bubble team article on ESPN

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
A "slow start" didn't seem to be a problem last year when an even younger Iowa team knocked off Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan before we were even halfway through January. Fran's got to extract more out of these guys; they're not even close to living up to their potential.
He needs to throw more chairs on the Titanic.

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
My money is on Thomas for the simple fact that he has one of the NBA's best shooters as his future coach.

Small sampling compared to other coaches, but he's off to a ridiculous start in this category. starting with Diante, and of course Korie has certainly gone from below average, to above average. Some guys didn't need much help (Scotty, Chris Allen...) but definitely are allowed the freedom to prosper in a scorer's offense. It's only a matter of time before he's held in higher esteem nationally.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
They got unlucky in where the ranked teams fell on their Big Ten schedule. They played Indiana, @Michigan, Michigan St, Wisconsin, and @Ohio St in 5 of their first 6 games. With as young a team as Iowa has it would have behooved them to play a stretch like that towards the end of the season. Last year all the wins came down the stretch as the team matured and Gatens started shooting lights out.

To be fair, having to play at Nebraska towards the end of the year was an awful big ask of such a young team too.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
To be fair, having to play at Nebraska towards the end of the year was an awful big task of such a young team too.

It was only due to fact it was the very last Bob Devaney Center Nebby game on Senior Day and their last game for the year.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I'm not worried about next year at all. Ejim and Naing our two starting forwards return. G will be a position of strength as long as Fred is here.

Plus I think our defense will be a little better next year. We will still have no problem shooting threes.

Exactly. What is their to worry about? Fred has proven he can reload as good as anyone in the past two years. Because our guards lack experience? Did our 5th year senior guards/wings show they closed games well this year?We will have a ton of talent next year and don't see us taking a step back. The days of seniors dominating college basketball are long gone.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Small sampling compared to other coaches, but he's off to a ridiculous start in this category. starting with Diante, and of course Korie has certainly gone from below average, to above average. Some guys didn't need much help (Scotty, Chris Allen...) but definitely are allowed the freedom to prosper in a scorer's offense. It's only a matter of time before he's held in higher esteem nationally.

It's rarely mentioned but Ejim went from "oh crap" taking open 3s to "oh yes" this year, especially in conference play. Pretty much every player we have improves their shooting steadily...unless like you said it's someone like SC who was already about as polished a shooter as they come.

I don't know if the stats show it, but when it's a good shot the other team is now making a mistake by not having him covered where last year it might have worked out for them. I don't think it's a total coincidence or just recruiting that we're a good shooting team.

D

DistrictCyclone

Here's a question. I think Iowa has solid talent returning. Does anyone think they would be better and win more games with a different coach?
Now that is an interesting question...I will say yes. Maybe they'd do better with a coach who isn't such a rager.

D

DistrictCyclone

8359142339_932fc1b6b3_o.gif

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Wonder if the assistant coaches wear earplugs? That just doesn't look like a healthy way to live.

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
It's rarely mentioned but Ejim went from "oh crap" taking open 3s to "oh yes" this year, especially in conference play. Pretty much every player we have improves their shooting steadily...unless like you said it's someone like SC who was already about as polished a shooter as they come.

I don't know if the stats show it, but when it's a good shot the other team is now making a mistake by not having him covered where last year it might have worked out for them. I don't think it's a total coincidence or just recruiting that we're a good shooting team.

I remember thinking early on in our non-con that we were atrocious at shooting FT's and didn't understand why with such a great "shooting" coach. I would agree that all of the players have improved their stroke and have become better shooters throughout the year. I can't wait to see what CFH can do with Thomas.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I remember thinking early on in our non-con that we were atrocious at shooting FT's and didn't understand why with such a great "shooting" coach. I would agree that all of the players have improved their stroke and have become better shooters throughout the year. I can't wait to see what CFH can do with Thomas.

What did we rank for FT shooting in our conference (conf only games)?