Bubu on scholly for one semester

nallen34

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 9, 2010
Ankeny, IA
Bubu, for now, is only on scholarship for this spring semester. He doesn't have one next year to give back.
This is simply a reward for his hard work, while that reward is available.

Why do you think it's just for this semester and not the rest of his time at iowa state?

Bigguns

Sep 22, 2008
Is he willing to forgo an entire year and have only one left to lay? If I am FH, I would use this as leverage.
Would u do that even if he was better than another player on scholarship, like maybe Sledge, Railey, or Booker?

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
I dont think bubu really cares or covets a scholarship that much. Im sure he likes having one and appreciates it, but if he had a problem with walkng on he wouldn't have come hereor transferred by now.

A-town Cy

Aug 4, 2006
Huxley
Nice, will save him a few grand on the semester before Drizzy Drake Long takes his schollie next year.

Bigguns

Sep 22, 2008
I dont think bubu really cares or covets a scholarship that much. Im sure he likes having one and appreciates it, but if he had a problem with walkng on he wouldn't have come hereor transferred by now.
I'm pretty sure wants one as much as the next guy does. I don't think he will transfer if he doesn't get one, but if Fred give some questionable 3 star kid out of HS, or another transfer a scholarship over Bubu I think he is making a big mistake and risks losing the respect of several of his players who also recognize the value of a player like Bubu. Some of the more selfish players won't care but the tough nosed blue collar players may. If Fred has a bigtime recruit on the line I'm sure Bubu will understand because the bottom line is Bubu wants to win as much as the next guy and maybe understands and is more flexible than most.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
After seeing this discussion, it's time to ask the $64,000 question.

Would Bubu get or be offered a scholarship elsewhere?

It's fine that he uses it when it's just sitting there open but come on.

Bigguns

Sep 22, 2008
After seeing this discussion, it's time to ask the $64,000 question.

Would Bubu get or be offered a scholarship elsewhere?

It's fine that he uses it when it's just sitting there open but come on.
Yes He is getting more time than a scholarship PG on our roster and he has been just as good or better than several PG's we have played against. McD probably would have given him one had he transferred to Creighton right away.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Yes He is getting more time than a scholarship PG on our roster and he has been just as good or better than several PG's we have played against. McD probably would have given him one had he transferred to Creighton right away.

How many teams would be willing to give a back-up pg (on a team with no starting pg)a scholarship for two years for one year of play? Not many.

nallen34

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 9, 2010
Ankeny, IA
Naz Long isn't going to be here next semester.

a quote from hoiberg from cyclones.com article.

Hoiberg also announced today that Nazareth "Naz" Long, a 6-4, 195-pound guard who signed a financial aid agreement with the Cyclones in October, will join the Iowa State basketball team in 2012-13.

"Naz has been playing great and we can hardly wait to see him in a Cyclone uniform," Hoiberg said. "We both agreed it would be best for him to continue playing high school basketball and finish out the semester in Canada. He's done everything we have asked him to do and he will be an important part of a very special recruiting class next year."

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Bubu comes from a well educated family that has enough money to send him to college and he is also very intelligent, at least compared to many players who their only shot at college is an athletic scholarship.

If he is getting playing time I would guess he is happy regardless.

CHAKAZULU

Mar 16, 2011
Bubu comes from a well educated family that has enough money to send him to college and he is also very intelligent, at least compared to many players who their only shot at college is an athletic scholarship.

I couldn't agree more with Rhoadhoused.You guys need to keep in mind that Bubu declined D1 soccer scholarships(3) to be a basketball walk-on.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

Bigguns

Sep 22, 2008

That argument hold no water. Are u saying u should only get an athletic scholarship if u are dumb and poor? Many D1 scholarship athletes com from well educated middle class families.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
That argument hold no water. Are u saying u should only get an athletic scholarship if u are dumb and poor? Many D1 scholarship athletes com from well educated middle class families.

+1

How is Bubu any less deserving of a scholarship than anyone else on the team?

If he doesn't have one, so be it - not my call. But the "justifications" for why he doesn't or shouldn't have one are pathetic.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
+1

How is Bubu any less deserving of a scholarship than anyone else on the team?

If he doesn't have one, so be it - not my call. But the "justifications" for why he doesn't or shouldn't have one are sound

First concern is doing what is optimal for the program, not a singular player. Bubu has little leverage, and Fred should use that to the program's advantage.

Help Support Us

Become a patron