Bubu Appeal Denied by Regents

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
It's the same process, as far as we know, for regular students and athletes.

I'm not telling you not to vent. It's America. Vent away. What I'm poking at is the idea that venting here will change something, and trying to offer up an approach that has a little more opportunity to get somewhere, if that's what you want.
I wasn't trying to say it isn't the same just it shouldn't be and there are other things that vary from athletes to regular students. The one big example I can think of is injuries if they are related to their athletics then I believe they have to release things about it. If it is not an athletic injury the student can restrict it from being released.

I know it won't change anything, but I just don't see how even if I put time into it would change anything. Also I have homework and finals which I should be studying for in the next two weeks.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I would say both. Leath I think is being overly cautious of being viewed as sympathetic to athletes. The Board of Regents I don't trust at all. They are appointed by certain people who have been shown to not follow the rules and are government bureaucrats.

Pretty sure the police have decided that she lied so I wouldn't consider that to be rumors.
I believe she was found to have lied about one piece of the evidence. Moreover, if Leath was found in the end to have not judged Palo "fairly" - he could be found liable. He can't be seen as favoring either side. Same with the BOR. Palo is free to file a lawsuit, after all...

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
I would say both. Leath I think is being overly cautious of being viewed as sympathetic to athletes. The Board of Regents I don't trust at all. They are appointed by certain people who have been shown to not follow the rules and are government bureaucrats.

Pretty sure the police have decided that she lied so I wouldn't consider that to be rumors.

I thought the Story county attorney determined there wasn't enough evidence to prosecute, and it was determined that the girl had lied about an important fact. Maybe it's just me but if she was caught in one lie, she may have lied about other facts that can't be proven. This whole story has just been very strange from start to finish, especially since BuBu was reinstated last year and no further charges have been brought forward. And I don't think it's surprising that Fred would stay clear out of this, what else could he do?

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I believe she was found to have lied about one piece of the evidence. Moreover, if Leath was found in the end to have not judged Palo "fairly" - he could be found liable. He can't be seen as favoring either side. Same with the BOR. Palo is free to file a lawsuit, after all...
Agree with everything you said. I think in the end if there isn't other evidence I would file a lawsuit if it was found that he didn't do anything after he can play. The key thing about her lying is it destroys her credibility and from what I understand this is a he said she said.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
You could say this about most court proceedings especially for matters of this nature, yet those are all public as well. For the same reasons those are public i feel like university judicial matters should be more transparent given the university is a state-run body.

Careful....do you want ANY and ALL student cases open? Now, if a freshman does something silly, no one knows if not criminal. Would you like if your mom or employer could call and say, "tell me about Johnny...oh, he had a minor judicial issue involving him doing something silly? Gla all I had to do was ask as it's an open system with no privacy rights"

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Agree with everything you said. I think in the end if there isn't other evidence I would file a lawsuit if it was found that he didn't do anything after he can play. The key thing about her lying is it destroys her credibility and from what I understand this is a he said she said.
And I don't know anything more about this than you do; just saying that Leath has a lot on the line not to be fair. He simply can't be determined to be biased for/against either side - he would be liable in that case. I trust our president. He must know something more than we do.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Careful....do you want ANY and ALL student cases open? Now, if a freshman does something silly, no one knows if not criminal. Would you like if your mom or employer could call and say, "tell me about Johnny...oh, he had a minor judicial issue involving him doing something silly? Gla all I had to do was ask as it's an open system with no privacy rights"
First off theres a difference between a regular student and an athlete. Second off you shouldn't do anything you wouldn't want an employer or your mom to find out about. Also if it was a minor judicial issue then why was he kicked off the team because there are plenty of athletes who have even gotten arrested that are still on their teams.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
I suspect that what he has admitted doing violates the conduct code.

Was there something BuBu admitted to doing? Maybe there is something new and we can assume that, or maybe not. We are just basically left with trusting the judgment of Leath and the BOR, who would very likely back up Leath anyway, so really this appears to be a decision by Leath that would have to be challenged in court. I believe BuBu's parents are professors so I doubt that's going to happen. I just hope there is some other concrete evidence, otherwise it looks like a he said she said situation, and she's already been caught in one lie.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Was there something BuBu admitted to doing? Maybe there is something new and we can assume that, or maybe not. We are just basically left with trusting the judgment of Leath and the BOR, who would very likely back up Leath anyway, so really this appears to be a decision by Leath that would have to be challenged in court. I believe BuBu's parents are professors so I doubt that's going to happen. I just hope there is some other concrete evidence, otherwise it looks like a he said she said situation, and she's already been caught in one lie.

That's what I am saying, what "he said," may violate the student conduct code.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Seriously, I don't like the way this was handled by Iowa State and I'm surprised that there hasn't been more scrutiny of the process. For instance, I don't think there is any public knowledge of who was on the judicial affairs committee that made the decision against Bubu (or who filed the initial complaint against him).

To be fair, I like the way Bubu handled it a whole lot less...

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
To be fair, I like the way Bubu handled it a whole lot less...
What not complaining to the media and believing that the process will find the truth and let him play. Not sure what he could have done differently.

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
Seriously, I don't like the way this was handled by Iowa State and I'm surprised that there hasn't been more scrutiny of the process. For instance, I don't think there is any public knowledge of who was on the judicial affairs committee that made the decision against Bubu (or who filed the initial complaint against him).

I'm glad Iowa State handled it...they handled it well imo.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I'm guessing that a lot of people around here don't have a whole lot of experience with the court system.

What was found was that one piece of evidence had a questionable provenance--which meant that it became not only essentially unsubmissable, but would have cast enough doubt upon the entire proceeding.

For a parallel, imagine if someone had realized before the court trial that O.J.Simpson's gloves had somehow shrunk.

No, I'm not a lawyer, but I did have a s/o who spent decades as an officer of the court, and often talked "shop" at home. That may be a rough parallel, but I think it's somewhat better than some of the assumptions people have been making.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I'm guessing that a lot of people around here don't have a whole lot of experience with the court system.

What was found was that one piece of evidence had a questionable provenance--which meant that it became not only essentially unsubmissable, but would have cast enough doubt upon the entire proceeding.

For a parallel, imagine if someone had realized before the court trial that O.J.Simpson's gloves had somehow shrunk.

No, I'm not a lawyer, but I did have a s/o who spent decades as an officer of the court, and often talked "shop" at home. That may be a rough parallel, but I think it's somewhat better than some of the assumptions people have been making.
http://blogs.desmoinesregister.com/...rges-dismissed-against-isus-bubu-palo/article
Just looked it up and it says she flat out lied about one thing and there were inconsistencies in the rest of her statement.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
This is bad situation. I think the handling of the whole situation reflects poorly on ISU. I feel bad for the kid. I wish him the best and hope he achieves great success from this obstacle.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Whatever. This team is good enough to win a lot of basketball games and I don't want him getting minutes over Monte this year. Our ceiling is so much higher with him as our backup PG.

You can tell the staff doesn't feel comfortable about this situation considering they weren't helping him in the appeals process at all.

I don't necessarily disagree with you here, but what kind of help in the appeals process could they have given him, other than moral support? Is Cornell Mann supposed to take night classes in order to become a paralegal or something? It just feels a bit capricious, arbitrary and silly to pull that out of thin air.

It's too bad for Bubu, and I remain sympathetic to him, but what's done is done. I just hope one of our guards doesn't go out for extended time with an injury.

Sad situation for everyone involved. Considering Bubu's academic credentials I hope he isn't reduced to working at a McDonald's after graduation due to this whole sordid mess.