Buying Christmas Tree in WDM

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Head up to Center Grove Orchard in Cambridge - beautiful selection.

StevieISU23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2007
Urbandale
8th St & I235 in West Des Moines has 2 Tree Lots that are literally next to each other (there is a orange snow-fence that separates the two. (southern lot is all trees are $45). (north lot might have slightly nicer trees for $60-$75).

22nd St and University Ave (slightly north on 22nd, and West side of road), also has 2 Lots...odd.
Southern Lot (by cool basil) had trees priced $25-$60). I bought a $30 dollar tree here.
It isn't the Most wonderful Christmas tree in the world, but it was alive and looks pretty good.

Northern lot at 22nd and Univ....I didn't stop, as I already had a tree...

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Menards usually has them in by now.
Are they cheap & high quality?

I actually just found this thread yesterday but was going to wait until after thanksgiving to bump. I haven't had a real tree since I was a kid, but think we're gonna give it a go this year.

We went to Center Grove for pumpkins this year & enjoyed it so we might go there for a tree too. Their website says a 5/6 ft 'premium quality' tree is $40, or a 6/7 ft '#2 quality' is also $40. Anyone know how big of a difference there is between the two? Or how that compares to the price/quality of a parking lot tree?

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

I actually just found this thread yesterday but was going to wait until after thanksgiving to bump. I haven't had a real tree since I was a kid, but think we're gonna give it a go this year.

We went to Center Grove for pumpkins this year & enjoyed it so we might go there for a tree too. Their website says a 5/6 ft 'premium quality' tree is $40, or a 6/7 ft '#2 quality' is also $40. Anyone know how big of a difference there is between the two? Or how that compares to the price/quality of a parking lot tree?

Menards has been hit and miss for me. If you live anywhere near a tree farm I would go that route in a heart beat. We did that as kids and it was a pretty big deal to pick out the tree and cut it down. Apparently I'm a crappy parento_O

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Any updates? Looked like a pretty good selection at the Urbandale hyvee yesterday. Prices there are $40 - $50 - $60 depending on size/quality.

djkent01

Feb 21, 2008
Des Moines, IA

To heck with the price, if you've got kids it's worth every penny. One of my greatest memories of my son is every year when he'd yell "tiiiiiiimmmmbbbbbeeeeerrrrr" as the tree we cut down fell. Hayrack ride afterwards to tote it back to the car. Good times.

Now I'm an artificial tree guy.

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
Got ours yesterday- went to Deals near Jefferson. Growing up my wife and I always had a real tree for the holidays. Since we have been married, 10 years, it’s been a fake tree- our kids are now to an age where it’s fun to go cut a real one. We didn’t find one to cut down that we loved so we picked one they had at the gift shop. Sticker shock for sure when we paid for that bad boy!