Bye-weekend OT: Pro sports cities

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
OK, you're a pro athlete in 1 of the 4 sports in North America. Put aside winning/history.
What city would you want to live in/not want to live in? Can include current and former (ex Hartford) cities.

San Diego/Detroit

Reactions: Angie

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Denver/Portland/Chicago for ones to live in.

Detroit/Cincinnati/Oklahoma City for ones I wouldn't want to

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
If I'm a 20-something single dude, I can't imagine you could do much better than Miami. "Scenery" is unbelievable, plus night life etc. Also, no state income tax.

If I'm older, married etc, I'd be looking for a passionate, but not psychotic, fan base. That's probably going to put you in a smaller market, which at that point in my life would be fine with me.

• Agree
Reactions: somecyguy

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Seattle has great fans and is an amazing city. LA would have a great quality of life. Plenty of endorsement money and people there are used to seeing celebrities so you'd be left alone

Some place in Texas or Florida since they don't have state tax.

I'd stay clear of any small market unless I play for the Chiefs...

Stay away from Chicago and New York. Stupid media, bad weather, and high taxes

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Phoenix/San Diego/Denver

would not want Buffalo

gocy444

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
I live in Minneapolis right now and if the weather didn’t get so cold in the winter it would be a perfect city.

But if I’m 23 and have a $10,000,000 salary living in LA or Miami would be pretty ok.

• Agree
Reactions: dahliaclone

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Yes-Tampa, San Diego, Jacksonville, Chicago, MSP, Denver

No-NYC, Green Bay, Dallas, Houston, NO, Atlanta

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Yes - Denver, Nashville, Portland, San Diego

No - Detroit, NYC

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Last edited:

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Yes: Los Angeles (great for rich people) or Montreal (would get paid less but don't care)
No: don’t really know to be honest. Haven’t been enough places.

Last edited:

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Live in: San Diego

Green Bay has to be in the bottom 5 for pro sports cities to live in.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
This is tricky because there are a lot of factors and some don't matter if you're an athlete or just a normal joe blow.

Weather
Entertainment
Attention
Finances

Weather-San Diego regardless who you are

Entertainment-Depends on your age, marital status, etc. I don't think this one is actually as important as some people make it to be. For every Deion Sanders/Jeremy Shockey opening $1k bottles of Cristal at the club, you have 40 guys that live their life like normal 25-35 year olds. Some may hunt for entertainment, some may play video games, some may go out to eat, etc.

Attention-This depends a lot on the level of athlete. Lebrone James is going to get attention everywhere compared to an average outfielder for the Indians. I could see how this level attention could be actually worse in a place like LA, NYC, etc. where you have a lot of tourists. In this case, living in a place like Green Bay may actually make sense.

Finances-The average NFL player plays for around 3 years and makes about 4 million in that time. Sounds great but living a "large" lifestyle can quickly burn through that money. Even more so than you're average doctor/lawyer, who can just continue to have a high income, it would be important to live modestly. I think the most important piece would be thinking about where you would want to live after your career has ended.

So I guess it's more about how you live than where you live. You can spend a lot of money wherever you live. You can have a mortgage for a 40 million dollar house in GB, you can have a million dollar Bugatti in KC, etc.

I'm probably looking into this too deep. Screw it:

Yes
San Diego

No
Indianapolis

Help Support Us

Become a patron