BYU, CINCY, UCF, UH Joining in Summer '23: Football Implications?

MickMack

Aug 6, 2016
I've never been, but have heard nothing but pretty good things.
Life long Cincinnati resident and UC fan here. I'd really encourage you to pay us a visit. It's a sneaky fun town that's made gigantic strides in the last few decades. If it's been a while since you visited you won't recognize the place. The food and beer scene here are A+. Over the Rhine, the area just north of downtown is a heck of a lot of fun. Nippert Stadium is small, but a fantastic venue. People call it the Wrigley of college football stadiums and I can't disagree. If anyone makes the trip let me know - first beer's on me.

As to the recruiting chatter earlier in the thread, I think the B12 has really helped recruiting (coupled, of course, with recent success on the field). UC's '23 class has 9 top 500 recruits, with more likely to follow. Fickell had something like 14 over all of his prior recruiting classes. I think going forward they'll get higher tier guys and have to rely less on finding diamonds in the rough. That strategy hasn't been all bad - look no further than Desmond Ridder and Sauce Gardner. But you want those guys to be the occasional gamble, not the way you pay the bills.

As to how this all impacts Iowa State's recruiting presence in Ohio, I don't think it will very much. When we as UC fans talk about our biggest competition it's primarily Kentucky, Michigan State (we recruit MI a lot), WVU and, to some extent, Ohio State. In looking up Iowa State's recent recruiting classes I didn't see more than a handful of Ohio recruits in any given class. No question you'll still be able to get that and perhaps even more because of UC's inclusion in the same conference. I think the place where it will get tougher is within the top 25 or so recruits in Ohio. That's been UC's big focus and Ohio State already reigns as king supreme there. If you look at 2023, UC has 8 commits out of that group and Ohio State is likely to end up with at least 7. That's 15 out of the top 25 kids in the state kept at home. I think getting to that pool of kids is going to be much tougher. But Ohio is a recruiting rich state and there are a ton of very talented kids even outside of that group. I just hope programs like Iowa State are able to pluck it over the likes of Kentucky.

Sorry for the long winded post. I look forward to many good matchups in the future. Best of luck this season!

20eyes

May 15, 2020
Life long Cincinnati resident and UC fan here. I'd really encourage you to pay us a visit. It's a sneaky fun town that's made gigantic strides in the last few decades. If it's been a while since you visited you won't recognize the place. The food and beer scene here are A+. Over the Rhine, the area just north of downtown is a heck of a lot of fun. Nippert Stadium is small, but a fantastic venue. People call it the Wrigley of college football stadiums and I can't disagree. If anyone makes the trip let me know - first beer's on me.

As to the recruiting chatter earlier in the thread, I think the B12 has really helped recruiting (coupled, of course, with recent success on the field). UC's '23 class has 9 top 500 recruits, with more likely to follow. Fickell had something like 14 over all of his prior recruiting classes. I think going forward they'll get higher tier guys and have to rely less on finding diamonds in the rough. That strategy hasn't been all bad - look no further than Desmond Ridder and Sauce Gardner. But you want those guys to be the occasional gamble, not the way you pay the bills.

As to how this all impacts Iowa State's recruiting presence in Ohio, I don't think it will very much. When we as UC fans talk about our biggest competition it's primarily Kentucky, Michigan State (we recruit MI a lot), WVU and, to some extent, Ohio State. In looking up Iowa State's recent recruiting classes I didn't see more than a handful of Ohio recruits in any given class. No question you'll still be able to get that and perhaps even more because of UC's inclusion in the same conference. I think the place where it will get tougher is within the top 25 or so recruits in Ohio. That's been UC's big focus and Ohio State already reigns as king supreme there. If you look at 2023, UC has 8 commits out of that group and Ohio State is likely to end up with at least 7. That's 15 out of the top 25 kids in the state kept at home. I think getting to that pool of kids is going to be much tougher. But Ohio is a recruiting rich state and there are a ton of very talented kids even outside of that group. I just hope programs like Iowa State are able to pluck it over the likes of Kentucky.

Sorry for the long winded post. I look forward to many good matchups in the future. Best of luck this season!
People will tell you that the Thanksgiving episode of WKRP is hands down the funniest episode and perhaps one of the greatest examples of Sit Com TV ever. But I feel like the "phone cops" episode where Johnny Fever and Venus Flytrap are stuck at the transmitter doesn't get enough run. What's your favorite episode?

