Call-in Show - Recruiting

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Again, there is a difference between making excuses and commenting on what the strong of events that happend.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
What stood out in the call-in show for me was when Gmac said "Gilstrap is not here for an education."
I'm sure Prez Geoffrey is thrilled with that statement...

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
Amen. For all the excuses that people want to make for GMac's early years, here is the talent he had on the 07-08 team:

Jiri Hubalek
Rashon Clark
Wes Johnson
Craig Brackins

Now, who's fault is it that he didn't go out and get a JUCO point guard to run with these studs?

And now we are in Year 4 and people still think GMac isn't responsible, just unlucky.

in his defense-something i will not do very often, did he not have an nba caliber pg in mike taylor that was subsequently booted off the team?

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
Again with the 'all or nothing' crowd...nobody is saying Mac doesn't deserve some responsiblility for the program and for losing some of these players but you also can't lay 100% of the blame on him either. It's simply not that black and white. Do people really believe losing WJ was 100% Macs fault? That NO outside influences were in play? What about Lucca? Again, NO outside influences?

Bottom line is that you can be critical of Mac's tenure and still believe that the man has had some terrible luck.

Reactions: CycloneErik

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
Wow - this thread made me go to cyclones.com and listen to the show.

I thought the questions were very blunt, and GMac was very fair in his answers. The grief this guy gets on here for being upfront, honest, and quite friendly never ceases to amaze me.

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006

I thought the questions were very blunt, and GMac was very fair in his answers. The grief this guy gets on here for being upfront, honest, and quite friendly never ceases to amaze me.

Might be Mac's biggest problem...

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006

Link?...Do you need an account?

nickcyv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 29, 2009
Kg- do you really believe GMAC's biggest problem is that he is to upfront, honest, at quite friendly? I would put those 3 things at the bottom of my laundry list of problems with GMAC. I would start off the list with 1. Losing game after game.

I know you are "close" to the program but if that is what the program thinks is a big problem, than that says it all about our program.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
or its coaching in the Big 12...

To be more specific, second half adjustments.

We have an overall cushion for scoring the first half, but, even with cupcakes included, the second half scoring is even steven between the opponents and us. Something happened during the halftime and it is not very good for our scoreboard. I do not think it is turnovers, but it could be lower shooting percentage and maybe rebounding.

http://www.cyclones.com/fls/10700/STATS/MBB/2009-10_MBB/teamcume.htm?DB_OEM_ID=10700

SCORE BY PERIODS: 1st 2nd OT OT2 Total
------------------------------ ---- ---- ---- ---- ----
Iowa State.................... 825 865 8 13 - 1711

Opponents..................... 729 862 8 6 - 1605

And you cannot blame it on fouling out as we have only done that 3 times all season. Yes, that is right, once each for Brackins, Ham, and Colvin. That would suggest a non aggressive floor approach.

Last edited:

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
Kg- do you really believe GMAC's biggest problem is that he is to upfront, honest, at quite friendly? I would put those 3 things at the bottom of my laundry list of problems with GMAC. I would start off the list with 1. Losing game after game.

I know you are "close" to the program but if that is what the program thinks is a big problem, than that says it all about our program.

Some times it helps....See Gilstrap.

Many times it hurts...

nickcyv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 29, 2009
So you wouldn't say it is GMAC's biggest problem? I know you like to be secretive and all knowing but that statement was ridiculous and I want to know if you stand by it.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
To be more specific, second half adjustments.

We have an overall cushion for scoring the first half, but, even with cupcakes included, the second half scoring is even steven between the opponents and us. Something happened during the halftime and it is not very good for our scoreboard. I do not think it is turnovers, but it could be lower shooting percentage and maybe rebounding.

Iowa State - Season Statistics

SCORE BY PERIODS: 1st 2nd OT OT2 Total
------------------------------ ---- ---- ---- ---- ----
Iowa State.................... 825 865 8 13 - 1711

Opponents..................... 729 862 8 6 - 1605

Someone posted on CR the breakdown in scoring margin into 6 categories. First 5 minutes of game, next 10 minutes, last 5 of first half, first 5 of second half, next 10 minutes, last 5 minutes of the game. Let's just say the breakdown was not pretty

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
KG - you need an account to listen to the replay. Its under the clonezone audio section. This Wilma woman was so outrageous I thought it was a comedian at first.....

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
KG - you need an account to listen to the replay. Its under the clonezone audio section. This Wilma woman was so outrageous I thought it was a comedian at first.....

Maybe I need to get an account...You peaked my curiousity. Thanks...

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
So you wouldn't say it is GMAC's biggest problem? I know you like to be secretive and all knowing but that statement was ridiculous and I want to know if you stand by it.

I always stand by what I say...Or I wouldn't say it.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

I thought he got grief for never beating a ranked team and never getting a sniff of an NCAA birth. I could be wrong though.

hursts

Apr 10, 2006
Might be Mac's biggest problem...
I do like Mac's honesty. But, not once have I heard him say we need to coach better. As much as I know despise Chizik he would say after every loss that the blame falls on himself and that they needed to coach better.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron