I only get it every 4-5 pages. My guess is it’s an unfixable issue because usually CF has bugs patched quickly

danvillecyclone

Dec 8, 2011
Its not as easy to “land on your feet” after flaming out of a high profile job as you think. Lane Kiffin is a good example of someone who did. But it took him almost a decade to rebuild.

And for everyone Kiffin, there are many Willie Taggarts and Jim McElweins and Charlie Strongs.

Mike Dubose, John L Smith, Mike Shula, Mike Price, Dennis Franchione, GENE CHIZIK, Ed Orgeron…..shall I go on?

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
I still think that Campbell is a fan of creature comforts that come from being a Midwest coach...he is not going to go somewhere that falls outside of his comfort zone...Midwest work ethics, no individuals (he wouldn't tolerate a team full of self entitled 5-stars), doesn't go for the media flash, etc.

What's a step up from ISU...Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, etc. No way LSU, USC, etc. flicks his bic. I would have trouble seeing him take an NFL job...see self-entitled 5-stars above. Maybe I'm wrong...if so, I'll wish Matt luck and we will move on...we are ISU in that sense.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Mike Dubose, John L Smith, Mike Shula, Mike Price, Dennis Franchione, GENE CHIZIK, Ed Orgeron…..shall I go on?

If you have to use examples from 10-20 years ago to prove your point, I think that says it all.

For everyone one guy who made it back to another big time opportunity, there are 10 guys that didn’t.

My point is that if Matt Campbell takes the USC job and fails, it will be an uphill battle to get back to where he is right now. Not impossible, but very, very difficult.

Reactions: DBQR4CY and CapnCy

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Personally, I’d give USC a shot, so I don’t blame Matt if he goes. These coaches all live for and love a challenge, so imagine you’re given a chance to turn around a blue blood program like USC? A place with great tradition, endless resources, blank checks, and access to the country’s best recruits? Sure, it might not work out and you might get fired after 3-4 seasons, but at least you tried. And as young as he is, he’d land on his feet someplace else.
There is one HUGE reason why his age may work against other teams prying him away. He has kids that are getting older, sometimes parents don’t want to bounce them around 3-4 different middle schools/high schools. They want them to to feel stability and not like they are chasing dad everywhere.

danvillecyclone

Dec 8, 2011
As for not having connections to West Coast or the South, these programs are mostly recruiting Nationally. 10-15 years ago that mattered. Not so much anymore.

USC has many guys from Texas and some from Georgia/Florida on the roster.

Any Cali HS coach would love to have the Head Coach of USC walking through their schools and then have their kid play at USC.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
On a side note...

Twitter sucks. Matt really has the attention of TOE fans. Half of the comments aren't very complementary about ISU or coach.

Plus the first thing I see this morning is a video of a guy getting shot in Texas....lordy

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
On a side note...

Twitter sucks. Matt really has the attention of TOE fans. Half of the comments aren't very complementary about ISU or coach.

Plus the first thing I see this morning is a video of a guy getting shot in Texas....lordy

Who cares what Iowa fans think? This is a fan base dumb enough to believe Pollard couldn't afford to pay concession stand workers for the TCU game on Friday.

Twitter is fine. As with everything online, it's all about how you curate your own experience. Iowa's fan base is full of ******** and your quality of life will go up dramatically if you do what you can to filter them out.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
If you have to use examples from 10-20 years ago to prove your point, I think that says it all.

For everyone one guy who made it back to another big time opportunity, there are 10 guys that didn’t.

My point is that if Matt Campbell takes the USC job and fails, it will be an uphill battle to get back to where he is right now. Not impossible, but very, very difficult.
Bret bielema, UConn coach who just quit, Rutgers current coach, butch davis, Les miles, could name several more just in the last five years. Just retreads that teams think they can make it work there.

• Winner
Reactions: cycloneML

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
there are two directions you can go when in campbell's situation:

1. pretty much lifetime contract at school / iowa state as long as he regularly gets 6+ wins and can get a few mulligan seasons (i.e. bill snyder, mike gundy, kirk ferentz, ...) and ability to operate the program mostly independently
2. go to blue blood and likely get fired in 2-4 years and have boosters, etc. in your business 24/7 (these programs have very unrealistic expectations so it's hard to have any long-term job security) -- you get paid more in the short term, but I don't know if you're better off long-term

what direction he wants to go depends on what he wants (and probably more importantly his wife)

• Winner
Reactions: cycloneworld

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Bret bielema, UConn coach who just quit, Rutgers current coach, butch davis, Les miles, could name several more just in the last five years. Just retreads that teams think they can make it work there.

I said GOOD jobs. ;) Kansas, Rutgers, and UCONN don’t qualify.

Like I said, it’s not impossible for Campbell to recover from a failed USC stint but it’s not easy either.

Reactions: jctisu

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Speaking of premium, there is a screenshot of a premium board post from CW flying around Twitter but the Patreon subscribers have gotten nothing since Stanz said (redacted) around noon yesterday. I love supporting this site but I wish the Patreon subscribers were treated the same as the premium board ones.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I said GOOD jobs. ;) Kansas, Rutgers, and UCONN don’t qualify.

Like I said, it’s not impossible for Campbell to recover from a failed USC stint but it’s not easy either.
That’s how the coaches generally work. Like kiffin and freeze. While you are still pulling funds from your last school, hit a g5 type school and springboard that back to a P5 position.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I don’t think high school kids today are that impressed by the USC brand. They’ve been quite irrelevant for a while now. They were in Kindergarten when Reggie Bush was dazzling us.

They’ve finished in the top 7 of 247s recruiting classes 3 of the last 5 years despite not playing on a national scale, so I think they’re doing fine.