Cam Lard and Zoran Talley are suspended until December

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
Wow, the backlash at Prohm in this thread is excessive. Lard and Talley were the ones that made the bad decisions, but now this is Prohm's fault being too harsh with his punishments? I'm gonna trust coach on this one, and have faith that this will pay off in the long run for the rest of the non-con and Big XII play.

With as dirty as CBB is these days, this approach to me is refreshing. Shows that no player is bigger than the program, and I appreciate that as an ISU alum.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Prohm wants to win more than anyone involved in the program. He's not "devaluing" anything

I know he wants to win. But he is willing to lose games in November to teach his players a lesson. I'm just saying that is a terrific mind set at a mid-major but if you finish 9-9 in the Big 12 they will need a win against Mizzou and someone out in Maui. Still like this squad and the depth. Just wish this would have been announced last week rather than after the first game of the season.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Saying you would rather have the coach tell you why a player is suspended because you financially support the program instead of having him protect his players is dumb. Sorry but it is

Sorry, it's not. Like it or not, he owes the fans at least a bit of an explanation as to why he's keeping a couple of guys on the team but thinks they should be suspended for a quarter of the season.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
And people can finally see one the main reasons Fred actually disliked coaching in college. Yay he didn’t like recruiting but this type of thing was just as big as a factor for him.

Source: My grandma (seriously).

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I know he wants to win. But he is willing to lose games in November to teach his players a lesson. I'm just saying that is a terrific mind set at a mid-major but if you finish 9-9 in the Big 12 they will need a win against Mizzou and someone out in Maui. Still like this squad and the depth. Just wish this would have been announced last week rather than after the first game of the season.

Why does it matter when it was announced? Just curious

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
Prohm wants to win more than anyone involved in the program. He's not "devaluing" anything
He clearly is. He just gave away the month of November. Likely longer, considering how long it will take the team to gel now. These “life lessons” are ridiculous. No other major programs do this. If Talley and Lard did something to deserve to miss 25% of the season, we would have read about it in the papers.

This is embarrassing.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Wow, the backlash at Prohm in this thread is excessive. Lard and Talley were the ones that made the bad decisions, but now this is Prohm's fault being too harsh with his punishments? I'm gonna trust coach on this one, and have faith that this will pay off in the long run for the rest of the non-con and Big XII play.

With as dirty as CBB is these days, this approach to me is refreshing. Shows that no player is bigger than the program, and I appreciate that as an ISU alum.

How do we know they made bad decisions? What kind of bad decisions were made? He hasn't said anything about why they're suspended.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Dealing with 18-22 year old basketball players isn’t easy, but Prohm’s job is to get his best players to play, and play well.

Bingo. Hoiberg didnt seem to have a problem getting the absolute best out of Jameel. McKay didnt help his situation whatsoever, but at this point where these suspensions are starting to become a regular occurrence under Prohm, it's more than fair to start asking questions about his handling of player discipline. Despite what the "Prohm is god" contingent in here will tell you.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011

Right we have a dozen other players who live up to expectations and get the privilege to play

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
One factor in this is the amount of money fans spend to go watch games. Think also about the fans who have spent a ton of money on going to Maui. The trip itself would be good enough for me if I was going, but I'd also be a bit annoyed that we're being handicapped by what seems to be ridiculously long suspensions with absolutely no reason given.

College basketball is big business. Fans spend big money to watch their team and it isn't just about watching them on the court, they want to see winning basketball. I mean, we're talking about 2 guys who are expected to be huge contributors being suspended for about 25% of the season.
It's college sports. No matter how much money universities and the NCAA actually make, it's still amateurism. Players come and go, whether it's suspension, forced out, transfers, or graduation, there's new players every year. You spend the money to support the school.
I could maybe see fans being a little disappointed about spending money to go maui, Maui, and not seeing the team at 100%, but to have regrets is a bit off base.

And FWIW, the posters making the biggest stink about this, are far from the fans that are spending money on this university.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
He clearly is. He just gave away the month of November. Likely longer, considering how long it will take the team to gel now. These “life lessons” are ridiculous. No other major programs do this. If Talley and Lard did something to deserve to miss 25% of the season, we would have read about it in the papers.

This is embarrassing.

If they failed multiple drug tests it would be in the papers?

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Bingo. Hoiberg didnt seem to have a problem getting the absolute best out of Jameel. McKay didnt help his situation whatsoever, but at this point where these suspensions are starting to become a regular occurrence under Prohm, it's more than fair to start asking questions about his handling of player discipline. Despite what the "Prohm is god" contingent in here will tell you.

Were you mad at Fred for how he handled things with BDJ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron