Cael is gone. Channel 13 confirms.

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

d30fan

Jul 6, 2007
Wow, what a bummer! If I heard correctly, Cael is getting over twice what we were paying him. About a 150K raise. I suspect many of you would join HN if somebody offered you 150K year to do it. I doubt if there is money in our athletic budget to match that. On another subject, could "Chad" and "Sunset" please take their brawl out into the alley?!!!
Where did we hear Cael is taking wrestlers with him:?

CaptainCamoBeer

Jan 24, 2007
You thought Cael was going to "take off" so he could "further his career"? How can you get much higher than one of the elite schools for wrestling?
You are right we are one of the elite schools for wrestling, but that doesn't mean you cannot further your career at a lesser school. Penn State, with the backing of the school, Alums, facilities, and high school wrestling talent, etc. provides him the ability to create longevity in his coaching career. Maybe 'further his career' was too much for you. Again, I am just not willing to destroy a man's character who has (unlike Chizik) done great things for ISU wrestling.

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
In the channel 13 report:

http://www.whotv.com/news/who-story-sanderson-041709,0,7051346.story

"They (ISU) say Sanderson will try to take some of his Iowa State wrestlers with him to Penn State.

I can kind of understand, but that part is over the line. IF it is so easy to win a NC in Pennsylvania, then you don't need to backstab ISU. You got those recruits while being paid by ISU. They are "services rendered" (sorry, but didn't know a better way to put it) and should stay at ISU.

Is there a buyout clause in Cael's contract? Can ISU limit where wrestlers can go like they did for Weasley J?

Last edited:

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
You are right we are one of the elite schools for wrestling, but that doesn't mean you cannot further your career at a lesser school. Penn State, with the backing of the school, Alums, facilities, and high school wrestling talent, etc. provides him the ability to create longevity in his coaching career. Maybe 'further his career' was too much for you. Again, I am just not willing to destroy a man's character who has (unlike Chizik) done great things for ISU wrestling.
I never said or implied anything about destroying anybody's character. I am just starting to think that there is something foul around the Jacobsen.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I'm more worried about the "We didn't have time to make a counter offer" thing than if they talked with Cael. I'm calling BS on that. If all those guys had time to talk with Cael, they had time to put an offer on the table.
If he told them there was nothing they could do to keep him here, no counter offer matters.
You thought Cael was going to "take off" so he could "further his career"? How can you get much higher than one of the elite schools for wrestling?

Right on the money.

CaptainCamoBeer

Jan 24, 2007
I'm more worried about the "We didn't have time to make a counter offer" thing than if they talked with Cael. I'm calling BS on that. If all those guys had time to talk with Cael, they had time to put an offer on the table.
That is exactly what I was thinking.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
We need to stick it to Penn St.....We should fire Rhoads and go take their football coach :jimlad:
That will teach them....

Our luck.. Joe Pa would die while signing just a second after signing the contract. Leaving us to pay him..:skeptical:

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
If he told them there was nothing they could do to keep him here, no counter offer matters.

Right on the money.
Of course it matters! Not even attempting a counter offer shows that either a) you don't care that he leaves, b) you feel that you're set as it is and think he's bluffing, or c) you're not willing to look at something to re-hook the hire.

NIowaClone

Sep 1, 2006
Dallas, Texas
:wideeyed: I just found out. I am absolutely baffled. How could THIS have happened. Having to pick from any of our coaches, I didn't expect Cael to up and leave. Another great hire gone in a few years. Ouch.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
Sell out!! Way to screw your alma mater bye getting some more bucks!!! Do not let the door hit you on the way out. Sorry for being so rude, but what the hell? ISU is a national contender every year dude!! Jamie what the hell happened???

tellmac

May 10, 2006
This looks to be a rare case where it is really not about the money. He is heading to Penn state because he feels he can have more long term success there.

He plans on trying to take all his wrestlers with him.

If he wants to go-GO, but don't screw with our wrestlers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Feb 11, 2009
iowa
Sell out!! Way to screw your alma mater bye getting some more bucks!!! Do not let the door hit you on the way out. Sorry for being so rude, but what the hell? ISU is a national contender every year dude!! Jamie what the hell happened???
YA WHY THE "Crap" would you leave one of the best wreslting teams ever.. Leave your College where you went UNDEAFEATED in 4 years... Go to penn state who most of the people prob don't evan no what wreslting even is... and go lose to IOWA you bigggest rival MORE than one time a year...

fccy

Dec 31, 2008
Forest City
In the channel 13 report:

Sanderson Accepts Penn State Offer - WHO

"They (ISU) say Sanderson will try to take some of his Iowa State wrestlers with him to Penn State.

I can kind of understand, but that part is over the line. IF it is so easy to win a NC in Pennsylvania, then you don't need to backstab ISU. You got those recruits while being paid by ISU. They are "services rendered" (sorry, but didn't know a better way to put it) and should stay at ISU.

Is there a buyout clause in Cael's contract? Can ISU limit where wrestlers can go like they did for Weasley J?

Buyout clause - don't know, but probably would not be a problem if he is doubling his salary.

Limit LOI releases - yes, that is always possible, in theory. The question is, given the fact that some (or many ?) wrestlers do not have a full ride, does it really matter? I think there is some rule about people transferring and paying own way, but do not know what is it.