Camp Preview: The offense (w/ quotes from Messingham)

Skidoosh

May 27, 2012
I disagree with people saying "yeah he beat Kansas but its kansas"

People need to understand what was at stake that game. It was their senior night. It was a home game, after they nearly beat us at the Jack the year before. We were realistically their best shot at a conference win in god knows how long. I can guarantee you Weis was harping that fact to them all week.

Yeah it was Kansas, but they and a LOT riding on that game. I had that game circled for a loss the entire season.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
posted this link in the Pistol vs Triple Option thread.

multiple formations, with multiple RBs at times is possible

Pistol-Offense-Attacking-Each-Side.jpg

Pistol-Formation-Double-Split-0T3B.jpg

Pistol-Formation-Pro-2T2B.jpg

12-Personnel-Split-Left-Pro-Right-Queen-Left.jpg

and of course with each formation, the X and Y can be split out or go 2 TE

They've run the "double split" or what they called the Diamond before. I think it could be pretty effective. With Coach K on board I am hoping the Pistol really blows up.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I disagree with people saying "yeah he beat Kansas but its kansas"

People need to understand what was at stake that game. It was their senior night. It was a home game, after they nearly beat us at the Jack the year before. We were realistically their best shot at a conference win in god knows how long. I can guarantee you Weis was harping that fact to them all week.

Yeah it was Kansas, but they and a LOT riding on that game. I had that game circled for a loss the entire season.

He came right in and took it to KU. They might not have been great, but they had been playing better toward the end of the season and he made them look bad.

P.S. It was hilarious to listen to the TV announcers go through 3 QB names before they figured out who was actually playing for us.

westlbcyclone

Jun 28, 2010
North Liberty
posted this link in the Pistol vs Triple Option thread.

multiple formations, with multiple RBs at times is possible

Pistol-Offense-Attacking-Each-Side.jpg

Pistol-Formation-Double-Split-0T3B.jpg

Pistol-Formation-Pro-2T2B.jpg

12-Personnel-Split-Left-Pro-Right-Queen-Left.jpg

and of course with each formation, the X and Y can be split out or go 2 TE

I also remember there being something like the second formation (I think it was dubbed the Diamond) a couple of times last year. Something like that could be exceptionally hard to prepare for.

EDIT: Damn you hiphopp.

Last edited:

CykoAGR

Dec 16, 2008
Waukee, IA
I look at that Kansas game like this:

Sammy looked like he was unstoppable. He completed 85% of his passes, 250 yds, four touchdowns and 0 ints. Thats a 211.8 Rating.

I know that it was against Kansas, yes they were not a very good team. Still when was the last time and ISU QB put up those kind of numbers?

I mean we have played some terrible teams in the past 10 yrs and Im guessing you would have to go all the way back to some guy named Wallace to see any numbers remotely close to that. Tell me we havent played another team as bad as KU in those 10 yrs.

I think if you expect a KU type performance every game you are setting yourself up for dissapointment. However it is not crazy (at least in my mind) to think that Sammy could be the most accurate and maybe even the best QB before it is all said and done since SW.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
It seems that we call running plays sometimes without paying attention to who is in the backfield. For instance, the times when Woody takes a misdirection step right in the endzone before trying to go left for a gain. That play might have worked with White or Johnson, but didn't seem like a good call for Woody. I would like to see us make those calls all the time with a clear sense of who is in the game at RB.

CycloneGB

Jul 20, 2010

Sammy looked like he was unstoppable. He completed 85% of his passes, 250 yds, four touchdowns and 0 ints. Thats a 211.8 Rating.

I know that it was against Kansas, yes they were not a very good team. Still when was the last time and ISU QB put up those kind of numbers?

I mean we have played some terrible teams in the past 10 yrs and Im guessing you would have to go all the way back to some guy named Wallace to see any numbers remotely close to that. Tell me we havent played another team as bad as KU in those 10 yrs.

I think if you expect a KU type performance every game you are setting yourself up for dissapointment. However it is not crazy (at least in my mind) to think that Sammy could be the most accurate and maybe even the best QB before it is all said and done since SW.

This is the exact point of view I have on the QB situation. BUT...

The only thing I get nervous about is when you look back at Jantz's performance vs. Iowa in 2011. It is pretty similar to what SR did to Kansas except it was a better team.

I do think that SR is a lot more under control than Jantz was and he sounds like he has a better grip on the offense and command of the huddle. But it still makes me just a little nervous that for one game we saw what Jantz COULD be.. but never saw much of that ever again.

There's just that little voice in the back of my head saying we've seen this movie before.. (I need to tell it to shut up)

CykoAGR

Dec 16, 2008
Waukee, IA

The only thing I get nervous about is when you look back at Jantz's performance vs. Iowa in 2011. It is pretty similar to what SR did to Kansas except it was a better team.

I do think that SR is a lot more under control than Jantz was and he sounds like he has a better grip on the offense and command of the huddle. But it still makes me just a little nervous that for one game we saw what Jantz COULD be.. but never saw much of that ever again.

There's just that little voice in the back of my head saying we've seen this movie before.. (I need to tell it to shut up)

Totally logical. I think we all have this feeling. I mean we are Cyclones so we are all waiting for the proverbial kick in the stones

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006

I'd say that Sam may not have the ceiling that Jantz flashed (which at times was very high) but Sam's floor is MUCH MUCH higher than SJ. Jantz had an incredible ability to turn the ball over at unbelievable critical times. I don' think Sam is TO prone like Steele.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011

No football preview thread is complete without a Seneca comparison

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
I'd say that Sam may not have the ceiling that Jantz flashed (which at times was very high) but Sam's floor is MUCH MUCH higher than SJ. Jantz had an incredible ability to turn the ball over at unbelievable critical times. I don' think Sam is TO prone like Steele.

Exactly... plus, SR doesn't need to be flashy because he's not turning the ball over like a pez dispenser. People forget that SJ's heroics were needed because he put us in a hole in the first place.

If SR doesn't dig holes he won't need to be flashy. He just needs to be solid for us to have success.

Wally86

Oct 23, 2008
Central Iowa
Keep in mind Sturdy was a hell of an OC at Wazzou, too. Having 3 OC's on your staff has to be good for ideas and adjustments.
If they work together. If they don't it could be like three bulls in the pasture when there is only room for one. All In favor of working together say Aye and drink the coolaid.

Wally86

Oct 23, 2008
Central Iowa
It seems that we call running plays sometimes without paying attention to who is in the backfield. For instance, the times when Woody takes a misdirection step right in the endzone before trying to go left for a gain. That play might have worked with White or Johnson, but didn't seem like a good call for Woody. I would like to see us make those calls all the time with a clear sense of who is in the game at RB.
That play made my head explode. It was the epitome of an OC outsmarting himself. If the players are going to be successfull the OC has to let them play to thier strengths.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron