Campbell drops #AHF in Tweet

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Someone needs to turn on the light to send the Hawkeye cockroaches scurrying away.

giphy.gif

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
What in the h*ll is Schlitz? Must be an Iowa thing!
They used to serve Schlitz at Yankee games in the 70's. A giant soggy paper cup of lukewarm beer, but they never checked ids so I could run up buy one and chug it before getting back to my seat.

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
My kids would go Nuts if a bus full of Cyclones pulled up and got off and wanted to hang out and learn about what we do for a living. I credit Aaron for the Ag Olympics, I'd have the guys baling hay and introduce them to the Rural America 115 degree weight room some of us all grew up in.

Regardless, you often hear about coaches cutting practice short to go bowling,to the movies, or sign autographs at a children's hospital (all of which are good things to do as well), but to expose them to a profession many of their fan base does daily is simply awesome. Well done CMC. Not only did you stir up the U of I, but I commend you on doing this for your athletes. Thank You.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
My kids would go Nuts if a bus full of Cyclones pulled up and got off and wanted to hang out and learn about what we do for a living. I credit Aaron for the Ag Olympics, I'd have the guys baling hay and introduce them to the Rural America 115 degree weight room some of us all grew up in.

Regardless, you often hear about coaches cutting practice short to go bowling,to the movies, or sign autographs at a children's hospital (all of which are good things to do as well), but to expose them to a profession many of their fan base does daily is simply awesome. Well done CMC. Not only did you stir up the U of I, but I commend you on doing this for your athletes. Thank You.
CMC introduced Victory Day last August. I think that is going to be a yearly tradition.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
What in the h*ll is Schlitz? Must be an Iowa thing!

Schlitz was the #1 beer in America for roughly 50 years, before and after prohibition.

It kind of fell off in the 60s to Budweiser. I believe they changed the recipe then and it became very unpopular and they had a bunch of marketing and production problems. It basically died in the early 80s. Pabst bought what was left and didn't do anything with it.

Someone re-discovered the original recipe and they started brewing it again maybe 2010ish. I bought a 6-pack for tailgating as a joke, but you know what? It was excellent. Reminded me of Sam Adams, very good beer. Highly recommended.

themoreyouknow.gif

• Agree
Reactions: NATEizKING and Doc

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Schlitz was the #1 beer in America for roughly 50 years, before and after prohibition.

It kind of fell off in the 60s to Budweiser. I believe they changed the recipe then and it became very unpopular and they had a bunch of marketing and production problems. It basically died in the early 80s. Pabst bought what was left and didn't do anything with it.

Someone re-discovered the original recipe and they started brewing it again maybe 2010ish. I bought a 6-pack for tailgating as a joke, but you know what? It was excellent. Reminded me of Sam Adams, very good beer. Highly recommended.

themoreyouknow.gif

Yeah, I agree on Schlitz. It's pretty good.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Came in to this thread for some of that famous "hoks are too cool and nationally relevant and historic to care about ISU" and I was not disappointed.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops

ExCyment

Jan 8, 2013
Crescent, IA
Oh the irony, Iowa proclaiming ANF in the 80s all the while churning out bankruptcy lawyers to help foreclose on their farms.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
Oh the irony, Iowa proclaiming ANF in the 80s all the while churning out bankruptcy lawyers to help foreclose on their farms.
You know there were lawyers on the farmer's side too, right? Not all represented creditors.

Like this guy, for one example...

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/name/orville-bloethe-obituary?pid=1000000182987401&view=guestbook

"During the Farm Credit Crisis when many family farms had to be sold to pay estate taxes, Orville and a handful of others helped develop the idea of "special use valuation"– valuing farm land at production value instead of fair market value. He testified before Congress, which adopted "special use valuation." This legislation saved countless family farms from being lost to pay estate taxes and continues to shelter these family farms today. Nothing gave him greater pleasure than "saving the family farm." He "rode circuit," lecturing lawyers, accountants and farmers about 2032A (the IRS section for special use valuation) for years."

Last edited: