Cael Sanderson (edit) - Why'd he leave?

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
"... Others think that since PSU just invested a ton into their wrestling program facilities and the money they offered Cael was just too much that ISU couldn't match at that time.

I trained with two wrestler's Cael recruited to ISU, and can tell you that this part of your assessment of why he left is accurate based on their knowledge of the situation. I don't know enough about Pollard to say if as an AD he doesn't care about wrestling and would expect that is not entirely true, but not caring enough to pour millions of $ into ISU's wrestling program is likely a part of why Coach Sanderson left as you stated...

Not caring enough is a pretty false way to describe it. Iowa State at the time couldn’t afford it. At least be factual before resurrecting a thread.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
The two are closely related.

Wrong. And where was the money gonna come from back then? Did the wrestling fans step up or just continue to complain and put the blame elsewhere? I swear some fans think our financial situation was great back then when it wasn’t. We weren’t flushed with the cash flow the AD currently possesses today, and no way in hell could Iowa State who back then probably was in the 60-70ish place of AD revenue could compete with what Penn state was throwing around to Cael.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I've always been a Pollard fan and the long game he payed eventually getting Dresser here confirms my faith. We're gonna challenge for a Natty...soon.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
cUeYkgo.gif

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
I wrestled against an eventual world champion, who the **** cares, Dresser is our coach now, get over it, better things ahead
I wrestled a pterodactyl once. Who cares if you lost to an eventual champion.[/QUOTE]
Exactly my point.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Thee Dan Gable to Iowa and the Cael Sanderson to Penn State carry the same thread.....ISU athletic department incompetence......Gable wanted to be the head coach at ISU and since our old man coach still wanted to coach the AD said no to Gable....

Well we see how that worked out.....for different reasons ditto Cael Sanderson......

syklone

Nov 28, 2017
I didn't look at the date of the first post I read on the thread nor would I have cared if I had before I posted. I don't know or care about all the intricacies of forum etiquette and would have posted what was on my mind anyway. Whats the statue of limitations on responding to posts - 10 months, more, less? I'll leave that to you forum socialites that got butt hurt the post wasn't up to your forum standards.

To those that thought I said Pollard didn't care you obviously were not educated at ISU because you are unable to understand what you have read. I said I don't know enough about Pollard to say and was doubtful that was the case.

Apologies for offending some members' sense of forum dignity. I took my son to a youth tourny the day I posted and got on the subject of ISU wrestling history, Gable, Sanderson, and other greats and this thread registered with me at the time.

To the person that said in so many words its time to move on, Dresser is our coach now, yada yada, amen to that brother! Iowa State is the birth place of scholastic wrestling and here is to it's return to wrestling greatness!

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
I am truly curious as to the dollar amount it would have taken to get Cael back in Ames. Everyone has a price...
Clearly it was more than anything we were willing to pony up.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Clearly it was more than anything we were willing to pony up.

I remember Cael making reference to the huge recruiting advantage that he would have in that geographic location.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
I remember Cael making reference to the huge recruiting advantage that he would have in that geographic location.

Obviously that was a big deal for him then, but now that he has used that advantage to make himself THE name among collegiate coaches and has delivered results, I don't think his location would make much of a difference. His base is regional but he recruits nationally and he'll get who he wants for the most part. I'm sure the guys he gets love the facilities out there, and that's a perk, but they're going there more so for Cael than PSU. The B1G network and the fact that he can sell tv exposure to recruits is probably about as big a deal as anything.

Of course the rumor was that he was close to having the Alton twins commit to ISU just before he left so it's not like he wasn't getting anybody to come to Ames. There are just so many what ifs in this whole ordeal...what if we win the title with the Paulson twins, Backes, etc instead of barely losing to Minnesota? What if Iowa's super combined team doesn't come along when they did and Cael gets more traction recruiting in state? Do either/both of those things take enough pressure off Cael that he decides to build here instead of out east?

I agree that we're lucky to have Dresser and that he's the man we need to turn this thing around, but that doesn't make it any easier to accept what we missed out on.

• Agree
Reactions: Cycsk

Help Support Us

Become a patron