BYU, CINCY, UCF, UH Joining in Summer '23: Football Implications?

werdnamanhill

(⌐■_■)
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 23, 2017
Eastern IA -> Raleigh, NC -> Madison, WI
So, this will be the last year of the 10 team conference. I was wondering how these additions will affect football, especially recruiting. I'm a little worried that Cincy especially will make it a lot harder for us to recruit Ohio as effectively as we have the past few years. Should be an exciting conference though. What are people's thoughts on the new additions?

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
So, this will be the last year of the 10 team conference. I was wondering how these additions will affect football, especially recruiting. I'm a little worried that Cincy especially will make it a lot harder for us to recruit Ohio as effectively as we have the past few years. Should be an exciting conference though. What are people's thoughts on the new additions?
There will still only be two Power 5 schools in the densely populated football-crazy state of Ohio. Still plenty of talent to be mined.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
We'll have to see how the new Big XII ends up being perceived on the national stage once TX and OU depart. I doubt Cincy's recruiting will make a significant jump based on conference alignment alone. Ohio State will remain the big dog to fight off in OH, followed by Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, etc.

I'm much more concerned about NIL than Cincy in OH recruiting.

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
We'll have to see how the new Big XII ends up being perceived on the national stage once TX and OU depart. I doubt Cincy's recruiting will make a significant jump based on conference alignment alone. Ohio State will remain the big dog to fight off in OH, followed by Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, etc.

I'm much more concerned about NIL than Cincy in OH recruiting.
So far for 2023 Cincy is ranked 4th nationally, the last few years they were being ranked in the low 40's, and before that (5+ years ago) in the 60's.

Edit: These are based on 24/7's composite rankings.

• Informative
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
So far for 2023 Cincy is ranked 4th nationally, the last few years they were being ranked in the low 40's, and before that (5+ years ago) in the 60's.

Edit: These are based on 24/7's composite rankings.
Success breeds success. I had no idea they were that high. Thanks for the info.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
It is interesting that there will be four 14 team conferences for one short year and the fifth will have nearly the same number in 12.

Surely just a coincidence that means nothing because I don't think 14 is some magic number.

The one REAL thing that will be awesome is the sports media being complete idiots at basic fractions and percentages won't matter for one fleeting year.

Getting pretty tired of math challenged or lazy or dishonest sports media expecting the 10 teams from the Big 12 to output the exact same number of bowl teams or tourney teams as 14 or 15 team leagues. Worse yet failing to acknowledge when our mere 10 basketball teams straight up out produce the 14 and 15 team leagues even without factoring in how small our league is in comparison.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
It is interesting that there will be four 14 team conferences for one short year and the fifth will have nearly the same number in 12.

Surely just a coincidence that means nothing because I don't think 14 is some magic number.

The one REAL thing that will be awesome is the sports media being complete idiots at basic fractions and percentages won't matter for one fleeting year.

Getting pretty tired of math challenged or lazy or dishonest sports media expecting the 10 teams from the Big 12 to output the exact same number of bowl teams or tourney teams as 14 or 15 team leagues. Worse yet failing to acknowledge when our mere 10 basketball teams straight up out produce the 14 and 15 team leagues even without factoring in how small our league is in comparison.
Yes because we all learned long ago that 3 is a magic number.