Cam Lard Article

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I'm sure there is a relevant thread I could have replied to for this but couldn't find a recent one. Pretty good read: https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...n-lard-thankful-coach-steve-prohm/3224054002/

A good reminder that not everything is as bad behind the scenes as gets rumored or look like on the surface. Sounds like Lard and Prohm have a good relationship and Cam himself sounds grateful that Coach hasn't kicked him off the team after all he's done. I really hope this story has a happy ending some day. Sometimes we forget there is more to these players that what goes on during a game and on the basketball court and preparing them for life after basketball and becoming a better person is just as important too.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I have no idea what kind of guidance Cam had as a kid but we all know people look the other way a lot when a kid is athletically talented.
I give coach a lot of credit with sticking with him and I give Cam a lot of credit in realizing coach has his best interests at heart and sticking with him. It's not all about basketball.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
This is a big part of what I like about CSP - he's devoted to winning basketball games, sure, but he's equally interested in making his guys better people.

Many coaches probably look at their players as assets, or stepping stones. I think CSP looks at his players as his responsibility, to not only teach them how to play better, but how to win - in all sorts of ways.

Maybe if we all stay behind Cameron Lard, it will come to fruition. I think we all know what he could be if he applies himself.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
I mean, Cam even said he is surprised to still be on the team. People can only handle so much.

Prohm reminds me of the old teachers that took kids, that acted out, under their wing and help try to straighten them out.
when some of the people wanting him off the team are big Prohm defenders, that's where I have a problem.

If somebody likes the coach that much, then why not defend the coach that thinks he should still be on the team?

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78 and GTO

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
when some of the people wanting him off the team are big Prohm defenders, that's where I have a problem.

If somebody likes the coach that much, then why not defend the coach that thinks he should still be on the team?

How many chances does a guy get?

The guy walked out on his teammates the dat before they left for Austin because he didn’t want to run.

I am all for Cam Lard to be successful. But there has to come a moment when he figures **** out. I know that you guys want to project arguments on to a people, but he’s used up all his good will.

Prohm wants him on the team, ok. He’s certainly gone above and beyond trying to help him. Doesn’t mean he necessarily deserve it at this point.

• Agree
Reactions: Lineup

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
You can knock his ability with the x's and O's compared to some of the elite coaches (although it's overblown IMO), but for Prohm but this is where he excels, leading young men. Proud to have him here.
True or not, I’m all for selling that to recruits.
What are we basing that on? It hasn’t shown up on the court the past two years. I guess if you’re equating Lard continually needing another chance to excellent leadership, sure.

• Dislike
Reactions: SerenityNow

volclone

Apr 11, 2006
Not really sure how I feel about the article. On one hand, I'm glad Cam got the help he needed. Certainly CSP played a role in that happening and feels strongly about his obligation to Cam. But meanwhile Cam has been and continues to be a distraction for this team. When does CSP obligation to the team kick-in?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron