Buying a Car Out of State

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
There's an old thread on this topic here, but didn't want to resurrect it.

I may be buying a car out of state soon. I live in Iowa and am looking strongly at a car in either Missouri or Wisconsin (dealerships)

How will tax, title and registration be handled? Do I pay none of that at time of purchase, and go to the county recorder (Polk County resident) when I get back home to settle up?

Do they give me a bill of sale or something to take with me? (Obviously I won't have the title right away)

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston

I may be buying a car out of state soon. I live in Iowa and am looking strongly at a car in either Missouri or Wisconsin (dealerships)

How will tax, title and registration be handled? Do I pay none of that at time of purchase, and go to the county recorder (Polk County resident) when I get back home to settle up?

Do they give me a bill of sale or something to take with me? (Obviously I won't have the title right away)
Why no title right away? You should only be paying cash for vehicles. Uncle Dave Ramsey would not approve of this purchase.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
You will register the car in your county and pay the sales tax at that time. The dealership will give you all the paperwork. If it is used you might have to have it inspected. (Do they do that anymore?)
Living in Omaha I have bought several vehicles in Iowa.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
My truck was purchased in WI. The dealership took an educated guess at TTL and added that to my invoice then wrote a check to me for that TTL amount because they knew I'd be paying it when I went to register it in MN. My loan included TTL but it was paid up front.

Not every dealer does it the same way.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Yeah, depends on the stealership you work with, I think. I bought in Missouri over the winter, they didn't charge me any TTL; I ended up paying all of that to Dallas county when I received the title and registered the vehicle. Of course, a ridiculous notion to pay sales tax to a state in which the vehicle was not sold, but that's a topic for another day and thread......

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Dealerships will give you the paperwork and then you will need to go to your county courthouse. Keep the bill of sale in your vehicle, you will need that for proof of purchase if stopped by officers. The courthouse requires a purchase agreement now so if it's a private sale, make sure you have something written up as a purchase agreement.

JSmoove

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 19, 2012
2611 Helser, Louden
Every place truly must do it differently.

I bought our new Ford Explorer in Hudson, WI and I live just across the river in Washington County, MN. The dealership took care of everything. The car had those paper plates for two,three weeks until my MN plates came in the mail. They made it super easy.

Seems like it will depend on if the dealership is used to selling vehicles to out of state customers.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

I bought an SUV in Minnesota last year and got the title and bill of sale at time of purchase. Paid tax when I went to register it in Iowa.

• Agree
Reactions: dafarmer

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Sounds like each dealership does it differently, then. (Yes, using a dealership)

When I do get back, does anyone know for Polk County (IA) specifically which building I need to go to? The DMV (Ankeny place) or the Polk County Admin Building? (Downtown DSM).

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
If you trade a car in Minnesota, be sure to ask them for your plates. Apparently plates dont stay with the owner in minnesota like they do in Iowa. I had to ask for them when I traded my car and they looked at me like I was crazy.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
I paid cash a few years ago when I bought the Jag in Illinois. Got the title and paid the sales tax at the county building. Same as getting a car in Iowa. My only concern was carrying that much cash with me. Not that I was concerned about getting robbed the old fashioned way. I was worried the cops may stop me for some silly infraction and seize my money under the civil asset forfeiture laws. I brought some Iowa plates from another car and slapped them on so as to not draw attention from the AGWs on my drive home.

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
i bought a car in st louis without ever seeing it in person or going there.
i sent them a check for price of car + delivery. no tax.
they sent a truck with my car.
dropped it off at my house.
i went to the county and they made me pay them some money and gave me a title.
saved about 3-4k if i would have bought it locally.

JY07

Aug 20, 2009
DSM
Sounds like each dealership does it differently, then. (Yes, using a dealership)

When I do get back, does anyone know for Polk County (IA) specifically which building I need to go to? The DMV (Ankeny place) or the Polk County Admin Building? (Downtown DSM).

Like the prior posters mentioned you'd go downtown.

Bring a checkbook, and be prepared for potential bureaucratic ********: I registered a new car a few months ago and they initially turned me down because the printed name line for the dealership rep was literally printed from a printer, opposed to handwritten (signature line was handwritten).

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron