Cael is gone. Channel 13 confirms.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Honestly... he hasn't proven himself at all as a coach. This could be a good thing when this all blows over.

lol, no offense, but we should just make a "X" coach leaving thread template. After reading this, it's just like Chizik all over again.

I'm surprised how quickly we've come to this being a good thing. I'm sorry, Letting a wrestling legend like this go will never be a good thing for ISU.

Wingback

Dec 26, 2008
Why is it so easy to say, "he's leaving because he thinks he can't have long term success at Iowa State?" Or, "he's leaving because he's afraid of Brands?"

Does anybody really know what went through his thought process?

What if it turns out Penn State ponied up $300,000 per year, or $400,000, or even the $500,000 that has been bandied about? Or what if he simply got tired of working for an arrogant AD?

We really have no idea at this point why he decided to leave?

clones26

Nov 8, 2006
Urbandale
Any truth to the rumor coach Fennelly is leaving to become an assistant coach at UCONN. :jimlad:

This is a step down as PSU wasnt even in the top 25 at the end of the year, there are only 85 D1 programs! I hope Iowa thumps him every year...I cant believe I said that.

GoCubsGo

Jul 22, 2008
At this point we are only getting one side of the story, i.e. Pollard's BS "statement."

TedFlintKansas

Mar 5, 2009
thetailgatesociety.com
What a piece of ****, I don't blame Jamie at all, Cael sold us out plan and simple, I hope he fails, Call me a poor sport but we gave him everything he needed for a decade and change and what does he do, says **** off and leaves, what a chicken ****

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
At this point we are only getting one side of the story, i.e. Pollard's BS "statement."
I'm not thinking he'd mention other people at the university if it was straight BS. Why make something up when it'd be easy for Fennelly, McDermott, or Geoffrey to say, "No you didn't."

cmhawks99

Nov 15, 2008
Bourbonnais, Il

I am honestly dumbfounded by this myself. It is hard to fathom how it happens, but I honestly don't see any real fault to be had either. I'm no ISU apologist but seriously none of us no what Cael was looking at and money is money. It doesn’t even have to be the fault of JP.

Seriously some guys go to one school and become a legend at another coaching. Some guys want to go home for less money, some want to get away for less. Some want to chase dormant programs some want a name. Some want big bucks and some just want to do their own thing. None of us really know what trips a trigger.

It really does suck and I genuinely do apologize for your misfortune. You have had plenty for sure

Chad

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What BS about? Big name coaches within their sport, have big
ego's, that is part of what drives them. Cael sees a university that has an athletic department flush with cash.
That freaking conference has their own network for goodness sake.

You can't go hunting elephants with a pea shooter, and that is where Iowa State is at right now.

The Big 12 is a screwed up conference where 4 schools control everything and refuse to provide any decent for of revenue sharing.

cycopath25

Sep 8, 2006
(307)
I fell like this . . .

1744-ball-kick.jpg

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
Do you want Cael to take his recruits/wrestlers?

No! Based on your avatar, you appear to be a hawk fan. hawk fan's were very happy when brand's came and thought it was just fine that he brought all of his Va Tech recruits with him. Jon Miller and I argued about this quite a bit.

Now that Cael wants to take his recruits with him you say that you hope they are here for ISU and not Cael which is in direct conflict with the issue noted above.

GoCubsGo

Jul 22, 2008
I'm sure that he did have McDermott and Fennelly reach out to Cael, but doesn't that raise the question of why that would be necessary??? Can we really expect that talking to basketball coaches would lead Cael to decide to stay? Also, why is it the responsibility of the basketball coaches to convince another coach to stay, isn't that the responsibility of the AD?

I think Pollard had those guys speak to Cael just so Pollard could say that he tried to do everything he could to get Cael to stay. The real issue, though, is Pollard's relationship (or lack thereof) with Cael.

warsend

Mar 22, 2009
Iowa
This looks to be a rare case where it is really not about the money. He is heading to Penn state because he feels he can have more long term success there.

He plans on trying to take all his wrestlers with him.

Cael=D-bag...There's NO way he will win at Penn State longer term then at Iowa State.

Your telling me that THe Big 10 is WEAKER then the Big 12...give a break.

We should bring back Bobby Douglas, at least he was committed. Cael can go get his *** kicked by Iowa and Minnesota for all I care.

GO HAWKEYES AND GOPHERS ( Ya I know this will be in someones sig):wideeyed:

Penn State at best will be 3rd place so have fun being Iowa's *******.

That's all :chatterbox:

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
I'm sure that he did have McDermott and Fennelly reach out to Cael, but doesn't that raise the question of why that would be necessary??? Can we really expect that talking to basketball coaches would lead Cael to decide to stay? Also, why is it the responsibility of the basketball coaches to convince another coach to stay, isn't that the responsibility of the AD?

I think Pollard had those guys speak to Cael just so Pollard could say that he tried to do everything he could to get Cael to stay. The real issue, though, is Pollard's relationship (or lack thereof) with Cael.

I cannot stand my boss...but have worked with him for 6 years...

Cael is weak.

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
from what Im hearing, three starters are going with Cael.

Who are the underclassmen that can afford to lose a year? Reader?

Coach stabs the university and all it's fans/alums in the back and you want to follow him? I'd say good riddence to any wrestlers that leave as well. Cut out all the cancer and start over. If you don't want to be at ISU, I don't want you at ISU either. ISU did everything right in this case, Cael is nothing but wrong.

cmhawks99

Nov 15, 2008
Bourbonnais, Il
Who are the underclassmen that can afford to lose a year? Reader?

Coach stabs the university and all it's fans/alums in the back and you want to follow him? I'd say good riddence to any wrestlers that leave as well. Cut out all the cancer and start over. If you don't want to be at ISU, I don't want you at ISU either. ISU did everything right in this case, Cael is nothing but wrong.

There’s a shocker.................you insulting someone's character from behind the anonymity of a keyboard. All ISU's coaches are more classy and respectful than Iowa's until one does something you don't like and suddenly he is a cancer.

Do you have any friends?!?!

Chad