MickMack

Aug 6, 2016
People will tell you that the Thanksgiving episode of WKRP is hands down the funniest episode and perhaps one of the greatest examples of Sit Com TV ever. But I feel like the "phone cops" episode where Johnny Fever and Venus Flytrap are stuck at the transmitter doesn't get enough run. What's your favorite episode?
I'm 44 and still too young to even know.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

Then why the **** are you all moving up to Columbus?

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017

Our Ohio guys tend to be more lower 3 star guys. The staff has done an excellent job scouting guys like David Montgomery and Mike Rose. We had Miyan Williams committed and almost got Thayer Munford, but Ohio State swooped in and got those guys. Trying to get the higher profile recruits in Ohio hasn't gone well for us, unfortunately.

• Agree
Reactions: CyBobby

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006

Oh for sure I will be visiting the first time we play there. Glad to have you guys in the league.

Reactions: t-noah

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Nailed it with Phone Cops play hardball and as God as my witness I thought turkeys could fly.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

I’ve been obsessed with seeing a game at Nippert since that Brian Kelly/Tony Pike season

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

FWIW I wanted to add Cincy/BYU several times over these 3 rounds of realignment we've been through.

• Agree
Reactions: Hoggins

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Our Ohio guys tend to be more lower 3 star guys. The staff has done an excellent job scouting guys like David Montgomery and Mike Rose. We had Miyan Williams committed and almost got Thayer Munford, but Ohio State swooped in and got those guys. Trying to get the higher profile recruits in Ohio hasn't gone well for us, unfortunately.
Thayer Munford? Avery Henry.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012

Was just there and Im a fan. Y’all got some legit pizza joints there.

BearcatsUc

Sep 9, 2021
Cincinnati
Cincy locked in that coach at 5 mil per year until 2028. I think that was key for them to maintain success. Seems like every decent coach they get runs as soon as they see some daylight.

Although I like the 4 schools from a skill level and competition standpoint, however I dont really like the 4 new schools from a roadtrip standpoint. Cincinnati is 9.5 hours(not bad but who wants to visit cincinatti?), BYU is 16.5 hours(mountains are fun in the winter but no booze), houston is 14.5(sounds miserable in late september/early october), and Orlando is 20.5 hours(absolute tourist trap) Although had fun at the last two bowl games there and managed to avoid all of the disney crap.
Kind of chuckled at this post.

I think the new entry destinations are more interesting/fun than the existing B12 destinations, with the exception of maybe Austin.

Cincinnati is hardly a tourist spot, but for a weekend there are plenty of places to eat, drink, and have a good time. - certainly more than Lubbock, Lawrence, Manhattan and the like. We are on the northern end of the Kentucky Bourbon Trail, and one of the better beer drinking cities in the country. Lots of good food as well.

Now I’ve driven to family in Austin from Ohio more than once. Without looking at a map, I have to think Ames is closer to Cincinnati than it is to Dallas, Lubbock, Waco, and Austin. And certainly flying into Cincinnati is easier that flying into most of the existing b12 cities.

I’m guessing that given nippert’s small size and the current buzz around UC football, a ticket will be a fairly difficult get.

Look forward to seeing ISU fans at Nippert.

Edited to add: I forgot about Dallas as a destination city. Dallas is legit and has very easy access, though my recent trip to the Sugar Bowl.left me underwhelmed with the place. I thought Dallas was awful. Endless miles of ugly sprawl.

Last edited:

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Kind of chuckled at this post.

I think the new entry destinations are more interesting/fun than the existing B12 destinations, with the exception of maybe Austin.

Cincinnati is hardly a tourist spot, but for a weekend there are plenty of places to eat, drink, and have a good time. - certainly more than Lubbock, Lawrence, Manhattan and the like. We are on the northern end of the Kentucky Bourbon Trail, and one of the better beer drinking cities in the country. Lots of good food as well.

Now I’ve driven to family in Austin from Ohio more than once. Without looking at a map, I have to think Ames is closer to Cincinnati than it is to Dallas, Lubbock, Waco, and Austin. And certainly flying into Cincinnati is easier that flying into most of the existing b12 cities.

I’m guessing that given nippert’s small size and the current buzz around UC football, a ticket will be a fairly difficult get.

Look forward to seeing ISU fans at Nippert.

Edited to add: I forgot about Dallas as a destination city. Dallas is legit and has very easy access, though my recent trip to the Sugar Bowl.left me underwhelmed with the place. I thought Dallas was awful. Endless miles of ugly sprawl.
Looks like 600 miles Ames to Cincy, only 50 miles longer than Stillwater, so outside of the Kansas schools and OSU you will be the closest to ISU.

Help Support Us

Become a patron