Campbell drops #AHF in Tweet

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Well the extra money comes from housing, the scholarship pays dorm rates so if you have a apt/house that is cheaper then you can pocket the extra money.

From some friends I fully knew where the extra came from, that's why so many Iowa football players lived at Pheasants Ridge (government housing). We got a flat rate lump sum, housing, etc wasn't factored at all. You did your best to make that single amount stretch as far as it could.

• Agree
Reactions: isufbcurt

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I think it would be really fun to invite Mr. Bell out to the research farms at ISU. Legitimately, someone from the University should call him out on twitter and invite him over. He could learn about:
  • setting an A-B line on a tractor GPS system, maybe even an adaptive curve line if he is as sharp as he thinks he is
  • Taking soil samples by grid and build zoned maps and prescriptions for variable rate applied seed and fertilizer
  • Learn about herbicide modes of action - which chemistries are best suited to battle the state's toughest weed - tall waterhemp?
  • how to properly set an automated air-flow and ventilation system in a hog barn for maximum creature comfort
  • how to take a short position in December corn futures on the Chicago Board of Trade to hedge his corn crop he is planting right now. Then, if the market allows, maybe roll those contracts forward to the March of July futures months to capture carry in the market. If he doesn't like using futures, he could always use an option strategy to put a floor under his crop price but leaving his upside potential open. Basis contracts and hedge-to-arrive contracts with elevators and ethanol plants are solid options as well

You know, just some stuff that you can pick up by following a "dumb farmer" around for a few days.
giphy.gif

• Funny
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
Well the extra money comes from housing, the scholarship pays dorm rates so if you have a apt/house that is cheaper then you can pocket the extra money.

Wait, you didn't live in section 8 housing, so you could pocket all your housing money? I mean seriously you left some cash on the table.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Yes, I can read. That doesn't mean he is not a petty idiot.

You calling him petty when you run to a website of a team that you don’t like because you are a worthless and insecure is pretty bad dude.

Why don’t you just go away and never come back. Get some self esteem and try to be a productive member of society for once in your life.

• Friendly
Reactions: rholtgraves

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Sure. But if my kid wanted to come home and farm, I would suggest majoring in Agronomy and minoring in Finance. And make sure to get into the Ag 450 farm. With potentially some AgE courses on the side. That would prepare him best for entering that field IMO.

I completely agree on the Ag 450, I wish I had access to something like that in school. Although my view is if the goal is farming in the future than finance or ag business has more value than agronomy alone, just my opinion based on currently farming and working in the industry. If you are entering the industry then agronomy absolutely should be the fore front with a business minor or ag business major, of course that is dependent on what segment of the industry you want to enter. I'm just basing my opinions on hiring people right now and in the past.

I've gotten to spend some time with Michael Swanson whom is one of the main ag economists for Wells Fargo after hearing him speak a couple years back. He has some very interesting stats and data on the least to most profitable farming operations they lend to. It's some very eye opening info. The number one take away from his data was that the average per bushel price spread from the least to most profitable operations was only 3 cents, as it was assumed the most profitable farmers are the best marketers. The common trend among the most profitable was meticulous attention to cost of production independent of yields which includes factoring management of debt and interest. Business and agronomy play a role in understanding profitable cost of production with minimum yield sacrifice. According to their data there is also little correlation to high yields or farm size to profitability. He will speak at certain events and if anyone ever gets a chance to listen to him he's well worth the time.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
My favorite part was where this dip**** says that "if you want to go to business school you go to the Wharton School".

Dude just said **** YOU to the University of Iowa Tippie College of Business.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Last edited:

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I completely agree on the Ag 450, I wish I had access to something like that in school. Although my view is if the goal is farming in the future than finance or ag business has more value than agronomy alone, just my opinion based on currently farming and working in the industry. If you are entering the industry then agronomy absolutely should be the fore front with a business minor or ag business major, of course that is dependent on what segment of the industry you want to enter. I'm just basing my opinions on hiring people right now and in the past.

I've gotten to spend some time with Michael Swanson whom is one of the main ag economists for Wells Fargo after hearing him speak a couple years back. He has some very interesting stats and data on the least to most profitable farming operations they lend to. It's some very eye opening info. The number one take away from his data was that the average per bushel price spread from the least to most profitable operations was only 3 cents, as it was assumed the most profitable farmers are the best marketers. The common trend among the most profitable was meticulous attention to cost of production independent of yields which includes factoring management of debt and interest. Business and agronomy play a role in understanding profitable cost of production with minimum yield sacrifice. According to their data there is also little correlation to high yields or farm size to profitability. He will speak at certain events and if anyone ever gets a chance to listen to him he's well worth the time.

I guess I’d be surprised if farm size didn’t play at least some part in profitability just due to economies of scale, but there’s probably a tipping point where that doesn’t matter.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Let’s not pretend that this doesn’t happen in agronomy and ag business at ISU. Some of the worst interns I’ve ever dealt with were agronomy majors at ISU that didn’t care about anything due to a soft landing spot with dad.

To also assume only agronomy prepares you for farming is short sighted. Last I check I spend more time in finances than I do agronomic decisions. There is value in both agronomy and business.

One last edit. One of the most stable farming operations I know told the younger generation they better major in finance if they want to come back to the farm.

I did a similar thing with law school. A good buddy of mine in law school was doing the same thing. We both practiced a couple of years before coming back to the farm full time. We also both have degrees from ISU.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
I guess I’d be surprised if farm size didn’t play at least some part in profitability just due to economies of scale, but there’s probably a tipping point where that doesn’t matter.

Not surprised at all and agree economy of scale has a point where it stops. The most profitable tended to have more owned vs rented land. There was more correlation to percent owned and land costs than size. Profitability was based on return on investment per year not total revenue or profit. Most super large farmers I’ve dealt with are stretched thin financially and live on super tight per acre margins.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I'm just waiting for all of the iowa fans who care so much about farmers to start making donations to the ISU scholarship fund so that we can provide more potential farmers with the education that they need to be more productive. I mean, if they actually believe that ANF is about helping farmers and not just a marketing ploy it would seem like the natural progression after they have bought their T-shirt and slapped their bumper sticker on.

Bump for hawxrock. Here you go loser. Put your money where your mouth is.

Seriously, is there a more pathetic group than Internet hawk fans? The insecurity is just off the charts

• Friendly
Reactions: rholtgraves

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I also thought this was satire or exaggerated or misconstrued. Wow.

I can think of dozens of farmers I know with ISU degrees. The recruiter is probably right on one thing, there's not a farmer with an Ag degree from Iowa. :rolleyes:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
From what I can tell from the "Farmland" thread, you pretty much need a degree in finance and government relations to be a farmer today. I used to think that it was just about raising plants and animals. Now, I see how much of it is about leveraging assets and managing risk.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
The guy is from Mississippi. He clearly didn't know how stupid it is what he said. Or if he did... Christ.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
From what I can tell from the "Farmland" thread, you pretty much need a degree in finance and government relations to be a farmer today. I used to think that it was just about raising plants and animals. Now, I see how much of it is about leveraging assets and managing risk.

They didn't include any analytics with my kids Little People Farm. He's going to be so disappointed if he ends up being a farmer.

DWC31_01

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
I just hope the Iowa Farm Bureau is paying attention. They really push the ANF thing hard.