Bryce Dejean-Jones

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Where are people seeing 41% from 3, ESPN says more like 32% this past year with slightly better marks the previous two. Not saying he'd be a bad add just that he wasn't that great from deep.

Snyder21

Apr 25, 2012
Sioux City, IA
Quote from the article linked:

CBS analyst Doug Gottlieb told the Review-Journal that he overheard the locker room confrontation between Dejean-Jones and Kendrick.
“I was back in the bowels in the arena, and I heard some of the shouting and some of the shenanigans going on in the locker room,â€￾ Gottlieb, who called multiple UNLV games this season, told the newspaper. “I think Bryce was toxic. He was really hard to play with, but he needs a really strong personality as a coach, and Dave has to show that.â€￾

Fred is that coach!

http://ukrecruiting.bloginky.com/2014/03/19/more-details-on-possible-uk-recruits-tumultuous-past/

I don't mind him getting in his teammate's face for underachieving all year long. Kane had the same issue at Marshall. It's just some player's way of leading.

Plus, we have the locker room and group of guys who know how to take criticism and take on responsibility. All year long I saw our guys getting after each other on the court. This team is full of leaders and Dejean Jones was a leader for a frustrating UNLV team this past year. I think his personality would fit in well.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
I don't mind him getting in his teammate's face for underachieving all year long. Kane had the same issue at Marshall. It's just some player's way of leading.

Plus, we have the locker room and group of guys who know how to take criticism and take on responsibility. All year long I saw our guys getting after each other on the court. This team is full of leaders and Dejean Jones was a leader for a frustrating UNLV team this past year. I think his personality would fit in well.

Plus, like Kane when he came to ISU, he's coming into a locker room where he has to earn the other guys' respect before he can take that kind of leadership role.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011

When I played baseball, we would strap on boxing gloves to work out differences amongst teammates. There's something very cathartic about working out your differences aggressively.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Tyrus McGee got in Royce's face out on the court in that last non-existent game at Drake.
They were on opposite FT lines at the start of a timeout. Tyrus turned towards Royce and started screaming. Apparently, what he had to say required a more personal approach, so he ran down to the other FT line to speak his mind face-to-face.

In the next two possessions, we saw some of the magic Royce became known for. I don't remember ever believing that Tyrus was a bad teammate. Some people need shouted at.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Kane was "toxic" at Marshall and he turned out to be one of the best players EVER at ISU. That's not an exaggeration. Jones could fail at ISU but you never know if you don't try. We can afford to kick him to the curb if he doesn't get with the program. He needs to know that up front.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Yelling at teammates can be a couple different things. Could mean he's hard to get along with, and wants everything his way, or it could mean that he's disappointed about losing, and isn't happy with the effort his teammates are putting out there.

Looking at this kids' history of programs, teammates, and coaches he's been with, I'd guess his frustration is more based on the instability of the programs he's been at.

What he needs, and I think he has realized it, which is why he is transferring, is a fresh start somewhere with a solid coach, and a solid program. Some place he can just step in and play the way he is capable of. If not Iowa St, look for it to be a school that has a solid coach and talent already in place.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Bring him to Ames. Even if he's had problems, he can't afford to have any at ISU. Unless he enjoys the bench.

Snyder21

Apr 25, 2012
Sioux City, IA
On top of that most of these high profile 5th year transfers are trying to really show out in their final year. Often trying to be apart of a winning team and display their talents so they can go NBA bound or at least play professionally somewhere. They take this final year seriously most of the time and don't want to screw it up.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
If the coach is weak and the team is leaderless then reclamation projects will fail. But we have Fred and some strong leadership in the locker room with Georges, Hogue, Naz, and Monte.

lakeliving

Apr 11, 2006
Most people that have played sports realize that winning solves many problems. I have little doubt that winning is one of the things that DeAndre Kane was missing at Marshall and his success at ISU allowed him to develop into a great Cyclone. Losing changes people and puts people in a negative light. Winning and Fred.........well that is very bright light.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Contract years are real guys. You take this kid. If we have to boot him, so be it for us, huge deal for him. He has everything to lose and all we risk is a one year commitment with capable players even without him. That said, he makes us the best team in the conference next year and a better team than this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.