Bugs in Storage Unit Boxes?

shadow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Central Iowa
We're moving soon and looking to rent a storage unit.

My wife read one post on a message board that said you're basically guaranteed to get bugs in your boxes unless you tape the crap out of the box.

Any truth to this?

Anything to look for when renting a storage unit?

TIA

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
You could probably add some open containers of cedar chips as they are a natural repellant to bugs

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Think of how dirty the average person is and then imagine where they are stacking all their dirtiest **** they don't want.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Getting a house built and I just packed all our stuff into a storage unit. I had never heard of this. Great!

Reactions: motorcy90

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Go grab some pallets behind your local grocery store to elevate everything. Put your clothes in vacuum-sealed bags and then put them in a plastic tote with a lid.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: NWICY and cyputz

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Go grab some pallets behind your local grocery store to elevate everything. Put your clothes in vacuum-sealed bags and then put them in a plastic tote with a lid.

This is what I did as well. Bed is in mattress bags with second layer of plastic. Clothese are all vacuum sealed. Use storage tubs instead of cardboard boxes.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm and cyputz

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
Have used storage units a couple times over the years when we have had to move and NEVER had any issues. I do recommend elevating cardboard boxes. Never know when heavy rains will cause some flash flooding and most units are not real tight. Also in change of seasons the concrete floor is prone to sweating. I used totes as much as possible and stacked boxes on top of those.

Reactions: burn587

Ozclone

Dec 12, 2009
We're moving soon and looking to rent a storage unit.

My wife read one post on a message board that said you're basically guaranteed to get bugs in your boxes unless you tape the crap out of the box.

Any truth to this?

Anything to look for when renting a storage unit?

TIA

We sprayed some Ortho home defense insect killer pretty liberally around the unit and allowed it to dry before we loaded our stuff in. Used mostly tubs and kept any boxes off the floor. Then set out some mouse poison in two spots. Had absolutely no problems.

Reactions: aauummm