Cam Newton comments

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
It just sounds odd to my ear to hear a woman called "female"

Seems almost how I describe my new dog

This reminded me of a person I had forgotten. When I was Director of Engineering for a company outside Richmond, VA we had a factory worker who's name was Female Brown. Female was pronounced Fuh-mall-ee. I had to do a double-take every time I saw her name on any list as... Brown, Female. She was hysterical and a really nice lady. But having grown up in white-ruralburbia Iowa it was a shock.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Where did I say you were defending him? Projecting?

I asked why her old tweets mattered in the slightest. She has to have a perfect background to be mad at being treated like a joke? The logic escapes me.

You or your fan club are free to answer.

Fan club? I'm not getting your hostility towards me.

They are two separate events and I am treating them as such. If you continue to think I'm tying them together, we are at an impasse.

One event - Cam saying the sexist comment:
Cam is an idiot. I've never been a fan. He is probably used to saying some sexist ********, flashing a smile and getting away with it. He tried it this time and it failed horribly. I'm glad. What he said was stupid and demeaning. I'm glad a big deal is being made of it. The reporter has a right to do her job without putting up with crap like that. End of this story.

The other event - the reporter's past tweets:
The same reporter that took to Twitter to express her displeasure is having old racist tweets resurrected.

She called attention to herself on social media. Unfortunately for her, that same social media revealed that she said racist crap once. She doesn't have to have a perfect background, but she should be aware that people aren't going to just give her a pass for racism either. The part I find funny is that she is getting called out for past racism. I like seeing racists uncomfortable.

Reactions: crawfy54

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
I just find it funny that she was so offended by his comments and has done similar in the past. Both are wrong - it’s just funny when something like that comes full circle. She didn’t think twice about posting that on twitter but then gets offended when something is directed st her and offends her.

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
Last I checked, football wasn't rocket science.
So if Cam has a female doctor and he asks a question, I hope they smirk/laugh and say, it's always funny to see a football player talk about medicine.
No offense to the many FB players who are really smart.

Reactions: DurangoCy

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Fan club? I'm not getting your hostility towards me.

They are two separate events and I am treating them as such. If you continue to think I'm tying them together, we are at an impasse.

One event - Cam saying the sexist comment:
Cam is an idiot. I've never been a fan. He is probably used to saying some sexist ********, flashing a smile and getting away with it. He tried it this time and it failed horribly. I'm glad. What he said was stupid and demeaning. I'm glad a big deal is being made of it. The reporter has a right to do her job without putting up with crap like that. End of this story.

The other event - the reporter's past tweets:
The same reporter that took to Twitter to express her displeasure is having old racist tweets resurrected.

She called attention to herself on social media. Unfortunately for her, that same social media revealed that she said racist crap once. She doesn't have to have a perfect background, but she should be aware that people aren't going to just give her a pass for racism either. The part I find funny is that she is getting called out for past racism. I like seeing racists uncomfortable.

Hostility? Aren't we delicate. That was more directed to the person who thought you couldn't speak for yourself than you, but whatever.

The attention obviously came from the press conference, not her tweet, so that throws out the irony angle. I still fail to see the logic of how they're connected here. However you get your jollies I guess, just a very odd pattern you see constantly in the media in these situations.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
Hostility? Aren't we delicate. That was more directed to the person who thought you couldn't speak for yourself than you, but whatever.

The attention obviously came from the press conference, not her tweet, so that throws out the irony angle. I still fail to see the logic of how they're connected here. However you get your jollies I guess, just a very odd pattern you see constantly in the media in these situations.

Racist Reporter calls out Sexist Athlete on twitter and then get's destroyed by internet in the process, this is the definition of irony.

You remind me of a guy I know.

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
Less? That's all that was talked about on sports talk radio this morning. I think its getting the same attention that Kapernik got when he bent the knee. It's become a big deal now because players all over the league are doing it, not just one player.
This has no where near the coverage as Kap.

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
Wait the word Female is offensive now? OMG I am running out of things to call everyone

Lots of things are offensive depending on the person saying it. If Trump says "Female" I guarantee you its sexist and demeaning.

Id stick to Her, Person, She, Them, I, Someone I know... Its really quite simple.

That being said with my sweet smile I can say anything with no offense. Chick, Female, etc... Im just cool I guess.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Only one way to solve this is to make a reality show out of it. The reporter and Cam face off and see who can make the best racist/sexist remarks to each other. Each remark is judged by a panel of athletes, B actors and other celebs. In the end the winner is picked by the viewing public like dancing with the stars. We'll call it Are You Offended? Hello, ESPN, come talk to me.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Only one way to solve this is to make a reality show out of it. The reporter and Cam face off and see who can make the best racist/sexist remarks to each other. Each remark is judged by a panel of athletes, B actors and other celebs. In the end the winner is picked by the viewing public like dancing with the stars. We'll call it Are You Offended? Hello, ESPN, come talk to me.

Jeff Ross would likely be interested, and probably available.

Reactions: bosco

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Exactly what's happening now. He's losing endorsements for making a sexist comment. That's fair. For someone who's been in the spotlight for close to a decade now, he should know better how much weight his words carry and how he'll be scrutinized. He screwed up, said something dumb, and his refusal to acknowledge it or apologize is costing him a little bit of cash and maybe future earning opportunities.
Agree. However, I would almost think less of him if he apologizes, since it would not be sincere at all. If he just keeps quiet about it, at least he's being honest. I'm sick of fake apologies for PR purposes only. Very rarely is there any actual sincerity behind them. That's why I don't care if he gives an apology or not.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Wait the word Female is offensive now? OMG I am running out of things to call everyone

I wouldn't say it is offensive per se, but it is differently used in a derogatory way by some. It's hard to explain unless you hear the way members of the younger generation use the word.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
If he's smart he'll come out right now and say he meant it as a compliment and finds it very attractive and disarming that she was so well versed in the vernacular and he simply worded it poorly as he was "taken in the moment".

That, uh, wouldn't make it any better. It would just be doubling down.